Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA thinking of direct SCL?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

BA thinking of direct SCL?

TRAVEL INDUSTRY NEWS: CHILE BRITISH AIRWAYS New routes to the region include Santiago

For two years British Airways analyzes the Chilean market to cater to Europe with a route that covers London-Santiago, and gave it to understand Willie Walsh, the then CEO of AIG. However, the truth is that the airline company has not ruled out Chile as a new long-range route.

Andrew Crawley chief commercial-office, said the decision to reach Chile goes through an evaluation process that will take between six months and one year. However, he added that they see Chile as an attractive destination because Santiago is the main hub of LAN, which is a signature of the same alliance, Oneworld, which gives it a special interest since Latam Airlines could be an interesting partner in regional passenger power.

To be the case, London to Madrid, Barcelona, Frankfurt, Paris and Amsterdam would be added as a direct European destination from the Airport Arturo Merino Benitez (AMB) of Santiago.

http://www.travelupdate.com.pe/inter...irian-santiago
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fingers crossed. It is a very obvious omission from the route map.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Didn't know W squared was CEO of AIG!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's direct it will be a loooonnng service. I do SCL via Paris with Air France's direct service, and on my last trip, about a year ago, I had an enforced and unexpected stopover in Rio, to take on more fuel. The chef de cabine said it wasn't unusual if there was headwind. It's not only Air France's longest sector, it's also their longest First flight too, which is a great way to get there.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:09 pm

Would this be BA´s longest route? 7,227 miles

The million Avios question is, would it be a route with First
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

It's got the 787 written all over it if it's true..

Not one for those who don't like a few bumps over the Andes...!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by BApilotinsider

787-8 or -9 with F ?

cs
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

No idea but I know they are looking very carefully at HNL direct as well. The 787 fleet is growing very quickly to be 24 airframes in 2 years time... lots of new routes possible...
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
No idea but I know they are looking very carefully at HNL direct as well. The 787 fleet is growing very quickly to be 24 airframes in 2 years time... lots of new routes possible...
Who wants to go to HNL direct when you can go via JFK and LAX?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Whilst nice, I can't see this happening. Too long and thin.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
For the geeks, BA used to operate to SCL stopping either at Rio or Sao Paulo out of Gatwick, BA2244/2245, 3 days/week on a 744 in the mid/late 90's. Late evening flight out, lunchtime flight back.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Fingers crossed. It is a very obvious omission from the route map.
I'd love it too and wouldn't be surprised - AF's and IB's SCL services tend to be packed in all classes every time I take them (like c-w-s I mostly do the AF way albeit sadly not in F!)

And it is long, but essentially the same order as, say, DOH-ORD or LAX-HKG, and less than DOH-IAH, DXB-SYD, or SIN-LAX.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

788 I reckon, and far more likely than HNL which is a flight to nowhere. SCL has a key industry for UK PLC - mining - delivering proper paid J traffic whereas Hawaii is a just a place for US citizens to sit in the sun without having to deal with evil foreigners.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Jun 8, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by ukgooner
Who wants to go to HNL direct when you can go via JFK and LAX?
Who wants to go to HNL when you can go to SCL?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 4:33 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver

Andes pretty skinny between Santi and Mendoza, the view is stunning and would be well worth the 20 minutes of slight bumpiness.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Whilst nice, I can't see this happening. Too long and thin.
Me neither, would it not just cannibalise MAD SCL on IB, at least to a degree? Since the tie-up with IB I have resigned myself to no more new South America routes on BA.

When IAG was formed did IB still have a stake in LA? If so then IAG is pretty well planted in SCL.

I have given up on MPN becoming a oneworld hub too

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.