Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers fly to wrong Grenada and sue BA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Passengers fly to wrong Grenada and sue BA

This one is good. A couple wants to go to Granada from Washington DC and end up in Grenada in the Caribbean.

They transferred from LHR to LGW and apparently only noticed that they were going to cross the Atlantic again on board the LGW-GND leg.

I would keep myself very quiet, just out of sheer embarrassment. Not only you're dim you also publicise the fact?

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....wrong-grenada/
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by mario
I would keep myself very quiet, just out of sheer embarrassment. Not only you're dim you also publicise the fact?
Wow, that's awfully mean. They telephoned BA, and asked for a flight from Washington Dulles to Granada Spain and back from Lisbon, Portugal to Washington Dulles.

The agent booked them to GND rather than GNX, and the ticket confirmation didn't refer to the country of destination, trip duration or even the airport code.

BA's lawyers then tried to wiggle out of making things right, even though BA weren't denying BA were at fault.

Last edited by 710 77345; Jun 6, 2014 at 9:16 am
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
I vaguely remember a story about a similar situation a few years ago when a lady booked a reward flight and ended up in the wrong one. Can't remember what happened but she wanted her airmiles back.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Wow, that's awfully mean. They telephoned BA, and asked for a flight from Washington Dulles to Granada Spain and back from Lisbon, Portugal to Washington Dulles.

The agent booked them to GND rather than GNX, and the ticket confirmation didn't refer to the country of destination, trip duration or even the airport code.

BA's lawyers then tried to wiggle out of making things right, even BA weren't denying BA were at fault.
OK, maybe they don't care about airport codes, spelling (Grenada/Granada), the fact that they were in F to Spain (on a shorhaul route), the (probably over-inflated) ticket price or that they had to transfer to another airport. I might understand that. But, wouldn't you find weird at least the flight departure/arrival times or the flight duration?

I'm sure it was a mistake, I once went to an SAA gate on my way to JNB from LHR and ended up missing my BA flight that departed at a similar time. But there were so many opportunities for this couple to spot that something was off that I stand by my original 'dim' assessment.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
I can see how this could happen.

First of all they are American. I don't mean this as an insult, I mean that they are used to flying "F" on short routes, so I don't think there would be any alarm bells there. Also the flight times don't seem too out there either. LGW-GND departs 10:10 and arrives 15:30. With time difference to Spain that would not look too out there to the uninitiated. BA eticket receipts do not show flight durations, nor do they specify the countries the airports are located. You can forgive anyone for not knowing their airport codes. As for the transfer of airport ringing alarm bells, do you not have to transfer to LCY to get to Granada? What is the difference?

I had a chuckle at first but the more I thought about it the more I actually thought people could be genuinely caught out by this.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:22 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by pipsi
I vaguely remember a story about a similar situation a few years ago when a lady booked a reward flight and ended up in the wrong one. Can't remember what happened but she wanted her airmiles back.
Sydney, Canada?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ng-Sydney.html
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; IHG
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It was the same GND GNX confusion. The only difference being she'd paid with airmiles, I have a feeling she ended up in the Caribbean but wanted to be in Spain. The miles she'd paid were based on Spain so she was actually quids in from a cost point of view but still wanted a refund.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by mario
OK, maybe they don't care about airport codes, spelling (Grenada/Granada), the fact that they were in F to Spain (on a shorhaul route), the (probably over-inflated) ticket price or that they had to transfer to another airport. I might understand that. But, wouldn't you find weird at least the flight departure/arrival times or the flight duration?
The point is that the airport codes weren't given to the ticket purchasers (not that I would expect this to ring alarm bells).

Why would a normal person not expect F to Spain? Virtually all short-haul in the US has an F cabin.

What sort of price do you think F costs from IAD-GND vs GNX? I have no idea, but wouldn't be surprised if a sale I fare on the LGW-GND fare is not hugely different to J LCY-GNX. Remember the agent booked it as an open jaw, so they were only paying to come back from LIS.

Why would they be surprised at changing airport? Would you expect to fly direct from LHR to GNX?

The other point is that the flight durations weren't shown on the ticket confirmation - just the arrival and departure times. The 6 hour time difference between GND and GNX means the extended flight time appears reduced when you just have the local arrival time!

Sure, there's ways we geeks could have spotted the problem here. But let's remember there's a real world out there and this is not an obvious mistake to catch. It's rather nasty to call people dim when they're just trying to have their first holiday in a couple of years - and an airline screws it up through no fault of their own.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I was going to give them an honourable mention, they at least saw the funny side of it.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
It was the same GND GNX confusion. The only difference being she'd paid with airmiles, I have a feeling she ended up in the Caribbean but wanted to be in Spain. The miles she'd paid were based on Spain so she was actually quids in from a cost point of view but still wanted a refund.
Here's the thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...a-granada.html
Old Jun 6, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 710 77345
They telephoned BA, and asked for a flight from Washington Dulles to Granada Spain and back from Lisbon, Portugal to Washington Dulles.

So they say.

From where do you draw the inference that BA has admitted making a mistake?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
+1
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Plaintiffs state in their complaint that the BA customer service rep in Miami and the supervisor there admitted that the "ordeal" was BA's fault. BA has not filed an answer to the complaint yet so has neither admitted nor denied this allegation.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Just for everyone else, obviously I know myself, is the one in Spain pronounced like the TV company?

And the Caribbean one is gre-NAY-da?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
As a young lad on one of my first business trips I was intending to go to Greenville(Spartanburg), SC but I ended up in Greenville, NC. Picked up the rental car and couldn't figure out why the directions made no sense (pre GPS.) Figured it out and backtracked through CLT, arriving where i needed to be after lunch vs 10 am. The receptionist mentioned i was not the first visitor who had made that mistake- small consolation for the grief i got from my colleagues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.