Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does anyone wish they could sit in WT+, and then when it's bedtime, retire to CW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does anyone wish they could sit in WT+, and then when it's bedtime, retire to CW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

I flew HKG to LHR in CW today, and during the first part of the flight, before I went to bed, I thought I massively preferred WT+'s seats.

Obviously, having more legroom is great, but I find the WT+ seats have more places to put things. I can put my bag under the seat in front of me, and stuff random things in the front seat pocket. And if I've just got a drink, I can put it on the cup holder in my arm rest, rather than having to keep the whole tray open...

And then if you're in the aisle, the air stewards constantly reach over you to pass the window seat guy a croissant or whatever.

Also, when I'm asleep, I never know what to do with my headphones/bottled water. The laptop tray is underneath the lie flat bed, so I can't put it there, and there isn't any other place to put it, so I just have to sleep with it!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Welcome to FT!

Isn't this a bit like LH 747 F?

You might like midhaul CW as, if you have a solo seat, there are 2 bottle holders, storage areas, magazine pockets, and also a space between the seat and the wall where you can put a bag, two massive tables on either side and a place where you can store your phone / headphones / cables / whatnot next to your seat

Oh, and no food going in front of your head to the window seat occupant as you mention, if you're in a solo seat!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:53 am

Welcome to FT.

And no, I don't.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Also, where the hell is the "Club Kitchen"? I was kind of expecting something like the bar on Virgin Upper Class, but I could only move around in my aisle, and couldn't see any kitchen...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Saralk
And then if you're in the aisle, the air stewards constantly reach over you to pass the window seat guy a croissant or whatever.
LOL. I feel sorry for whatever poor stewardess gets u
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:14 am

No I don't. No privacy and not as comfortable.

Also, where the hell is the "Club Kitchen"? I was kind of expecting something like the bar on Virgin Upper Class, but I could only move around in my aisle, and couldn't see any kitchen...
The Club Kitchen isn't a bar! It tends to be a selection of snacks on a shelf next to the CW galley. Its position varies depending on the aircraft type. On a Hi-J 747 for example, it's next to the galley at the foot of the stairs.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold. Marriott Gold.
Unbelievable scenes Jeff!

It is an interesting discussion point...but usually on any aircraft (perhaps aside from F) someone is going to passing croissants in front of your face.

I'd take the leg room, bed, privacy everything in CW over WT+.

A nicer bar/kitchen area would be pleasant - but my experience of the EK A380 bar is it is very noisy so you need to sit away from it to get some rest.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I flew HKG to LHR in CW today, and during the first part of the flight, before I went to bed, I thought I massively preferred WT+'s seats.

Obviously, having more legroom is great, but I find the WT+ seats have more places to put things. I can put my bag under the seat in front of me, and stuff random things in the front seat pocket. And if I've just got a drink, I can put it on the cup holder in my arm rest, rather than having to keep the whole tray open...
The CW seat is still, I feel, more comfortable than the WT+ seat.

You're still correct, though: the lack of storage space for CW seats is ridiculous.

The best BA CW seats, by general acclamation, seem to be 64A/K and 62A/K on the 747 upper deck. If they are, then they have:

A full flat reclining seat. Easy access to the aisle and a window view. Handy storage compartments next to you that you can use all the time, big enough for a small bag, and access when the bed is flat.

This is what you get on EVERY new AA seat, as well as the new CX seat (Pinnacle) - instead of on only a few BA seats. Everyone else in CW is wondering where on earth to put even the smallest things, such as glasses and phone/iPod.

CW storage is ridiculous and the comparison with other J seats will only get worse as AA replaces all their seats with Pinnacle and CX does the same. BA could have tried a lot harder with the CW in the A380s and 777Ws even with the current head-to-tail layout.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by DomesticusTaxmius
my experience of the EK A380 bar is it is very noisy so you need to sit away from it to get some rest.
True, but it can be great fun on a day flight!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver
No thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by DomesticusTaxmius
Unbelievable scenes Jeff!

It is an interesting discussion point...but usually on any aircraft (perhaps aside from F) someone is going to passing croissants in front of your face.
Yes, but back in Y the croissant is packed in a box which is thrown across you to you one (or two) inner flight buddies. Not like J were it is warm, crummy and is offered across you. Give me Y any time for the croissant delivery efficiency.

If I am in J i only look forward (and possibly upward), never backward.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
There are some handy nooks and crannies, although not necessarily for the things that the OP had in mind:

Magazines slot nicely next to the arm rest:

Books can be put between the seat and the divider with the next seat:

Your amenity kit slots nicely between the seat shell and the fuselage by the armrest:

And the pillow fits between the seat shell and the fuselage at the back of the seat:
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC
You created your own expectations of a VS type bar entirely in your head, so it's not really something you can complain about really...
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by destere
You created your own expectations of a VS type bar entirely in your head, so it's not really something you can complain about really...
That's true, but I couldn't even find the damn thing!

I was super excited too because I love water, on the flight over I counted 6 empty bottles around my seat, so I was planning on just raiding the fridge and getting all the water !!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome Saralk

My belated greetings to you, Saralk, welcome to Flyertalk, thank you for joining us here on the BA Board. I hope you continue to play an active part in this forum, it's good to see you here.

I'd not be very happy with a WTP seat, since I'm very happy with CW, and by dint of using the 747 UD, 380s and 787 aircraft, the window seat have plenty of accessible storage space in their side compartments. There is a knack to getting a good seat position in CW, which is actually easier in the older fleet, the so called Z shape. The idea of a staffed bar on a BA service - which comes up from time to time - would not fill me with much happiness - the less movement in the cabin the better!

I keep meaning to travel on a proper longhaul WTP one day, must get around to it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.