Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Vegas, baby!!! - A live tale of turning 40 and earning a CCR card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Some of you may remember the great deal that popped up a few months back on Iberia flights out of France; Flights to the US in business class for a little over £900! My girlfriend decided that we should take advantage and head to Vegas for my 40th. We tried to book via LHR and LAX on the A380 using ebookers.fr, but it wouldn't ticket, so in the end we chose an outbound to LAX via JFK and inbound via LAX and MIA, with onward flights to Vegas purchased separately. Slightly painful routing, but little more than the price of an economy ticket with lots of points thrown in! As it turned out, that was a great decision as various business flights, on top of planned, personal travel, along with a sneaky tier point run to Hawaii, has meant that this trip will tip me over the magical 5,000 tier point mark, giving me GGL and a CCR card

We're currently somewhere between JFK and LAX, on a swanky new A321 I might add, having left London last night, flown to Paris and picked up our flight to New York this morning. I officially turn 40 in 30 minutes and my girlfriend is fast asleep beside me, so I thought I'd share it with you guys instead, since it's all mostly due to the advice I received on here
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:47 pm

Pics or did not happen.

Happy Birthday!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:48 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
You lucky lucky boy. Happy 40th. You will never be as young as you are this very minute. Carpe diem.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

We flew from LHR to CDG last night on BA, booking a hand baggage only fare a couple of months in advance. I had the option of upgrading to CE for £59 on the outbound and £65 on the return, but, with just over 5,000 points in the bag already and only 40 minutes in the air, it didn't seem worth it, especially as we planned to eat in the F lounge beforehand.

The flight over was okay, but the service was very much below par; the stewardess didn't listen to anything I ordered, got both our drinks wrong then tutted when I politely asked for the correct drinks. She then managed to pour water over me, rolling her eyes and shrugging when I asked for napkins. Luckily it was a short flight, so not the end of the world.

When we arrived at CDG we went straight to the hotel - the CDG Hilton. It was a bit of a trek, involving a long walk and a short train ride. We found out afterwards that there is a shuttle from outside T2, but not to work. I need the exercise at my age

By the time we checked in the executive lounge was closed, but we were able to get a couple of free glasses of bubbles form the bar. Our room was pretty standard, with no upgrade offered, but we were only going to be there for 9 hours, so it was fine.

Like some deranged gerbil, Ms Monkey was up at 6.30, pounding the treadmill, while I lay in bed counting the tyres around my waist. At least now I can get away with blaming it on 'middle aged spread'! When she came back, we got ready, checked out and headed to the airport via the hotel shuttle bus. Check in was pretty straight forward, although the security grilling we got beforehand was a bit extreme! The airport was fairly busy, but our Oneworld status earned us the right to skip the queues, both at passport control and security, so we were straight through in minutes. I read on here that the CX lounge is much nicer than the Flagship lounge, so we went straight there to try the noodles, and I have to say... MMMMMMM!

Okay, so she may not really be taking off, but let's enjoy the memories...

The CX lounge in CDG. It's nice, but it's no T5 GF.

The famous CX noodles!

I'm used to leaving it quite late to board, but AA flights seem to board early, so by the time we were considering leaving the lounge they were already calling for us, so we rushed to the gate and were last onboard. I wasn't sure what to expect as I'd heard such bad things about the old 757s out of Paris, but I was pleasantly surprised. I actually really like it! I'm using the same route in April to fly to Seattle, via 24 hours in JFK, with my daughters so it was good to try it out in advance.

Business class seats on the international 757

AA's Amenity bag

Passing over the Emerald Isle on the way to New York

The flight was quite long, but with lots of work to do and Galaxy tablets to keep us entertained when I needed a break, it went by very smoothly. The service was excellent, as I've found on most AA flights, and the food was actually delicious! We were supposed to be sitting at the back of the cabin, but the front seats were available, so we asked if we could sit there instead. I mentioned that the main reason we chose the back seats was because it was an odd flight number and we wanted first choice of meal, so the very sweet stewardess took our order first anyway

In flight entertainment was excellent, courtesy of the Galaxy tablets handed out by the crew. It came pre-loaded with a really good choice of films and, although we both had our own QC15s, I think it's great that AA gives them out onboard. Way better than the nasty earphones we get on BA! Ms Monkey (let's call her Dani for fun because, eh, that's her name and Billinghamn has introduced us all to Vicky!) much prefers the tablets to fixed screens as 1) they're much easier to control and 2) they're easy to replace when things go wrong, unlike the inflight entertainment system on the shiny, new 321, but more of that later...

Galaxy Tablet for inflight entertainment - A great option!

Lunch was served about an hour after take off and was quite delicious! I had been with potato gratin and Dani (the vegetarian!) had chicken.

My beef, very nicely cooked and absolutely delicious!

Dani's chicken

There were starters too, but I didn't get any pictures of them. Sorry!

I had a lot of work to do on the flight, which kept me busy for a few hours; however, after a while I was quite tired, so settled down for my first attempt at sleeping on a sloping flat bed! It was actually surprisingly comfortable, although the only way to sleep really is on your back. I did find, however, that I slid down the bed a lot, which was quite annoying, but it was certainly a lot better than trying to sleep in an economy seat and I really can't complain for the price we paid! Our route took us quite far north, over the ice fields, although with the amount of snow in the US at the moment it all looked much the same!

Another me was served 90 minutes out of New York. I had a cold beef salad with Banoffee cheese cake for dessert. Dani decided not to have anything, but did her best to demolish my dessert! Grrrrr...

We landed in JFK about 25 minutes ahead of schedule to what could only be described as a ghost town! Immigration was completely empty in a way I have never seen before. We were the first to arrive from the flight and were processed in minutes, so headed straight to the Flagship lounge so I could get online and send all the emails I had prepped during the flight.

All in all it was turning out to be a great trip so far, and with the new A321 to look forward to on our next trip, I was very excited! (I know, I'm such an anorak!!). With 150 points in the bag so far, that lovely CCR is looming ever closer! Thanks for sticking with me this far. I'll pick up the next instalment later in the thread.

Last edited by Filthy Monkey; Mar 1, 2014 at 8:44 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:01 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Happy Birthday Filthy Monkey and have a great time.

Sadly, I am very much the wrong side of 40

Anyhow, I saw this photo when I was on holiday in Barrie, Canada last summer.

I suspect that you are a Beerologist then and own such a company?

Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Ha ha ha! That is funny. I actually work for a beer company, so it's quite appropriate
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Happy birthday (from Vegas also!)

If you need any recommendations for restaurants or clubs out here let me know!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Ha! I was walking around Barrie with Jnr P one day and in the High Street (a very small one at that!) as soon as I saw it, your name immediately sprang to mind so hence me taking the photo.

It's in my TR for that somewhere but if you are ever in Barrie you must have a pint in there!

http://www.theflyingmonkeys.ca/
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Happy birthday - and appreciate the CDG Hilton shuttle tip, am staying there in just over 2 weeks after I watch Ireland win the Six Nations
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Happy birthday Filthy Monkey - glad your trip is going well. Sounds like you had a great start to your trip. Enjoy LAX and LAS for your birthday bash.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys I have now arrived in Vegas so I am 39 again! ...for the next 90 minutes
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Which hotel are you staying at in Vegas? Somewhere grand I hope!

Last edited by billinghamn; Feb 27, 2014 at 12:24 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys I have now arrived in Vegas so I am 39 again! ...for the next 90 minutes
Happy Birthday. Have a great trip!
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Plat, Avis PC, Sixt Pl,
Congrats on the 40th - mine is coming up fast!

Looking forward to hearing about J in the A321, 4 weeks till we do JFK-SFO/LAX-SFO on it.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: F
Congrats on the 40th!

I'm off to Vegas later this year on my first of many "TSA Secret Shopper Tours" (post hip replacement ).

Last edited by redshift27; Feb 27, 2014 at 12:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.