Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Board Valentines Day Thread 2014 - Promotional Offers? Trip Planned? Stories?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Board Valentines Day Thread 2014 - Promotional Offers? Trip Planned? Stories?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Now IIRC there used to be some offers on from BA for the above day but I can't see anything advertised yet other than an article in the BAEC latest issue of 'The Club' which contains the following at the very end of this post. So anyone got any thoughts on any offers, plans, funny stories (new or old!) on Valentines Day with a BA theme.

Now I suspect a few folks will be saying it's all a waste of money, time and a load of codswallop but for many it may be significant or reminiscent of something, possibly. I used to be a bit of a poet in my old romantic days (long gone ) so here are my latest efforts at some odes.

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue
I can't live without BA, nor Flyertalk too
I've had a great time flying, especially last year
Including at the Hong Kong Do, where I had too many a Beer

Feel free to add your own

[STORY] A long time ago (I was 19 or 20) I had a double date on Valentines Night. I made an excuse to go out early with my first 'Valentine' and after a few drinks I made an excuse I wasn't well and had to go home. I then went on my later date late that same evening...... [/STORY] I thought that was quite honourable as I didn't want to let either girl down.

Anyhow, here are the details of the articles on 'The Club' Page from ba.com.

1) Brazil

Dia dos Namorados (Day of the Enamoured) is celebrated on 12 June in Brazil. Young women write down the names of their crushes on pieces of paper, fold them up and place them in a hat. They then select a random name, which indicates the one they should marry.

2) China

In some cities in China, those too busy to look for a date can get handwritten adverts clipped up in public areas such as parks – by their grandparents. Yes, Chinese elders help out their younger family members by finding love for them.

3) Denmark

In Denmark, men present a special lover’s poem, called a gækkebrev, to their admirer, signed anonymously using a dot for each letter of his name. The woman is supposed to guess the author of the poem, and if she guesses correctly, then she’ll be given an Easter egg in the spring.

4) Taiwan

The day of love is celebrated twice during the year in Taiwan. Once on 14 February and once on 7 July. On these two days, men send their loved ones red roses, but not the usual dozen. In fact, the number of roses sent is like a code: one rose means your partner views you as his one and only love, 11 means you are his favourite, 99 roses means his love is forever and 100 is a marriage proposal.

5) South Africa

Putting a twist on the ancient festival of Lupercalia, many South African women wear their hearts on their sleeves. Literally. In some cases, men discover their secret admirer by spying their own name on a woman’s shirt sleeve.

6) Japan

In Japan, women buy the gifts for Valentine’s Day, presenting men with chocolates. The type given depends on the relationship – with friends, relatives and even colleagues all receiving something. A month later, men present their special lady with something in return, but it has to be two or three times more expensive than the gift they received.

7) South Korea

In South Korea they take this one step further. On 14 April, people who didn’t receive a gift meet up at restaurants to eat jajangmyeon (noodles in a black bean sauce), to celebrate or mourn their single status.

Finally, do CC ever get gifts on this day from passengers?

Last edited by PETER01; Feb 1, 2014 at 10:09 am Reason: removing some hyperbole and fixing link
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PETER01
7) South Korea

In South Korea they take this one step further. On 14 April, people who didn’t receive a gift meet up at restaurants to eat jajangmyeon (noodles in a black bean sauce), to celebrate or mourn their single status.
South Korea there is another day in which is one month after Valentines Day - White Day where girls give chocolate or gifts to guys.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I'm flying back from GVA on V day. I'll be happy if the any of the crew decide they want to give me a present!
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LDNConsultant
South Korea there is another day in which is one month after Valentines Day - White Day where girls give chocolate or gifts to guys.
Ah, one learns something new every day on here!

Originally Posted by stu1985
I'm flying back from GVA on V day. I'll be happy if the any of the crew decide they want to give me a present!
To increase your chances, post your flight details on ba.97.com, attach your yellow FT tag to your luggage. Then it will be easy to spot a 28 year old male GCH which the crew may pick up from here/ba97.

The odds, I/d say....... 0.16% of being lucky.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I sent a BA a valentines card the other day.

I have a wee fancy for their little sexy Embraer 170.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I sent a BA a valentines card the other day.

I have a wee fancy for their little sexy Embraer 170.
At least someone likes that tight beast.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
8) North America
March 14th NSFW
Old Feb 1, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
To increase your chances, post your flight details on ba.97.com, attach your yellow FT tag to your luggage. Then it will be easy to spot a 28 year old male GCH which the crew may pick up from here/ba97.

The odds, I/d say....... 0.16% of being lucky.
0.16%?! Dammit! I'm sitting in 1A - take note crew lurkers here. I'm the young good looking one () in amongst all the old lot That has to increase my chances, no!?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI des Soins Medicaux, Le médecin personnel à PUCCI GALORE

I'll be on a flight to BGI on 14th. I do hope they load additional champagne...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:47 pm

I thought that was quite honourable as I didn't want to let either girl down.

[
Is that what they call "player" in the US

Thought of going to Dusseldorf, not been there for over a decade, but the hotels that weekend, crazy prices. I can not even remember the year I lived there that the V day was so busy.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:31 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Deckard
8) North America
March 14th NSFW
You really dont need a day for that... I call that my normal Wednesday afterwork function
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Breakfast in the CCR for us and then heading out to Athens. We shall lay off the fizz if it is Monopole
Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: LX SEN, BA Gfl/GGL, IC Dia, HH Dia, Hyatt LT GLOB
Nice thread! Since some weeks I've been seeing a truly wonderful woman; the best way to describe her is that on her boarding pass "SSS" would be printed: smart, sensible & sexy Really like her but unfortunately I'll be away on Valentines Day, off to CPT as this has been planned for quite some time now and can't be rescheduled. However, I've now arranged something special for her for this day, a nice surprise is awaiting her in the morning. And when being back, I take her out to a nice dinner. Well, she thinks it's just dinner in town, but no - hey, we're all flyertalkers - she will get treated to an evening in London. Thank you BA!

Hope she like it! Well, I'll be flying back from South Africa one day after Valentines Day. So either I'll be the happiest men on earth or quite shattered. Well, anyway, in both cases a good excuse to hit the bar on board respectively in the CCR later on.

So keep your fingers crossed for me.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Well I'm flying alone on the 9pm shuttle to Edinburgh. Very romantic
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stu1985
0.16%?! Dammit! I'm sitting in 1A - take note crew lurkers here. I'm the young good looking one () in amongst all the old lot That has to increase my chances, no!?
No

Originally Posted by Polomarc
Is that what they call "player" in the US
Yes

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Breakfast in the CCR for us and then heading out to Athens. We shall lay off the fizz if it is Monopole
Sounds nice. Is the Monopole that bad?

Originally Posted by Frequent_Flyer1
Nice thread! Since some weeks I've been seeing a truly wonderful woman; the best way to describe her is that on her boarding pass "SSS" would be printed: smart, sensible & sexy Really like her but unfortunately I'll be away on Valentines Day, off to CPT as this has been planned for quite some time now and can't be rescheduled. However, I've now arranged something special for her for this day, a nice surprise is awaiting her in the morning. And when being back, I take her out to a nice dinner. Well, she thinks it's just dinner in town, but no - hey, we're all flyertalkers - she will get treated to an evening in London. Thank you BA!

Hope she like it! Well, I'll be flying back from South Africa one day after Valentines Day. So either I'll be the happiest men on earth or quite shattered. Well, anyway, in both cases a good excuse to hit the bar on board respectively in the CCR later on.

So keep your fingers crossed for me.
Good luck and I hope it all works out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.