Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is charging to select seats normal in BA business class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

I used AA miles to book a flight for two people with British Airways from Rome to Toronto via Heathrow in business class .

When I called to select the seats, they charged me $64 for seats 4A&B for the first leg of the trip home (767-300 763 V5), and $196 for seats 18A&B (747-400 744 V2) for the second leg. There is no stopover in London, just change of planes.

They did mention there would be no charge if I waited to select the seats within 24 hours of the flight...but I figured we wouldn't get seats together at that point.

I'm going the other way using UA points on AC and there were no charges to select seats in business class. This is my first time using BA.

Last edited by pwrshift; Jan 21, 2014 at 8:44 pm
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Yes it is unless you have status or buy a fully flexible ticket.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:04 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...a-charges.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...erve-seat.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ess-class.html

It is a great policy for status holders, in particular those who book with very little time before departure.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback...not exactly what I wanted to hear, but...

Even though my flights aren't until October, I found it interesting that almost all seats were 'restricted' to me...probably for BA status members. She selected the only 2 seats that were available for me to get, yet she said they weren't all booked as that date is a long ways off.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Put the pnr in the BA manage my booking and have a look at available seats.

If you have paid for them you are much better off reserving upstairs on the 747 unless somebody has mobility issues.

Row 63 A/B or 63 J/K would be my choice.

The 'pay for seats' helps status holders that are paying the top $ still get a fair choice when they book late. ....

A big hitting flyer paying top $ is not going to be happy if we have grabbed all the best seats using miles months in advance.....and only middles left!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
A big hitting flyer paying top $ is not going to be happy if we have grabbed all the best seats using miles months in advance.....and only middles left!
No but this can easily be handled by reserving some premium seats for status pax. I think it's a disgrace that you can't reserve a seat at the time of booking without extra cost.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, GF, EK, WY
Originally Posted by Lobengula
No but this can easily be handled by reserving some premium seats for status pax. I think it's a disgrace that you can't reserve a seat at the time of booking without extra cost.
I agree. Reserve the windows, aisles and bulkheads for status passengers or those willing to pay and let others make their no-cost choice from the remaining middles.

You create the perception of 'choice' in the matter and leave your revenue stream unchanged and your elites happy. Sorted

Sounds rather like AA policy if I'm not mistaken ?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Lobengula
No but this can easily be handled by reserving some premium seats for status pax.
Given the way that some seat maps looked before it was possible to pay for CW seats (if you didn't qualify for free seat allocation), the proportion that would need to be reserved for status pax would probably be about 80% of the cabin.

Is that what you had in mind, or would you prefer to see a system that stuffs some high status pax completely if they are booking during the last four or five days before travel (and therefore likely to be the most profitable passengers in the cabin)?

All is a balance, and none of this is "easy".
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by pwrshift
... and $196 for seats 18A&B (747-400 744 V2) for the second leg.
It costs a little more to do this, but I would also recommend upper deck seats if they are still available to you. 63AB, 63JK and 64AB can be pre-allocated for a fee. I think that most would reckon that to be an ascending order of preference (ie 64AB would be the best pair out of those three) - but as Skipcool3's post shows, this is very debateable as they are all decent seats up there.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

I've never seen this seating configuration before, as most of my flights have been with Air Canada in their business class 'pods'. The photos I've seen on BA's business class raise a couple of questions?

1. How would a window seat passenger get to the washroom in the middle of the night and not disturb the aisle passenger?

2. Any effect of 'flying backwards' ?

Appreciate your above suggestions, and will probably take seats 63J&K as mentioned for the $44 extra. When I called this afternoon there were several available this far out, but I hesitated. Will call in the a.m. to confirm as they are closed at this time.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: ABBA
If you don't have oneworld saphire status you obviously don't spend a lot on oneworld airlines. On BA a single JFK-LHR-CPT CW return at £5k gets you oneworld saphire.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
I've never seen this seating configuration before, as most of my flights have been with Air Canada in their business class 'pods'. The photos I've seen on BA's business class raise a couple of questions?

1. How would a window seat passenger get to the washroom in the middle of the night and not disturb the aisle passenger?

Appreciate your above suggestions, and will probably take seats 63J&K as mentioned for the $44 extra. When I called this afternoon there were several available this far out, but I hesitated. Will call in the a.m. to confirm as they are closed at this time.
1) Although you just can't stumble out of the window seat, this isn't difficult. I think of it as going over a high hurdle. Although you don't have to step THAT high, it's much better to go higher than lower.

2) This could be a question that's totally up to the individual, much like carsickness. I have taken CW flying forwards and backwards and don't have any problems flying backwards. And, although my dozen CW flights in the past three years is obviously a small sample size, I have never observed any of my fellow passengers having a problem.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:01 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond

1. For the ying yang configuration I actually find it easier than stepping over someone who is lying in the same direction in other non-ying yang configurations. It is just a largish step to get over the other passengers legs.

2. None for me. As a plane is slightly nose up when flying I prefer it as my head is slightly higher when sleeping and facing backwards.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:46 am

Programs: ABBA
Crashing backwards is safer. Useful thing to put on a risk assessment - "I must fly CW so I can fly backwards".

Hmm, I might try that next time I'm off to some dangerous place.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Crashing backwards is safer. Useful thing to put on a risk assessment - "I must fly CW so I can fly backwards".

Hmm, I might try that next time I'm off to some dangerous place.
You could always fly on one of the RAF troop transports,they all face backwards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.