Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by Champagne please
Help please!

I know which 2 weekends in the summer holidays we want to go on holiday and return. Is there a way to see via dates what destinations have award availability for both weekends?

At the moment AFAIK on Ba.com search availability I have to go in to each destination at a time, choose August, then look at the calendar of availability, then enter the number of passengers. This lengthy tortuous process might drive me to booking a package holiday simply because I can search for our dates, and see where i can go.

All advice gratefully received
Weekends + Summer Holidays + Booking less than 11 months out = Incredibly limited availability (unless you're Gold).

You can use the availability map on BA.com to narrow it down a bit, but it is by no means a perfect tool.

In fact, it's barely a tool at all, but it's better than nothing. Probably.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: DL Plat
I will have an extra weekend during an upcoming business trip to London and I was thinking of using some Avios to visit AMS or somewhere close for a short city break. When I look at the BA website it shows AMS as short-hop flight for 9,000 Roundtrip + $55 but when I search the flights are closer to 9,000 + $148 in taxes and fees. Is this normal? When I click through to the next page it does provide a further breakdown. Appreciate any tips.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
When I look at the BA website it shows AMS as short-hop flight for 9,000 Roundtrip + $55 but when I search the flights are closer to 9,000 + $148 in taxes and fees. Is this normal? When I click through to the next page it does provide a further breakdown.
The first thing that comes to mind is to ask whether you have earned or redeemed at least one Avios from your account during the last year. A possible reason for the difference is that $55 looks like it might be the cash element for a Reward Flight Saver, but that's only available to those with recently active accounts. $148 might be the full amount of taxes, fees and charges for those who don't qualify for Reward Flight Saver (and the figure looks about right for a LGW-AMS-LGW itinerary).
Old Feb 24, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I will have an extra weekend during an upcoming business trip to London and I was thinking of using some Avios to visit AMS or somewhere close for a short city break. When I look at the BA website it shows AMS as short-hop flight for 9,000 Roundtrip + $55 but when I search the flights are closer to 9,000 + $148 in taxes and fees. Is this normal? When I click through to the next page it does provide a further breakdown. Appreciate any tips.
Have you earned at least one avios in the last year?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22138042-post5.html
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:16 pm

I have actually never earned an avios ever - I was hoping to transfer them from Amex.

Guess that might be part of the problem
Old Feb 24, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I have actually never earned an avios ever - I was hoping to transfer them from Amex.

Guess that might be part of the problem
A transfer from Amex should count as an Avios "earned" and qualify you for RFS flights.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:10 pm

Thanks for all of the information - it is really helpful!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver. Tracking for TP run.
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Weekends + Summer Holidays + Booking less than 11 months out = Incredibly limited availability (unless you're Gold).

You can use the availability map on BA.com to narrow it down a bit, but it is by no means a perfect tool.

In fact, it's barely a tool at all, but it's better than nothing. Probably.
Thanks, I have previously bagged some nice flights by searching 355 days ahead. But summer is more difficult for me to be organised so far as it coincides with some variable deadlines at work. Also, I'm open to going on holiday simply where we can use the Avios, we have had some fun -albeit random - trips.

The issue then thank you for confirming - the map tool is pretty useless. The first filter of August in fact shows 150 destinations with availability in economy for one traveller. So in fact you can go somewhere at some point in August on your own. Hurrah! But its only by clicking through on each destination in turn can you choose dates, class of travel and bring the family. So thank you for confirming its the map tool and not my competence that is the rate limiting step.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 2:47 am

Programs: Budding BA Bronze, MPC Gold
There's no way I can use my One World Sapphire to bring up any more availability on ba.com is there?

The seat I'm after at the moment is £400 cheaper on avios.com than ba.com, with the same points outlay.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by yokozuma
There's no way I can use my One World Sapphire to bring up any more availability on ba.com is there?

The seat I'm after at the moment is £400 cheaper on avios.com than ba.com, with the same points outlay.
BA Gold (and higher) status gets additional availability for Avios. Other status does not.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:17 pm

Hi, I am looking to book a 4M flight using BA, AEP-IGR, I can not find it on BA.com. I found availability on LAN website, for 2k-2.2k lanpass kms. Can I call BA to book it? If so, should I try the 2k kms fare or I could also get 2.2k km fares?

Called BA, after 30 mins waiting, I was told that no availability on all the days. Is that because the flight is operated by 4M?

Last edited by quintic; Feb 25, 2014 at 1:06 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
Originally Posted by yokozuma
BA Gold (and higher) status gets additional availability for Avios. Other status does not.
And not forgetting this: only in economy.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Globaliser
And not forgetting this: only in economy.
I thought you could get it in any class if you pay double?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stifle
I thought you could get it in any class if you pay double?
Sorry, you're right. That needs to be booked 30 days in advance.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hasn't made any difference to me yet of course (never been Gold) and anyway I'd forget which one is a wildcard and which one is a joker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.