Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Recent experiences with Sleeper Service flights ex BOS

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

Hi everyone,

Has anyone taken the late BOS-LHR departure recently in Business? I am trying to find out if there is a dinner served in the lounge in Boston and what food is served on board... Ba.com doesn't say and their phone lines are constantly busy (so much for service on a $7000 ticket)

Unfortunately the flight wasn't designated as such on my travel agency's page (grrr, now I know).

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:00 pm

pre flight dining available for flights departing from 1800 from
JFK, EWR, PHL, WAS, YYZ, ORD and BOS
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

I would always do it. Let's you get a better meal, earlier, thus maximising sleep time
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
There will be dinner (probably a buffet, based on experience at YYZ and ORD) in the lounge. You can also opt to have a meal on board which will be somewhat lighter and served on one tray, to minimise disruption.

Again based on experience from ORD and YYZ I have to say that the quality of the lounge food is at least CW standard, usually better. So I would view this as a positive - you can have food in the lounge and will have a bit longer to sleep on this rather short overnight flight.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I flew in CW on an evening flight out of BOS this past summer.

There was a dining section in the lounge with a buffet - 2 or 3 entrees, some hot vegetables, salad, bread, and a selection of desserts. I would agree with TravellingSalesman above that the food was essentially CW quality. Sorry I can't remember enough to be more specific.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've not done it for a few months, but I vaguely recall the lounge was serving a pasta tortellini dish (vegetarian) and beef steak tornedos or something very similar in a rich sauce. There were also slices of chicken and salmon to make up a salad, salad vegetables, overcooked hot vegetables and noodles. Pudding was hot chocolate brownies. Perfectly adequate, and on such a short flight better than eating on board from a sleep point of view. But you also get food on board too, a one tray service two hot and one cold choice, or something near it, smaller portions than on non sleeper services and all served at once.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold!/OWE
Yes there is a dinner buffet - usually a soup, salad, a main and a couple of sides, a cheese board and a not very good dessert. I find the dinner pretty good usually - much better than plane food and depending on the day, something I'd be happy to eat in a reastaurant.

I always skip the dinner on the plane but I think it is an express deal (everything on one plate) to allow people to sleep faster.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Thanks everyone! Amazing resource here!
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
The 214 is a sleeper service; the 202 and the 212 are not.

The pre flight dining buffet is available for all three evening flights. The 3 flight times are quite close together so even short delays can result in the dining room being overcrowded and there may be a wait for a table.

A full meal is served on the 212 and 202, although it is often served in a dark cabin and service is trimmed back somewhat - crew may not offer dessert options and / or coffee.

A meal is served on the 214 sleeper service but it is lighter fare and there are fewer choices.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA lifetime gold, Marriott Rewards platinum
I always go for the lounge option from BOS. The choices are good from the buffet and I prefer the wider choice from the business lounge food options to the menu offering in the F lounge. The business lounge can get busy, so we usually relocate to the more peaceful F lounge after dinner for a quite drink before boarding and trying to sleep all the way on the very short hop back to LHR.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
There are two ground dining options: Pre-Flight Supper for Club World (buffet) and Pre-Flight Dining for First (waiter service).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.