Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

(YQ) Fuel Surcharges > $300 higher for MIA-LHR-MIA vs. LHR-MIA-LHR!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(YQ) Fuel Surcharges > $300 higher for MIA-LHR-MIA vs. LHR-MIA-LHR!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:40 pm
pdb
Original Poster

Thumbs down (YQ) Fuel Surcharges > $300 higher for MIA-LHR-MIA vs. LHR-MIA-LHR!

I can appreciate that YQ charges can be different for MIA-LHR vs. LHR-MIA; however, would someone please explain the following $298.24 discrepancy on 2 recent OnBusiness FC redemptions (both itineraries are for nearly identical dates):

MIA-LHR-MIA $828.00
LHR-MIA-LHR $521.76

(1) All airport/security taxes are identical for both itineraries (as they should be; however,
(2) One-way bookings resulted in a total of $682.88 YQ fees/charges (precisely midway between the YQ fees/charges of the 2 R/T itineraries), as follows:

MIA-LHR $414.00
LHR-MIA $260.88

The only quasi-logical result is that the sum of YQ fees/charges on 2 pairs of O/W tickets exactly equals the sum the 2 R/T tickets. But that still does not explain the logic or justification behind these discrepancies. (Another posting in a tax-related thread suggested that this some sort of "screw the Yanks" effect; but there must be some other method to the madness.)
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:00 pm
pdb
Original Poster

(YQ) Fuel Surcharges > $300 LOWER for LHR-MIA-LHR vs. MIA-LHR-MIA!

Okay, okay, okay. I suppose I could have phrased the title more optimistically (as above); but putting aside my disgust for all exorbitant YQ charges in general, my primary interest is in understanding the logic (other than "whatever the market will bear") behind the discrepancy.

Happy New Year!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: ABBA
I am delighted that Ba have discounted the carrier charge (nothing to do with fuel) fr people originating at a Ba hub ^
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Velocity Gold
You sure one isn't quoted in GBP and the other in USD?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
The obvious answer here is that one way of travel is moving the same way that the globe is spinning and the other is not.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
The obvious answer here is that one way of travel is moving the same way that the globe is spinning and the other is not.
Both combinations have one LHR MIA segment and a MIA LHR segment...
No matter what, they both contain the exact same flights.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
The answer to this is that YQ is different in different markets.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 6:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The only explanation I can offer is the YQ levels were set at a time when the US travel agencies (travelocity, orbitz et al) ranked airfares before adding taxes/fees/surcharges. The effect being Ex-US net fares are kept artificially low and consequently high YQ levels were established to compensate. BA is not alone in assessing different YQ rates dependent on point of sale. AA, DL, UA, and VS do it too.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
The only explanation I can offer is the YQ levels were set at a time when the US travel agencies (travelocity, orbitz et al) ranked airfares before adding taxes/fees/surcharges. The effect being Ex-US net fares are kept artificially low and consequently high YQ levels were established to compensate. BA is not alone in assessing different YQ rates dependent on point of sale. AA, DL, UA, and VS do it too.
It is also in some cases an attempt to undercut TA commission based on base fare only.
(i.e. a $704 total fare was $505 fuel and $199 base fare, of which the latter is commissionable.)
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/LTG, LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
the difference between the two fares is the same between the pound and dollar exchange rate.

could be a gbp vs usd issue
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:59 pm
pdb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
Just to be clear, the point of sale for both of these tickets is USA. The only difference is that one is LHR-MIA-LHR, whereas the other is MIA-LHR-MIA (with a higher YQ charge). Everything else, including airport fees, etc., was identical.

Thanks everyone for trying to make sense out of the senseless.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This isn't an uncommon situation.

Taking LHR-SYD-LHR vs SYD-LHR-SYD

For the former the fines are GBP344, GBP381, GBP494, GBP494 for economy, premium economy, business, first

For the latter, the fines are $763 ( GBP412 at current rates ) regardless of cabin
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This isn't an uncommon situation.
Yes, this is simply because you use more fuel when flying MIA-LHR-MIA versus LHR-MIA-LHR. BA doesn't just make up these numbers!

Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by evacboy
Yes, this is simply because you use more fuel when flying MIA-LHR-MIA versus LHR-MIA-LHR. BA doesn't just make up these numbers!

Indeed... Obviously going from Sydney , the fuel surcharge needs are obviously higher for economy from London whilst for 1st class they are less. Makes perfect sense and definitely not a scam , really
Old Jan 10, 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by pdb
but there must be some other method to the madness...
...err, must there?

Minor point: you missed the quotes round "fuel" surcharge. YQ really has absolutely nothing to do with fuel...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.