Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Weather Cancellation - no refund and no Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:40 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

I was caught up in the Fog at LCY a couple of weeks ago. After BA cancelled my AMS flight I phoned BA to ask for a refund - as mentioned in the letters handed out by the staff.

Just before Christmas BA email to tell me that, after their charges, no refund was due - boldly showing that my ticket was worth £0.00 after the refund.

I thought that perhaps I might be able to get the Avios instead, but this is a no go also. (You can ready the emails if you have interest at the blog )

Is this normal?

In the past I've usually been rebooked as I have had to travel, but this time my return was also cancelled (booked on Avios as part of AMS-LCY-JFK), so I didn't need to go.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by Markie
I was caught up in the Fog at LCY a couple of weeks ago. After BA cancelled my AMS flight I phoned BA to ask for a refund - as mentioned in the letters handed out by the staff.

Just before Christmas BA email to tell me that, after their charges, no refund was due - boldly showing that my ticket was worth £0.00 after the refund.

I thought that perhaps I might be able to get the Avios instead, but this is a no go also. (You can ready the emails if you have interest at the blog )

Is this normal?

In the past I've usually been rebooked as I have had to travel, but this time my return was also cancelled (booked on Avios as part of AMS-LCY-JFK), so I didn't need to go.
....ing joke - Your refund should be worth exactly 100% of the monies paid.

BA can't possibly justify having any 'charges' to deduct from your ticket.

Probably someone has misread your request and thought it was a refund request for a non-flown ticket as opposed to a weather related cancellation.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:47 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
My understanding is if it was an Avios booking that you should get the Avios refunded.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by Markie
I was going to post about this recently, but completely forgot. I've had to cancel a few flights recently, and in all cases I've received exactly the same email from BA. However, 3 or 4 working days later, the refund I was expecting has shown up in my account.

I suspect that this email gets sent when the cancellation gets processed, and that either there's a glitch in the system, or that the service rep is meant to edit the email template before it gets sent but forgets.

The first time I received the email I was fuming, as was expecting a refund of around £7k, and wrote a complaint message via the site. By the time I got a reply, the money had shown up.

So in summary, I think it's safe to ignore the content of the email - the fact that you've received it means that they've got around to processing the refund, and the refund should be showing up for you next week sometime.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would call and ask what happened. You are due a refund because BA cancelled the flight. There should be neither administrative charges for the refund nor taxes or any surcharges for the cancelled flight. You are not due an Avios or compensation because this was a cancellation beyond BA's control. If there had been a delay/cancellation within BA's control, you would be due compensation in cash per EC 261/2004.

It is possible that by calling in about the refund, BA might toss some Avios your way for having loused up the refund issue.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
One option is to dispute the charge with your credit card provider on the grounds that the services purchased were not received.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll get it all back.....a case of if at first you don't succeed try again.

You deserve more back for being given the run around.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
One option is to dispute the charge with your credit card provider on the grounds that the services purchased were not received.
Most CC issuers properly invoke the requirement that you have attempted to resolve the matter with the merchant vendor. Hence the suggestion that OP call BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.