Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow cleared for take-off? Third (and even FOURTH) runway plans

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow cleared for take-off? Third (and even FOURTH) runway plans

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
Northolt and Heathrow are about 8 miles apart. That would have to be quite some taxiway! Even the infamous 18R/36L runway at AMS is only 3-4km taxi from the D gates.
Let them fly between them if they really need to juggle aircraft between the terminals.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
BA threatens to move abroad if Heathrow runway goes ahead

Now this is interesting

http://www.itv.com/news/2015-12-11/b...ay-goes-ahead/

British Airways has threatened to move its operations to Dublin or Madrid if the government decides to go ahead with its Heathrow expansion plan.

The airline's parent company International Airlines Group (IAG) warned the £17.6bn plan to expand Heathrow would lead to an increase in charges for passengers.
Sounds like they are playing hardball now...
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Worcester
Now this is interesting

Indeed, Willie Walsh has been dropping this hint for some time now. I get the sense he is simply fed up with successive UK governments' inability to do anything but dither on this and is looking elsewhere for growing his company.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skye1
Indeed, Willie Walsh has been dropping this hint for some time now. I get the sense he is simply fed up with successive UK governments' inability to do anything but dither on this and is looking elsewhere for growing his company.
Read it again

WW wants more dithering. He doesn't want a new runway at LHR, he doesn't want the cost of the expansion to fall on BA. He likes having an oligopoly at LHR.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by Worcester
Now this is interesting

I don't think the headline covers quite what he said. But he did sound exasperated with the UK government.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by jmcp1575
Unless I've missed something, it's the Conservative Party who have been consistently opposed to the third runway.

Labour legislated for a third runway way back in 2009. The Conservatives ran their 2010 campaign against this policy and hence it didn't happen. Labour policy continues to be in favour of a third runway with the support of all the major unions.

It's Conservative nimbyism which is causing this absurd delay.
David Cameron and the Conservative Government are not coming out of this pusillanimous decision with any credit at all. Forget the environmental issues to be checked (once more), it is purely political and a decision to go for LHR would cause internal splits as bad as anything Jeremy Corbin's party are presently experience. If LGW gets the green light we get two runways only and the problems of London's major airport operations being divided and not too convenient. There are no practical connections between the two possible.
I never thought I would come around to this but the only way out of the impasse is Boris Island or an equivalent and to hell with the cost, as far as the politicians are concerned anyway.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald) & Jet Airways - Thank goodness i never got started.......most awful FF program
Does anyone really think that Heathrow would ever expand?

Governments (be it Conservative or Labour) have short term vision.....5 years and re-election. Even if the Conservatives said yea to the expansion.....what is the guarantee that a Labour government in 2025 (no chance with 2020 with Corbyn) would continue building.

I even believe that UK will waste money on HS2 and we will end up playing ping pong between Yea or Nay.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by d3vski
I even believe that UK will waste money on HS2 ....
Surely the 30 minute saving [or whatever it is] on that rail journey is infinitely more important than having the UK's major airport functioning effectively?

/sarcasm
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Calchas
RAF Northolt has two runways about six miles from LHR (they even have IATA code NHT)

Some people have suggested that RAF Northolt's runways be given over to Heathrow with some sort of a people mover between them. There is probably no feasible way to construct a taxiway between them though so it would not be that sensible, but if you had a dedicated Sky Team or Star terminal up there, then there would not be a huge number of aircraft movements. The RAF could probably be pacified if they were given a shiny new base elsewhere. They could keep a small operation at Northolt for any essential operations they really want to base next to London.

Whether from an air traffic control perspective it could be done is another matter.

But actually from a political perspective, it would surely be the easiest solution. Presumably though someone has said "no that cannot be allowed" for some national security reason.
I'll have to claim "not in my back yard" for that suggestion as I now live 3/4 mile from the airfield.

They have a bit of work to do first too: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...l-aero-418094/

If it were to become part of Heathrow they should have an underground airside link for both passengers and baggage. Current Journey time from Ruislip Gardens (closest tube) is an hour on public transport and involves changing to a bus / 3 tube trains.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
What keeps disappointing me is how political such major infrastructure improvements are in UK. For the better of the country, the government needs to outsource such decisions to independent panels so delays and bickering does not boil down to political point scoring. But when was the last time this government or the previous one did something sensible...
Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by techie
What keeps disappointing me is how political such major infrastructure improvements are in UK. For the better of the country, the government needs to outsource such decisions to independent panels so delays and bickering does not boil down to political point scoring.
That's exactly what the Davies Commission was supposed to be for! So much good that's done...
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Surely the 30 minute saving [or whatever it is] on that rail journey is infinitely more important than having the UK's major airport functioning effectively?

/sarcasm
HS2's primary benefit is to provide relief to over-capacity routes between London and the Midlands/North. The time savings are a secondary benefit to the capacity issue.

Back OT: it doesn't matter if the government tried to 'outsource' the airport capacity decision, it will always come back to the government of the day to make the decision in the end.

The more I think of it, the more I'm wedded to the idea of Gatwick expansion, plus, a southern extension of Crossrail 2 to LGW, to provide a decent, fast connection.

I'm still a bit unsure what BA/IAG support. They don't want LHR expansion nor seemingly support LGW expansion? Anyone would think they want to maintain their monopoly position..
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by visualAd
I'll have to claim "not in my back yard" for that suggestion as I now live 3/4 mile from the airfield.
Pah ... I lived happily for 5 years just 300 yards NE of the end of RW 25 (1 Trenchard Avenue)

Originally Posted by visualAd
They have a bit of work to do first too: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...l-aero-418094/
If it were to become part of Heathrow they should have an underground airside link for both passengers and baggage. Current Journey time from Ruislip Gardens (closest tube) is an hour on public transport and involves changing to a bus / 3 tube trains.
A dedicated fast bus route using the A40/M25 might work, although God knows how that could be done given the traffic flows in that area! Anyway, the existing 07/25 is, IMO a complete non-starter as the report implies ...
Both existing runway ends of the sole usable runway 07/25 are close to major public roads, so there is no opportunity to extend them.
IMO, the only possible option for using NHT is a completely new runway '28/10', flattening a large swathe of housing just east of the airfield, and that isn't going to happen either!!

Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:21 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
That's exactly what the Davies Commission was supposed to be for! So much good that's done...
Somewhat. The comission's decision still came back to government to give thumbs up or down to and that is the problem. It should have been set up so that the last say does not rest with the government but with the commission. The government should not be allowed to block such a decision, but apparently Mr Cameron and Co know better.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by London_traveller
HS2's primary benefit is to provide relief to over-capacity routes between London and the Midlands/North. The time savings are a secondary benefit to the capacity issue.

Back OT: it doesn't matter if the government tried to 'outsource' the airport capacity decision, it will always come back to the government of the day to make the decision in the end.

The more I think of it, the more I'm wedded to the idea of Gatwick expansion, plus, a southern extension of Crossrail 2 to LGW, to provide a decent, fast connection.

I'm still a bit unsure what BA/IAG support. They don't want LHR expansion nor seemingly support LGW expansion? Anyone would think they want to maintain their monopoly position..
Based on the posturing, I would summarize it as they obviously only support expansion if it's in their financial best interests. They'll want at least the same percentage of total slots they have today, otherwise why are they disproportionately funding expansion for their competition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.