Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No BP Check on boarding at LGW/LHR [short haul trial]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum

Not seen this posted before, but on boarding a LGW-JER flight yesterday, I was told that the cabin crew no longer need to see your BP at the door on boarding. Apparently there is a one month trial at LGW.

It was not clear what routes this applies to just JER or DOM or all Euro flights.

As I was seated in row 1, watched what happened and yep the crew didn't look at BPs unless they were thrust in front of them. I was surprised that no survey forms were handed out, but (a) LGW-JER is so short, they probably won't be time to get them back; and (b) I am not sure whether the passenger is supposed to be aware of or even notice this change.

From my perspective, I really can't see there being much to benefit from this. On most flights I take a cursory glance at a BP is not the bottle neck that slows smooth boarding. It is more likely to be people trying to force ridiculously over-sized hand luggage into the overheads and thereby blocking the aisle.

The lack of a BP check will also mean that elites are not greeted by name (something that may matter to DYKWIA types - I find it a nice touch) and the crew will not automatically indicate to passengers who may be unfamiliar with the plane/airline/seat numbering system that "your seat is half way down on the left".

Presumably the gate check will avoid any (or many) "I thought I was going to BCN, but ended up in RAK" incidents. Although surely one extra check can't be a bad thing. I am sure I am not alone in having seen people turned back at the door as they were not supposed to be on that flight.

Anyway, here we go, another (currently being trialed) enhancement

Last edited by Prospero; Jan 8, 2014 at 4:03 pm Reason: Add title suffix
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
started on Monday - applies to domestics at LHR and GLA as well - appears to speed up boarding a bit. Don't see how anyone without a valid boarding card could get through the boarding gate check so should be a real enhancement
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Presumably the gate check will avoid any (or many) "I thought I was going to BCN, but ended up in RAK" incidents. Although surely one extra check can't be a bad thing. I am sure I am not alone in having seen people turned back at the door as they were not supposed to be on that flight.
Originally Posted by malcolmcampbell
Don't see how anyone without a valid boarding card could get through the boarding gate check so should be a real enhancement
Wasn't there a thread about people getting on the wrong flight only a few weeks ago? Seemed a few incidents were the result of the boarding pass check not happening.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:25 pm

all lgw shorthaul flights no boarding card check for the month of nov, it is to see if boarding will speed up
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
This is excellent news. Maybe it will free up flight attendants to finally start offering a proper CE PDB service.

There is nothing less premium than being on a band 1 CE flight where you sit on the aircraft for a solid hour between boarding and being served a drink in the air after they do the food service, (never understand why they serve food before drinks in the air, either.)

I've lately started carrying a bottle of something on all CE flights so I can stay hydrated.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by jmc1K
I've lately started carrying a bottle of something on all CE flights so I can stay hydrated.
Same, but inebriated
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
Originally Posted by lgw29
all lgw shorthaul flights no boarding card check for the month of nov, it is to see if boarding will speed up
I was told it was only domestics?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by malcolmcampbell
I was told it was only domestics?
LGW-JER doesn't count as domestic (hence the CE cabin), so it must apply to Euro routes too.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Not seen this posted before, but on boarding a LGW-JER flight yesterday, I was told that the cabin crew no longer need to see your BP at the door on boarding. Apparently there is a one month trial at LGW.
This is great, I do hope it will be extended! I have always been annoyed to have boarding checked twice between aisle and window seat on BA.

From my perspective, I really can't see there being much to benefit from this. On most flights I take a cursory glance at a BP is not the bottle neck that slows smooth boarding. It is more likely to be people trying to force ridiculously over-sized hand luggage into the overheads and thereby blocking the aisle.
Every little helps.

The lack of a BP check will also mean that elites are not greeted by name (something that may matter to DYKWIA types - I find it a nice touch) ...
I have never been greeted by name, so it must be some urban legend

... and the crew will not automatically indicate to passengers who may be unfamiliar with the plane/airline/seat numbering system that "your seat is half way down on the left".
It did not help people sitting in row 26 checking row number every two steps from the second one, and not every CC says it anyway.

Anyway, here we go, another (currently being trialed) enhancement
I am pretty sure people turned back at the door must have squeezed through gate control. Then it's their problem (well, not really, but I wouldn't have much sympathy).

If LH can be doing it for years, I am pretty sure BA can do it too.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:53 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Wow... Good news...

I always thought this was some sort of British law as BMI and easyJet F/A's were/are also checking BP's.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by haasha
I have never been greeted by name, so it must be some urban legend
Almost always on short-haul, and I am but a silver. Rarely on long-haul.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver; BA Amex PP; Accor Plat
I think it's a good idea. Surely the majority of cases (if there are even enough to be a majority) of boarding the wrong plane would be caught by seat duplications. Most flights I'm on do tend to be pretty full so seat 12C to BCN, and on-the-wrong-plane seat 12C to MAD would soon meet. Even if it was a deliberate attempt to board the wrong plane that somehow got past the gate, you'd still have to pick a seat to pretend to be yours, so chances are high the rightful incumbent would speak up.

Seems a quick win to me.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Yep, I noticed this on Yesterday's LHR - ABZ.

Mind you, I was on a flymaybe flight to JER once when we had pax. who thought they were going to BFS!
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:15 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Yep, I noticed this on Yesterday's LHR - ABZ.

Mind you, I was on a flymaybe flight to JER once when we had pax. who thought they were going to BFS!
I guess this is not going to be implimented at airports where pax still have to walk across the tarmac to their plane? Am thinking of Flymaybe at SOU where sometimes there seems a choice of 3-4 planes you could walk to rather than the right one. I know this is a BA initiative, can't see it happening without a secure airbridge at other airports.

So would this be impimented on flights ex-T3 at LHR I wonder? If you look at the gate 24 departures for say PRG and VIE within 15 minutes of each other, sometimes they board simultaneously. It would not be too difficult (either deliberately or by accident) to get on the wrong bus as they both pull up behind each other at gate 24. Only way you would trap this is at the aircraft door still.

Would be easy for someone doing it deliberately to get on the last (wrong) bus and hang back to be last to board the aircraft and then just pick a spare seat.
Old Nov 9, 2013, 2:36 am

I was surprised that no check was made on board last night at RAK.

Given it's a LGW flight, I wonder if the checks have been dropped at both ends for LGW flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.