Search

TFTG: out of date wine

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
TFTG: out of date wine

In the spirit of PUCCI GALORE's fine "tales from the galley threads" I am relaying a story I heard from a cabin crew, let's call her Amy, a while back.

Amy was serving in economy on a longhaul flight from the middle east. When a passenger asked for wine Amy handed a small bottle just like you normally get in economy and plastic glass over.

Moving onto the next row, Amy heard the passenger say "Excuse me - this wine is out of date! Look, on the bottle is says '2010' but that was three years ago. Please can I have some of this year's wine".

[Names and dates may (or may not, you decide!) have been changed]
Old Oct 20, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
In the spirit of PUCCI GALORE's fine "tales from the galley threads" I am relaying a story I heard from a cabin crew, let's call her Amy, a while back.

Amy was serving in economy on a longhaul flight from the middle east. When a passenger asked for wine Amy handed a small bottle just like you normally get in economy and plastic glass over.

Moving onto the next row, Amy heard the passenger say "Excuse me - this wine is out of date! Look, on the bottle is says '2010' but that was three years ago. Please can I have some of this year's wine".

[Names and dates may (or may not, you decide!) have been changed]
Amazing! They must really think there's a global problem with out of date wine! Life must be a struggle.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
That is funny.

We once went to a Chinese restauraunt where we bought a bottle of wine, drank most of it, and then realised the label had 'not good' written on it. Pleased to report that the free bottle of wine we got was also very tasty
Old Oct 20, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Could have been worse. At least they said 'Excuse me'.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Was it Del Boy from "Only fools and Horses" perhaps?

Series 6, Yuppy Love

Barman: Can I get you anything, Sir?

Del: I'll have a bottle of Beaujolais Nouveau.

Barman: Yes, Sir.

Del: A '79.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:16 pm
uk1
Suspended

But what about that wonderful line in "There's a Girl in My Soup" ....

Girl had made some boeuf bourguignon, and when asked anxiously "what wine did you use ..." answered "don't worry I used a really old one ....."

Old Oct 20, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
I will be opening an 'old wine rescue centre'. Donations gratefully received.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink

Good luck with that!
Old Oct 21, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
That reminds of this article a friend sent me from USA Today:

"Years ago, a group of U.S. tourist bureaus queried its members on the most ridiculous questions they'd received from would-be visitors. I never forgot them because they were just so unbelievably stupid.

Among them: "When do they turn on the Northern Lights?" and "Is there a bridge to Hawaii?"

But perhaps even more dumbfounding than tourists' stupid questions are tourists' stupid complaints. The website News.com.au queried a number of sources, including Thomas Cook Vacations and Novotel hotel group, and came up with some zingers.

Some favorites:

-- "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It took the Americans only three hours to get home. This seems unfair."

-- "There were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."

-- "My fiance and I booked a twin-bedded room but we were placed in a double-bedded room. We now hold you responsible for the fact that I find myself pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."

--- "No one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared."

-- "I was bitten by a mosquito. The brochure did not mention mosquitoes."

-- "They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax."

-- "I'm sure I've stayed in this hotel room in a previous life. I cannot stay here again."

Readers, what's the most clueless thing you've overheard from fellow travelers? Or, if you're willing to confess, that you've said yourself? Tell us in the comments section."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/dispat...aints/2990007/
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL, Hilton Diamond, FB Grey, Amex MR, Trop Plus Gold
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
--- "No one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared."
I thought the original quotation was "startled", as parodied by The Now Show for most of 2011.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
I have few dozen bottles of some old wine that's been laying in a cellar for some time. It can't be more than about 12 degrees Celsius down there, probably hasn't done the wine much good. Been trying to make out the label, looks like a 1961. Drawing of what looks like a salt shaker on it. "La tour" something or the other. Expect it's vinegar by now, happy for you to take it off my hands.

One question, would I have to pay to ship it? If so, I might just pour it down the sink...

Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
I think you have the right line of thought here, the "salt shaker" image is the clue you have failed to understand. Your location of "London" is the key to your innocence in these items of culinary heritage.

The bottles were originally due to have been fitted with a small dispenser, (similar to a Harvey Nics olive oil spout) when ready for use. They are not only just like vinegar now but were probably also just so when bought - your storage regime appears sound but unnecessary for malted vinegar. The '61 was not a particularly good vintage in any event. The salt shaker points towards an important additional device required before use

They would be used with a traditional northern dish called "Fish and Chips". You spread and mix to taste.

P.S. When ordering for al fresco dining in Leeds or Hull please do not ask for a portion of the Guacamole as a side dish. It is actually mushy peas
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by ratechaser
I have few dozen bottles of some old wine that's been laying in a cellar for some time. It can't be more than about 12 degrees Celsius down there, probably hasn't done the wine much good. Been trying to make out the label, looks like a 1961. Drawing of what looks like a salt shaker on it. "La tour" something or the other. Expect it's vinegar by now, happy for you to take it off my hands.

One question, would I have to pay to ship it? If so, I might just pour it down the sink...

Not if it's a plastic sink.

When we were clearing out my grandparent's house we found some fifty year old home made ginger wine. Woweee
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: Mucci des Epices Exotiques, BAEC Gold,EK Gold,SPG,Marriott,Club Carlson
Originally Posted by ratechaser

Thank you ratechaser. As this is a pre-1980 bottle it is classified as hazardous waste and you would normally have to pay for disposal. At To eat.To drink we have developed a novel recovery and recycling technique which means we are able to process this hazardous waste into a lower category of waste (low purity ethyl alcohol). As such, we do not charge for disposal but do ask that you pay shipping to our processing plant. Throughput is limited to 2 bottles per day so the hazardous waste will be stored in our cool room before processing.

Thank you for your interest, etc. etc.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by gustavmahler
-- "I was bitten by a mosquito. The brochure did not mention mosquitoes."
Someone actually posted this complaint on one of the hotel forums about this happening at a hotel in China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.