Community
Wiki Posts
Search

two year old free seat loophole?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by Raffles
This always used to work and was a known 'trick'. I thought BA had changed their ticketing procedures but clearly not!

The airline HAS to give a 2 year old a seat under CAA regulations. Not up for debate, the plane isn't taking off if that kid is not in its own seat.

If BA will ticket it, you are good to go. But you must do the first leg.
You're wrong. One of the Ba safety cockups this month has a >2yo travelling on parents lap.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rents-not.html

Not as serious as leavin the engine cowling open, probably more serious than poor food hygiene.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
There was a thread on here very recently which discussed this. The 2yr old (having turned 2 during the holiday) was offloaded and the parents were not. The airport staff then basically told them "they sit on your lap if you want to fly".

Not sure what the outcome was, but I may go and dig the thread out.

Edit: I see Paulwuk beat me to it!
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by paulwuk
You're wrong. One of the Ba safety cockups this month has a >2yo travelling on parents lap.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...rents-not.html

Not as serious as leavin the engine cowling open, probably more serious than poor food hygiene.
Obviously the laws of physics mean that the plane can physically take off with a 2-year old not in its own seat.

What the CAA would do if it found out is a different matter.

As I posted in that same thread, my 2-year old was offloaded in Dubai at Easter and allocated a 5-star hotel room for the day plus all the food (presumably they would have made him pasta in tomato service and could find a Weetabix somewhere) he wanted plus £200 compensation, with a view to him coming over on his own on the evening flight. And he was on our PNR. Doubt the CAA takes a great view of that either.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
The vs policy is not on the website (as far as I know) do you know if they have such a policy? And is it in print anywhere?
I don't know to be honest. Our friends called VS Flying Club and asked and were told how it would work. We did similarly with BA and the outcome was the same. If you want to do this I would call up and ask...
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Titanium Lifetime/UA/JetBlue
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
I didn't personally do this, but did have a trip to Dubai where LAJr was 2 during the trip. He did get a seat in F on the way back for the infant fare (it had to be booked on a separate PNR), not that he used it much.

I mentioned to the agent I booked it with whether many people had a long break between the domestic and international flight to get a seat both ways - she told me that BA had been cracking down on gaps of anything more than a couple of weeks.

This isn't true in the situation that the OP outlines - if the passenger is an infant at the start they get the infant fare for the whole trip but, once they turn 2, they are allocated a seat.
I stand corrected if this is true. I had a recent experience where a seat had not been booked, but fortunately we had spare seats so there was not a safety implication on the day.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
Has anyone tried this recently? Travel out with an under 2 lap infant and then return with a 2 year old? I called both the UK and the UAE office and they both told me just to book the infant fare, and then about a week before I return I should call BA and they would assign my son a seat. I'm just pretty skeptical about it....considering I want to travel in Club World, as well.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, BA Amex PP
I booked a ticket like this several weeks ago and you have to do it over the phone and it was all done at the same time. In fact you actually end up booking a return for the infant and then they manually assign a seat for the return flight.
I would call back and hope you get a more knowledgable person. This was done on the UK silver line.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by sonoranjerseygirl
Has anyone tried this recently? Travel out with an under 2 lap infant and then return with a 2 year old? I called both the UK and the UAE office and they both told me just to book the infant fare, and then about a week before I return I should call BA and they would assign my son a seat. I'm just pretty skeptical about it....considering I want to travel in Club World, as well.
At times people have been advised to wait until the child turns 2 and then to call. But they should be able to do it now as advised above. See also this thread where Jaxba, a former BAEC call centre employee, advised to call now:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...n-sectors.html
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, BA Amex PP
The booking i made was about 6 months prior to the infant turning 2 as i was also using an AMEX 241 voucher so it can certainly be done well in advance of the second birthday.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 1:10 am

Just about to book the return of a 241 after the little one will have turned 2..... I will still be hoping to change this booking in about a week's time to an off-peak booking (plus or minus changing from J to F)....

with that in mind should I push for the separate PNR for the little one for their seat reservation with this booking I'm about to make.... or will that lead to an extra £35 change fee for changing the booking next week ? Vs only paying the change fee for the 2 adults on the booking and not for the 'infant'... and then get them to issue a separate PNR and seat reservation after changing the booking

(all this is availability dependant of course!)

thanks
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by acbs
The booking i made was about 6 months prior to the infant turning 2 as i was also using an AMEX 241 voucher so it can certainly be done well in advance of the second birthday.
Appreciate this is two years ago - but were you travelling First/Club - did you have check for award availability in the relevant class for the infant (would be child)? on the return flight?
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by jmc85
Appreciate this is two years ago - but were you travelling First/Club - did you have check for award availability in the relevant class for the infant (would be child)? on the return flight?
You wouldnt need avios availability for the reurn for the two year old. They are in affect booked and ticketed as a lap infant. The BA agent will then make a separate pnr using revenue availability to ensure two year old has a seat.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by drmish1
Just about to book the return of a 241 after the little one will have turned 2..... I will still be hoping to change this booking in about a week's time to an off-peak booking (plus or minus changing from J to F)....

with that in mind should I push for the separate PNR for the little one for their seat reservation with this booking I'm about to make.... or will that lead to an extra £35 change fee for changing the booking next week ? Vs only paying the change fee for the 2 adults on the booking and not for the 'infant'... and then get them to issue a separate PNR and seat reservation after changing the booking

(all this is availability dependant of course!)

thanks
The separate pnr for the infant turning two serves no purpose for ticketing its just made to hold off availability and a seat. If you know you are changing no reason to ask for that to be set up yet.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
You wouldnt need avios availability for the reurn for the two year old. They are in affect booked and ticketed as a lap infant. The BA agent will then make a separate pnr using revenue availability to ensure two year old has a seat.
Thanks very much for getting back so quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.