Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to Launch LHR-AUS [Austin, Texas] with 788

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
BA had a Y cabin mock up at Waterside probably 5 years ago now with a proposed comfortable 2-4-2 Lay-out. Then the bean counters got involved.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by bernardd
I'm sitting at gate 4 in AUS waiting for a DL flight and a 747-400 has just pulled in to the arrivals gate. Not BA (it's Atlas Air) but I guess one day.... Actually BA will probably have retired the 744's before the traffic here grows enough for that kind of service.
Sounds like IAH must have been a mess this morning. Just before we left a UA 767 pulled into the gate next to the 744 - you could see the ground staff were nervous but it fitted OK! I think both were diversions as they didn't make any attempt to off load the baggage. It certainly looks like the AUS terminal has been built for widebodies though you don't see a lot of them.

Plus there were a row of UA narrow bodies and a 777 parked in front of the green shed - all should probably have been in IAH.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd
It certainly looks like the AUS terminal has been built for widebodies
I love their optimism

To be fair, now that BA has scheduled a 777, it isn't unbelievable that from time to time it might be swapped for a 744.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
4 class and see what the uptake of F is like, then if it is not selling, change it to a 3 class when an aircraft is available, as I think we only have 12 3 class frames at LHR… Maybe it is more or less, but 12 rings a bell for some reason.
7 3-class frames at LHR ,8 at LGW. Although it looks like they moved MMF to LHR for summer.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
From what I gather the B787 wasn't designed with customers or crew in mind, well the BA ones that is.
I'm told it's a pig to work on and certainly not popular with customers in the WT cabins.
Engineering have no love for the B787.

There are reports that the demand for J class on the AUS route has been strong, and along with cargo capacity hense the upgrade to a 777 for more capacity on both accounts.

BA flew 10,993 PAX in March on the AUS service, which is an average of 177 PAX per flight, 83% average load factor, which they have to be happy with.
Old May 27, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
Engineering have no love for the B787.

There are reports that the demand for J class on the AUS route has been strong, and along with cargo capacity hense the upgrade to a 777 for more capacity on both accounts.

BA flew 10,993 PAX in March on the AUS service, which is an average of 177 PAX per flight, 83% average load factor, which they have to be happy with.
Cargo is definitely big, Texas is the largest exporting state in the USA and Austin is almost dead center of it, particularly with a lot of the high value manufacturing here in Central Texas between Austin and San Antonio (semiconductors, computer tech, etc.).
Old May 27, 2015, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Cargo is definitely big, Texas is the largest exporting state in the USA and Austin is almost dead center of it, particularly with a lot of the high value manufacturing here in Central Texas between Austin and San Antonio (semiconductors, computer tech, etc.).
So it seems! I dig more digging and found this, and it looks like it was a very smart move on BA's part:

http://www.siliconhillsnews.com/2014...-it-to-london/

IAG Cargo VP bloke said “It’s been in the works for about two years,” "Texas has been very kind to IAG Cargo,” he said. “Between Dallas and Houston, for as long as I can remember, we have been 100 percent full every day.’’

"The cargo flights on the Austin to London route were 88 percent full after just three weeks and now operate at 90 percent to 95 percent capacity"

“It’s not all Austin. It’s being fed into by San Antonio and Laredo,” he said. “This route eases the capacity crunch at Houston and Dallas.’’

Austin is shipping high tech products from the “Silicon Hills” as well as aviation and oilfield spare parts and equipment and pharmaceuticals <snip> is serviced by a Boeing 787 Dreamliner that can transport up to 44,000 pounds of cargo per night.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:02 pm

For folks that have taken this flight before (AUS to LHR) and have had a connecting flight to other EU countries, are you able to check your bag all the way through to your final destination?

My entire flight itinerary was purchased on BA.

I just noticed my boarding pass says my connecting flight baggage drop opens two hours before the flight departs. I have a 7+ hour layover in London and was hoping to not have to deal with my checked bag and make a quick trip to Windsor Castle for a few hours.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m3lissa
For folks that have taken this flight before (AUS to LHR) and have had a connecting flight to other EU countries, are you able to check your bag all the way through to your final destination?

My entire flight itinerary was purchased on BA.

I just noticed my boarding pass says my connecting flight baggage drop opens two hours before the flight departs. I have a 7+ hour layover in London and was hoping to not have to deal with my checked bag and make a quick trip to Windsor Castle for a few hours.
Yes your bag will be through-checked to your final destination, unless there is a change of airport in London.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Yes you can, in fact BA prefer this. You should also be able to pick up your onward boarding pass at the same time.
If you are travelling g in Y (coach) be careful about the seat selection on the 787 as there are some poor seats. The last 5 rows have reduced pitch...
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes your bag will be through-checked to your final destination, unless there is a change of airport in London.
Excellent - Thank you! No change of airport in London.

Originally Posted by Skipcool3
Yes you can, in fact BA prefer this. You should also be able to pick up your onward boarding pass at the same time.
If you are travelling g in Y (coach) be careful about the seat selection on the 787 as there are some poor seats. The last 5 rows have reduced pitch...
Perfect, thank you for the tip ^
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:17 pm
Original Member

Not sure if it is buried in this thread but I've just done lhr to aus and unlike other USA airports, when you get off the plane you first collect luggage and then go thru immigration. There is no advantage with being first off the plane unless you are hand bag only.

However priority tags did work and my bag was about 5th off, and before all the Metallica bags who were also on the flight!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
BA spokesperson says AUS will be among the first routes for the 787-9. Which means BA intends to keep F in AUS.
British Airways 787-9
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Austin787
BA spokesperson says AUS will be among the first routes for the 787-9. Which means BA intends to keep F in AUS.
British Airways 787-9
Well, that's interesting. Just as they announced the 777-200 on this route..
Old Jul 13, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
The spokesman said the 789 will fly to AUS and YYZ in a 3 class configuration before F is fitted just before its official launch to DEL in October.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.