Community
Wiki Posts
Search

On board upgrades - does it happen?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

I recall discussions here a while back about selected pax being invited to UuA (or possibly for cash?) while on board.

Did it ever happen? If so, is it still happening?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

You've never been able to upgrade with miles/Avios on board.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Impossible. You can't even do that at the airport.
Upgrades do happen onboard but they're certainly not paid in any way.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by DWFI
I'm sorry, but you're slightly incorrect. The OP is referring to a trial from earlier in the year where a limited number of CSD's and CSM's were given the ability to sell targeted upgrades to certain customers. The trial hasn't been rolled out to everyone else, so am unsure whether it was successful or if its still ongoing.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:08 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DWFI
I think the OP is referring to the trial a few months ago. The CSD would choose people to offer paid for upgrades. The only thing I remember is CIHY saying something like 'over his dead body'.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Good question, ^ it was only using cash and I believe it was only a trial wasn't it? However, I never noticed it being done with any pax (and didn't get approached myself) on flights I was on. Customer feedback to BA was likely that we didn't like or want it! (as it seems with many other BA feedback outcomes Who are these people they are asking?)

CIHY will hopefully come along and let us know as he was involved at the time IIRC (in the trial and offering it onboard his flights).
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:18 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL

And it's only a few years ago that they stopped doing paid onboard upgrades
Old Jul 26, 2013, 1:52 am

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
Originally Posted by BotB
Good question, ^ it was only using cash and I believe it was only a trial wasn't it? However, I never noticed it being done with any pax (and didn't get approached myself) on flights I was on. Customer feedback to BA was likely that we didn't like or want it! (as it seems with many other BA feedback outcomes Who are these people they are asking?)

CIHY will hopefully come along and let us know as he was involved at the time IIRC (in the trial and offering it onboard his flights).
They may have asked the other pax in the premium cabin, who may not have been keen - or those who didn't get upgraded in the lower one
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:03 am

Programs: ECH Gold
It was a trial, with selected passengers highlighted on the IPad. The trial is no longer, and no news on whether it will come back or be available in the future.

Upgrading is now done via mmb, or at the airport desks. Crew are unable to offer any paid upgrades.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think the OP is referring to the trial a few months ago. The CSD would choose people to offer paid for upgrades. The only thing I remember is CIHY saying something like 'over his dead body'.
What I said was “If I am busy then yes I will refuse, if I am not I will do it.”
I was asked to be involved in the trial but refused; I have no idea if it was successful, as I have no friends that took part.
Personally I still don’t think cabin crew should be involved in this as we have enough to do prior to takeoff and for the first couple of hours of a flight.
I do think just like the US carriers do that you should be able to upgrade using cash or miles up until boarding and this is where BA should be focusing.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
What I said was “If I am busy then yes I will refuse, if I am not I will do it.”
I was asked to be involved in the trial but refused; I have no idea if it was successful, as I have no friends that took part.
I can't imagine in this competitive world where if I was asked to do something I would "refuse".

I can't imagine asking colleagues to do something and they would "refuse".

I can't imagine other airline staff being asked to be involved in a trial and they would "refuse".

A potential customer enhancement, potential additional revenue for the airline during the same working time for staff. Surely this would be certainly worthy of a trial? No?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The trail was going to take place with or without me, they approached certain CSDs and asked if we wanted to take part I said that I wasn't interested so they asked someone else.
As I said before if I had the time I would take payment for an upgrade onboard, as a CSD we are allowed to make such decisions but of course I would have to justify any decision not too.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Poxball..... There is a line in the sand for all of us.

What next? Pay for Champagne in Y? (etc) Which all creates extra work, and B.A. have reduced the number of cabin crew on most aircraft....
The thing is this is something that used to happen (upgrading on board) and was withdrawn by B.A.
I have a little sympathy for a passenger that gets onboard in Economy and the reality of sitting there for the next X hours.

But in these days of technology, it should be possible to quickly upgrade at a booth at the airport for cash or miles and the correct catering could then be loaded.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Poxball
I can't imagine in this competitive world where if I was asked to do something I would "refuse".
Surely feedback from the people implementing the trial would be an important part of it's feasibility testing?

CIHY has confirmed that the trial participating was a request and not an instruction, therefore I would hope that his feedback was considered as part of the results.

Are you saying that management should come up with all innovations with no concern with how they will work in practice?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:06 am

Programs: ECH Gold
There is plenty of options to pay for an upgrade prior to boarding. I know that I regularly use the tactical upgrades on mmb. And in the states I have paid for the upgrade at the check in desk when they have offered it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.