Wiki Posts
Search

Partial cancellation of Avios Booking

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Partial cancellation of Avios Booking

We have booked four seats RT on Cathay Pacific on a BA Avios booking. Now my husband has a conflict and may not be able to go or may need to return early. Can we cancel only one of the four bookings or is that a problem? Alternately, can he come home on a different day (may require a class change from business to first to get an award seat -- we do have the miles to upgrade the return). Thank you so much for your help. Never really had this occur before and I can't seem to find the information.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:14 am

Subject to the availability of a seat on the new date (which it sounds like you've already checked) this should be no problem.

You will have to do the cancellation over the 'phone however as it's not something that the website can handle. You will have to cancel his whole RT though. If you have enough Avios to cover it, you may wish to book his alternative itinerary online before you call to cancel his existing one.

If this involves booking him on the same outbound as he's already scheduled to fly, then make the call immediately after booking online, as the system may de-dupe the new booking.
Old May 31, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Call BA and they can split your booking so that your husband is in a different PNR. I have done this multiple times and it is no problem. You can then cancel or change your husband's reservation in any way allowed by the BAEC rules and subject to availability.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
Many thanks for the help!
Old Jul 15, 2013, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
Call BA and they can split your booking so that your husband is in a different PNR. I have done this multiple times and it is no problem. You can then cancel or change your husband's reservation in any way allowed by the BAEC rules and subject to availability.
Will they charge to split the PNR? I have a partner award for 3 that only one of us will use now so need to cancel the other two but avoid the fee's involved for calling it in. I am a gold but the bookings are through my partners normal account.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Will they charge to split the PNR? I have a partner award for 3 that only one of us will use now so need to cancel the other two but avoid the fee's involved for calling it in. I am a gold but the bookings are through my partners normal account.
Bump.... Need to do this today so would appreciate some advice.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:51 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I believe if the account holder is not BA Gold you will need to pay a service charge.

The best advice would be, call BA and ask.

Last edited by nux; Jul 16, 2013 at 5:57 am
Old Jul 16, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Bump.... Need to do this today so would appreciate some advice.
They didn't charge me when I did it. I think these charges are waived for Gold members. Be sure that the bookings are first split so that those still flying are not in danger of losing booked sectors. You can then treat your husbands booking completely separately and change or cancel according to the normal T&C's. Changing and/or up or downgrading the return is something BAEC do every day.

One extra tip: If none left flying in a given PNR are gold or silver members you will lose the ability to preassign seats. If that is the case, do this before calling and having the booking split.

Good luck.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They didn't charge me when I did it. I think these charges are waived for Gold members. Be sure that the bookings are first split so that those still flying are not in danger of losing booked sectors. You can then treat your husbands booking completely separately and change or cancel according to the normal T&C's. Changing and/or up or downgrading the return is something BAEC do every day.

One extra tip: If none left flying in a given PNR are gold or silver members you will lose the ability to preassign seats. If that is the case, do this before calling and having the booking split.

Good luck.
So can I call in to split the PNR for free and then cancel 2 tickets online for £25 each rather then pay any fees?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:09 am

If the Gold member is the one still flying, I think you can remove 2 pax for no charge. Fees and Avios will be refunded along with any free companion ticket, as I think you mentioned one of those was used.

If it's not from a Gold members account, or the Gold member is not the one still flying, I suspect you will be charged GBP25 each for the cancellations.

If you need to call, I would get the whole thing done on the phone rather than cancelling online after the split, unless of course the agent on the phone advises you to do this to save the phone fee.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the Gold member is the one still flying, I think you can remove 2 pax for no charge. Fees and Avios will be refunded along with any free companion ticket, as I think you mentioned one of those was used.

If it's not from a Gold members account, or the Gold member is not the one still flying, I suspect you will be charged GBP25 each for the cancellations.

If you need to call, I would get the whole thing done on the phone rather than cancelling online after the split, unless of course the agent on the phone advises you to do this to save the phone fee.
Ok thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry but just to confirm that I WILL get charged to split the PNR through the EC helpline? No cancellations but just to split from three into 2.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 5:10 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Sorry but just to confirm that I WILL get charged to split the PNR through the EC helpline? No cancellations but just to split from three into 2.
What did the EC line tell you? I thought you needed to have this done yesterday
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nux
What did the EC line tell you? I thought you needed to have this done yesterday
I was charged £40pp cancellation fees as once they split the PNR you are unable to cancel online. Splitting the PNR is free of charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.