Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges [General discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2013, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
In most of BA's lounges across the UK (LHR, LGW, NCL, MAN, EDI, GLA, ABZ but not BHD), a new catering provider was launched in May 2013.

Unfortunately, Flyertalkers have almost entirely disapproved of the new offerings. The relevant thread in question is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ay-2013-a.html

BA's Official Contact (BA Executive Club), Nicci, here provides a response to that criticism, which has generated more discussion about the new lounge catering proposition.

Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges [Focused personal feedback]
BA Lounge Survey
BA Lounge Reviews
Print Wikipost

Your recent feedback on catering in our lounges [General discussion]

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I would hazard a guess that a significant minority of your most frequent travellers would be health conscious and so would try to avoid bread in the middle of the day. .

I'm very health conscious and very fit and into the gym and nutrition etc. There's no need to avoid bread in the middle of the day at all
Old May 22, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by magyaar
The point is that 'appropriate to the time of day' is not the same thing to all people.
Quite apart from it not being the same thing to all people, people have also arrived from different places, or have their clocks offset, etc.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by FrancisA
... and don't forget that this will only apply to the GCs. In the F lounge soup is not put out and so won't be available in the afternoon either ...

Welcome back to the new improved F lounge
As a Gold card holder, I often go first to the Galleries Club to eat, as it is so much easier to do so there, using the hot buffet (including 3pm-6pm), and then head up to the F lounge after eating for more space and quiet.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Thanks to Nicci for the update, but like others have already mentioned the lack of a hot buffet in the afternoon is not acceptable in my view.

Sandwiches, soup or stodgy scones do not constitute a reasonable meal if you are flying out at 5.00 / 5.30 / 6.00 and even starting hot food at 6.00pm is no good for people flying at 6.30pm / 7.00pm who will need to be at the gate. It will create a situation where people will have to think in detail about their flight times in order to get some decent food.

Though it may not be intentional I think that 'we chose to focus on a high quality afternoon tea offering' can be viewed in the same marketing-speak as 'enhanced' - cutting a useful service on cost grounds and making out the customer is benefitting.

I find it sadly highly believable that BA would think that cutting the service like this wouldn't be seen as a retrograde step by their most frequent customers.

Disappointing.
Old May 22, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thank you very much for your most helpful and full response Nicci. It is great to see you are listening and responding. ^

However, and this is not your fault, I don't much like its contents. This is not just an aversion to change on my part, rather an aversion to lower quality and poorer service.

Like pretty much everyone else, I find the decision to remove the buffet during the afternoon astonishingly odd - it can only be a cost cutting measure, surely? To take out hot food at any stage, bearing in mind we are dealing with people crossing time zones, is absurd. By all means do a good afternoon tea, to suit the time of the UK day, but as an alternative.

For me, if I am arriving at LHR at 5 p.m. say to catch an evening flight, I want a hot meal - the same could well apply at 3 or 4 p.m. Others have made the same point, so I won't go on further about this.

I am sorry to see the demise of individual portions of cakes and biscuits, wrapped. Especially the fruitcake...
Old May 22, 2013, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by David-A
Quite apart from it not being the same thing to all people, people have also arrived from different places, or have their clocks offset, etc.
Not to mention an example that happened to me a few months ago. Is shows even when on UK time sometimes people can't eat at 'normal' times.

I was working through my lunchbreak, needed to do that to finish early so I could catch I flight. I was still silver at the time and I depended on being able to get something in the lounge in the afternoon before boarding my flight.

If I wasn't able to get the food in the lounge I would have booked a later flight, but that would have been with a different airline as their schedules worked better for a later departure, but BA got me fed and away earlier than I would have managed otherwise.

I prefer buffets in these circumstances as you know you can just grab and eat, the food in a buffet is never going to be top class, but you know you can get something filling. Without the buffet, I'd either have had to make do with a sandwich from one of the sandwich shops, I wouldn't have had time to order in a restaurant.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by David-A

I often go first to the Galleries Club to eat, as it is so much easier to do so there, using the hot buffet (including 3pm-6pm), and then head up to the F lounge
Shouldn't you be heading down?
Old May 22, 2013, 12:09 pm

Hi there,

I think that firstly we should all agree that the comments here have been reviewed in a constructive way and that things have been taken seriously. I am no great manager but if I recall all the staff were TUPE'd over to the new caterers and whilst this allows in some ways for continuity there are inevitably issues with these things and I suspect some are more easily sorted than others. I guess with a bit of space and time we shall see the full effects of this.

The move to everything being prepared has surely to be something positive overall and I guess it takes a bit of time to work out what will and will not work. Clearly the GF lounge needs work and this has been accepted so we shall again see how that works over the coming weeks.

As much as I know I will be shot down in flames I really don't get the need for buffets all day long. They dry out and look rubbish - they really do nothing for me. Accepted that I tend to use the GF more when I am in CE rather than Long Haul but I am only usually there for a short time and a drink and a quick snack is really often all I want. I cannot really say that I would want to eat much more than a few sarnies until late afternoon and in terms of dinner - I don't really think about it until 8pm or later so I have to say the changes (if the focus is on fresh food) actually might work for me.

I think that one theme that we have commented on is presentation and this does seem to have been taken on board as well so I guess we can see what transpires over the coming weeks.

FD.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I personally would reintroduce a continuous buffet. I find it incredibly helpful before a long haul flight if you're not flying premium cabins and even after a long flight if you have a connection (my case as I live in Milan). Furthermore if you feel always peckish like me it's great to eat something after being stuck in the traffic jam or in a train.

Let me also say the cheesecake is absolutely fantastic!!
Old May 22, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue ivory
Hi Nicci

Many thanks for the feedback. It is good to know that the Galleries First buffet issues and lack of glasses is being addressed.

One question for you, if I may - do you have a timescale for these improvements ? In other words, when can we realistically expect to be at BaxterStorey's peak service level ?
Old May 22, 2013, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by browserden
So following on with the popularity of afternoon tea in Club Europe it has been introduced into the lounge?
Old May 22, 2013, 12:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Nicci, I appreciate very much you choosing to address this issue head on here. While I'm sure "research" shows customers want something appropriate to time of day, given the fact that people are transiting through the terminals from all parts of the globe and from all timezones, it would only seem appropriate that food choices are available to all at all times.

Can you share with us, perhaps, how you gather feedback from those eating in the lounges?
Old May 22, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Shouldn't you be heading down?
Yes!

It's bad enough getting to it in the first place....
Old May 22, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by BizFlyin
Nicci, I appreciate very much you choosing to address this issue head on here. While I'm sure "research" shows customers want something appropriate to time of day, given the fact that people are transiting through the terminals from all parts of the globe and from all timezones, it would only seem appropriate that food choices are available to all at all times.

Can you share with us, perhaps, how you gather feedback from those eating in the lounges?
And when they said "appropriate for the time of day", were they asked: And what is that at hour X?
Hence, it would highlight the very different expectations.
Old May 22, 2013, 12:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I hadn't flown from Heathrow since the changeover but had a mid morning MAN flight yesterday. The South FLounge was very busy and the hot food had pretty much run out. The "scrambled eggs" which I tried were vile.

I was also looking for a diet Coke but none were available and the only Kettle Crisps were Salted.

Not much better at the MAN Lounge either I'm afraid. I for one don't like the new arrangements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.