Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best airports to transfer in US

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:28 am

How about LCY-JFK on BA1, you get the immigration issues sorted in SNN fairly easily, plus F TPs, then connect on to AA JFK-DCA (and try to select a flight that AA has F on for this route).

Return via any of the cities mentioned, in F if you like.

Edited to add pauldb beat me to it.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
I had considered that, and I really want to do Speedbird 1 some day, and it's cheaper in this case. Catch is with a mate coming with me, it would be bad form not to at least be on the same plane, and he's intent on not spending much and flying Y . (And at least he can get some of the benefits of me being able to guest him into CCR/Flounge/Flagship Lounge if we are in the same airport).

Anyone know how to force BA.com to include AA flights?. Or is that a phone up job (using the ITA details to get the right price)
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by LukasVIE
I've read that they are even holding back passengers on planes at LAX, it's really bad right now...
I cleared immigration line at LAX yesterday in under 10 minutes. It was about 9am though, and my flight (ex-SYD) was the only one going through immigration at the time.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
I've never had a problem at LAX immigration. It's not my favorite airport for departing or arriving (which I did many times when I lived in San Diego), but it's an easy US entry and good for transit.

DFW has to be my least favorite airport.

I'm not a big fan of JFK from my days of doing JetBlue's AllYouCanJet, to go between terminals you have to exit and reenter security. JFK immigration was always jammed and getting luggage and stuff felt like you were in a 3rd world airport.

Delta's Cincinnati hub is really nice and I've never had any issues with Denver, though I've never done immigration at either. Atlanta has always had smooth immigration. Stick with the non-MegaCity hubs and life would be much better I imagine. YMMV of course.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:42 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
I think it all depends on what other flights (and from where) arrive at the same time as you. I came in from HKG the other day to ORD, and it was a breeze. Cleared immigration in literally 5 mins, and within 15 mins, my bag was on the carousel. Having said that, I have had things go well and truly pear shaped in ORD before, as well as LAX and SFO.

I flew in MIA prior to Xmas from LHR on BA, and while it was busy as blazes, I found the whole thing quite easy (apart from walking what seemed like the length of the Kokoda trail) from the plane to Immigration. An AA person was there with my AA boarding pass in an orange folder and I was ushered thru the priority lane and that was the end of it. Dont let anyone tell you that MIA is a part of the US. It isnt. Brush up on your spanish
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat.
New immigration hall in Miami

FYI, There is a new Immigration hall in AA's terminal which has improved processing time versus the old experience. Having said that the Obama cuts have resulted in an expectation of reductions in service but that will likely be everywhere. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA GS
Maybe not perfect, but have you considered LGW - MCO - MIA - DCA? First on most (my experience) flights from MCO to MIA (including angled lie flat seats). Immigration in Orlando has historically been very easy for me.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by stewaran
If you need AA for the connecting flights (for TP's) then Miami has good network. However imigration is horrid, worse than IAD in my experience.

MIA and ORD are the only useful airports flying to DCA, and also it could be that not all flights have first
Avoid MIA like the plague.

Just done LHR - MIA - LIM - MIA - LHR and spent a total of 4.5 hours in the arrivals, immigration and baggage process over the two flights.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nickdodger
FYI, There is a new Immigration hall in AA's terminal which has improved processing time versus the old experience. Having said that the Obama cuts have resulted in an expectation of reductions in service but that will likely be everywhere. Hope this helps.
OT (sorry!) but just to be clear - these are Congress' cuts not 'Obama cuts' - big difference.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripy
OT (sorry!) but just to be clear - these are Congress' cuts not 'Obama cuts' - big difference.
To be really clear, The Messiah proposed sequestration, and then, once he got his wish, implemented the resulting cuts to inflict maximum pain and pain publicity. Big difference indeed.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Best airports to transfer in US

Can't believe I'm suggesting this but: JFK Immigration was easy on Monday off BA177.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 12:51 pm
Suspended

SFO. I route via there pretty much every time. Immigration < 10 mins.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nth_utsera_sth_utsera
SFO. I route via there pretty much every time. Immigration < 10 mins.
Bit out the way for DCA though
Old Apr 27, 2013, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SpurMan
Bit out the way for DCA though
Not if you are into maximizing miles.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire mainly
My vote goes out to Boston, it was a breeze last week. You would think that with the increased security after recent events, the airport would slow down to a crawl, but no. It was 15 minutes from plane to the outside door of the terminal. The only downside being that you must change terminals by taking a bus and of course re-clear security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.