Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What to expect of BA if missed connection on 2 separate BA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC

I have a C class revenue ticket from LHR-BKK in May purchased for me by a third party. The flight leaves at 22:05 . I am now planning to make an avios reservation for a a ow GLA-LHR(stopover)-AMS flight and use the GLA-LHR sector to connect with my LHR-BKK flight. Ideally I would like to take the 18:30 departure from GLA which would give me a 2h10min connection time in LHR which would normally be ample. However, in your experience of BA, could I expect them to be sympathetic about reaccommodating me should I miss my connection even though it is two separate tickets but both on BA? Under my circumstances would you folks be more inclined to take the earlier flight 16:20 allowing a 4h15min connection time?

Would it also be possible for me to have BA link these tickets together to facilitate ease on online checkin, baggage handling etc?

Thanks, SF
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:24 am

I believe if you call up they'll be able to link the tickets. The connection time is more than enough so I reckon you'll be ok!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by 0hnoes
I believe if you call up they'll be able to link the tickets. The connection time is more than enough so I reckon you'll be ok!
I don't think "linking the tickets" gives you any actual protection at all. Isn't this just making a manual note in the system under ticket #1 that refers to ticket #2?

I wouldn't risk it. What if the GLA-LHR flight is cancelled?

I'd definitely book the earlier flight...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:33 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
Ideally I would like to take the 18:30 departure from GLA which would give me a 2h10min connection time in LHR which would normally be ample. However, in your experience of BA, could I expect them to be sympathetic about reaccommodating me should I miss my connection even though it is two separate tickets but both on BA?
Bearing in mind there is only one flight a day to BKK, this may present hassle. Do you have BA status? If Silver or above you probably would be rebooked without too much problems, but it's not guaranteed. If it's the airline's fault - invariably the case - they will be sympathetic in my not inconsiderable experience. There again I'd also have good insurance cover too.

If it's important to arrive in BKK on the booked day I'd take the earlier flight.

Linking PNR is largely meretricious.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
I don't think "linking the tickets" gives you any actual protection at all. Isn't this just making a manual note in the system under ticket #1 that refers to ticket #2?

I wouldn't risk it. What if the GLA-LHR flight is cancelled?

I'd definitely book the earlier flight...

I was speaking purely from my own experience, managed to get a rebooking done with minimal fuss but then again maybe I was lucky. I'd take your advice if that is indeed the case.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:36 am
G*G

Minimum connecting time for this connection is 1h30min so in theory you've plenty of time as BA will happily through check any baggage you might have.

Have had 'safe connections' like this booked on separate tix before and whilst it is no obligation for BA to help out with missed connections on separate reservations, they have been good to me in these situations. It is a risk and there is no guarantee - if I were you, I would probably go for an earlier GLA-LHR if at all possible.

As for the 'linking reservations' that people keep talking about - there is no such thing that would make your bookings any more 'linked' than if you did absolutely nothing... BA can add remarks of any connecting flights in separate reservations on an informational basis only - this does IMHO and with experience not make a blind bit of difference operationally and it certainly does not change their contractual obligations to you with regards to responsibility for missed connections etc. Flights booked in separate PNRs will remain separate so any 'linking' will be a false sense of security.

Safe travels to BKK whichever way you choose!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Ah yes there is a T5 to T3 transfer involved here. Now at that time of the eveing the T3 security can be stressful bedlam (not always) but BA are quite used to rebooking people as a result of getting stuck there. They have complained to BAA multiple times about it, but there are a lot of big planes leaving T3 at very similar times (notwithstanding the SYD service moving to T5). So on the one hand it makes the risk of a misconnect greater, on the other hand they are so used to it they would probably rebook without a blink.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC
I could be wrong here but I think only gold card holders can have separate PNR's linked.

BA are under no obligation to rebook you should you miss connect on 2 separate PNR's, but should you miss connect I'm quite sure BA would do there best to re-accommodate you but as I've stated they are not obliged too and the worst case scenario is that BA will make you buy another ticket for the LHR-BKK flight should you miss connect.

Saying all that I've miss connected on a couple of LHR-MAN flights after flying in to LHR on a separate BA flight/PNR, never had any issues with been re-booked, then again LHR-MAN flights are like buses these days.

As CWS has pointed out it's a T5 to T3 transfer so I would take the earlier flight.

A BA to BA connection even on separate PNR's you can have your bags tagged at GLA all the way to BKK, just double check the checkin agent has actually tagged luggage to BKK and not just LHR.

Last edited by lancefan; Apr 12, 2013 at 4:56 am
Old Apr 12, 2013, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
In my experience you cannot really link the bookings but if you have an issue with a booking on a separate ticket which is clearly linked to a different itinerary then I have always found BA to be very flexible in assisting when things do not go to plan due to delays on their part, weather or other tech issues. However you are relaying upon discretionary goodwill here from BA you have no specific right to anything beyond the T&C's of each individual ticket.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:00 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by lancefan
I could be wrong here but I think only gold card holders can have separate PNR's linked.
Anyone can have separate PNR's "linked". But this does not offer any protection, only having them on a single ticket would.

The BA Gold benefit is to have people travelling on the same flight but on different tickets linked, and have them allocated seats next to the BA Gold Card holder.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
However, in your experience of BA, could I expect them to be sympathetic about reaccommodating me should I miss my connection even though it is two separate tickets but both on BA?
Yes, you can.

However, AIUI there may still be an important difference from a true connection on one ticket. While I believe you can expect to be rebooked without much fuss, you may well have to fork out for your own accommodation. If you were doing a true connection, I think that BA would be obliged to pay for the hotel.

Last edited by Globaliser; Apr 12, 2013 at 9:16 am Reason: Spelling mistake - oops!
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL (but soon to lose the GL :-(), IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Dmnd (and pleb/pleb-plus in 1001 others)
I'm not convinced that BA would be as accommodating as has been implied when they see that the incoming flight was actually a "free" domestic connection to an LHR-AMS redemption.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 5:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
For long haul connections from domestic I always leave myself at least one extra connection possibility just in my original flight is delayed or cancelled.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
In my experience (...) I have always found BA to be very flexible in assisting when things do not go to plan due to delays on their part, weather or other tech issues.
I've had the opposite experience.

Arrived at LHR on BA metal and was booked to go over to LGW to catch (BA) flight to MAN (yes, that's a stupid way to book it; no, I didn't choose to do it like that) and with just over 3h between arrival at LHR and depature at LGW i.e. connection was legal but rather borderline (MCT LHR-LGW is exactly 3h I think).

Inbound flight was so late arriving at LHR that we were down to ~2h before my LGW-MAN was due to leave and I was still standing in the baggage hall at LHR waiting for my suitcase..!

I went to the BA desk and had a "frank and fair exchange of views" before they allowed themselves to put me on the next LHR-MAN ... but as if it was a special favour. Presumably if I'd headed over to LGW and missed my flight BA would have had to put me up in a hotel there, it was only when I pointed this out that the rebooking from LHR became suddenly very easy

I think it depends on the agent on the day, really.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by lancefan
BA are under no obligation to rebook you should you miss connect on 2 separate PNR's, but should you miss connect I'm quite sure BA would do there best to re-accommodate you but as I've stated they are not obliged too and the worst case scenario is that BA will make you buy another ticket for the LHR-BKK flight should you miss connect.
I have not seem a report on FT of anyone not being rebooked when they have missed a BA connection on separate tickets, so my conclusion is that it is BA policy to rebook in these circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.