Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Campaign for decent gin!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH M&M Member
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
I stood and watched them pour Tesco own brand gin into an empty Sipsmith bottle.
I didn't realise you know my Mother. sorry, Mother
Old Apr 11, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Platinum, M&M Senator (thanks FB), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
This is really tricky, and my choice of gin will depend from the season, my mood and the occasion. However I still got a list of favourite ones

Sacred
The Botanist
Rangpur
Number 3
Sipsmith
G'Vine

I also think that Tonic tend to spoil the Gin, but may have one from time to time with mainly Rangpur (perfect when spring is coming), G'Vine or Sacred (with a small addition of Sacred distillate, it seriously enhance the taste of it)

I tend to drink my gin meanly with a few drops of Vermouth (either Noilly Prat or Sacred spiced Vermouth)
So If we get a decent gin, can we also please get a decent vermouth ...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
flyerbb ...
that surely makes your choice of tipple a Martini rather than a Gin !?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I agree that the tonic makes a big difference. I tend to keep Fever Tree naturally light in the fridge at home. It would be nice to see BA carry fever tree products instead of Schweppes.

It does annoy me when flying carriers other than BA how impossible it can be to get a slimline tonic. Availability of slimline even on BA shorthaul is no longer the certainty it once was, yet I do periodically forget to pick up an emergency supply when leaving the lounge.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
I am a Gordon's man but I can concur with the verdict on the Blackwood:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...taste-test-gin
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It does annoy me when flying carriers other than BA how impossible it can be to get a slimline tonic. Availability of slimline even on BA shorthaul is no longer the certainty it once was, yet I do periodically forget to pick up an emergency supply when leaving the lounge.
You're fortunate to have gotten it, I've flown LH to the US three times in the last 6 months in CW and they only had slimline once on the six occasions I've asked.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by champagneplease
...... Had a Bombay East recently too, jury is still out on that one.
Had some in January, got a couple of bottles on the way to NBO at T5 (good price iirc), jury is still out....and that's 3 mths ago.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:59 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
I think even the Schweppes full fat tonic water still contains icky artificial sweetener, so I steer clear of it. Fever Tree gets a thumbs up as it doesn't.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: BA, UA
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
.....On the day they were leaving I arrived home early and walked into the kitchen. They hadn't heard me and I stood and watched them pour Tesco own brand gin into an empty Sipsmith bottle.

The look on their face was priceless and they haven't set foot over our threshold since. If only I had presence of mind to whip out my iPhone and post the video on Facebook.

Comedy gold. I wish you'd captured it on video.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: Mucci de Pucci, BA Gold, Delta SkyMiles, CX Gold, AMEX Plat, 25 meter swimming badge
Originally Posted by bookish
You're fortunate to have gotten it, I've flown LH to the US three times in the last 6 months in CW and they only had slimline once on the six occasions I've asked.
You can't always get it in BA Lounges either.

Serious Lounge Defect
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:09 am

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Joely
Well I stand corrected/flamed to death. I quite enjoy a Bombay sapphire but then clearly I don't like Gin....
We're in the same boat Joely. Fancy a G&T? I have some fresh limes and Fever Tree.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Tosh! Utter stuff and nonsense. You're the sort that runs around in Kia and says that Golfs are not for real motorists. I have no doubt that the Tanquerary No 10 bottle is for show and you refill it with cheap Gordons to impress whatever friends you have left. () I love you to bits, Hunter of Swans, but since you were de-Moded you have become Flyertalk's greatest taste free zone.

Whilst price is not always an indicator of quality, I can state that as HIDDY so vulgarly phrases it, plenty has gone down my throat (as if I was a Pelican) and I was a committed Gordons gin girl. Then one day a Man introduced me to Bombay Sapphire and I was ruined. It was my downfall. I thought that it has a beautiful almost sweetness to it. Second place went to Tanqeray and it was a close call. Gordons runs third.

I was thinking of inviting you to Palazzo Pucci for a dinner cooked at my hand - the one sought and kissed by Sultans and which has cleaned many a First Class lav as part of my glamour job.

So you - and your Sapphire Sucks pals can consider yourselves well and truly hairbrushed! Still there is worse American is using Beefeater which is the worst going. That I dare say is more to your taste. I know that it is your frequenting louche clubs and dives that has brought you to this - of how far the weak have fallen. XXX
Might Joely and I be considered as fitting replacements for dinner? I shall bring you a giant bottle of export strength Sapphire and I'm sure we can convince Joely to bring the Fever Tree and the limes.

I always knew you were a woman of impeccable taste.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
Cardinal Gin for me please. Not sure if its available in Europe though
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
73 posts and no-one has pointed out that Plymouth gin is a different drink to London gin, it is not just a different brand.

Most gin is of the London distilled variety (Gordon's, Beefeater etc). Plymouth gin is a different recipe all together and enjoys its own EU Protected Geographical Indications (even though there is now only one Plymouth maker left). Dutch gin (aka Jenvever) is equally different to London gin.

Bombay Sapphire and Hendricks by the way are just marketing creations of major corporations - Bombay Sapphire introduced by Bacardi in 1987 and Hendricks by Grants in 1999. Both are designed by committee/taste survey and marketed in old-fashioned packaging to give an appearance of heritage and prestige, even though they are really modern mass-produced products.

Still, if that's what you like, that's your choice.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:41 am

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Another one for Caorunn or The Botanist.
I always pick a bottle of Caorunn for the other half on my through T5 to save a few quid over the price in Sainsbury's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.