Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA at LHR today - we will read about it in Business Week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Just overheared two people talking in the Fast Track security line at Terminal 5. One of them was a journalist. ("I write for for Business Week. You will read an article about this!" he said)
What happened: he was stopped by security because his huge Tumi carry on did not fit in the sizing rack, but he had been allowed through during three other flights in his trip. He considered the carry-on legal because it fit in the overhead bin. He knew BA has rules, but these do not count. All that matters is if the carry-on will fit in the overhead bin.

Now let's see if he really is a journalist for Business Week and if this article will make it. Who knows, maybe he is one of the 500k FT members
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
So he feels the rules don't apply to him because other airlines have different rules?

There's a word for people like that, and it begins with T
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by darthlemsip
So he feels the rules don't apply to him because other airlines have different rules?

There's a word for people like that, and it begins with T
Tumi owner?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
There are clear rules and dimensions for hand baggage size and if he has been to Tumi, there is a very specific international carry-on sized case, I own one myself. It's BA's fault partially for encouraging such behaviour by not being disciplined enough with this rule but any frequent traveller should have some idea about differences between airlines varying policies (or whims). Let him wail
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:53 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
If its the same bag I have - it may be Tumi who takes the blame for this. I spent ages researching and specifically went and bought the largest possible carry-on bag with dimensions that are approved by all airlines [that I fly].

As it turns out, the wheels stick out by literally 2mm too much so you need to jam it in the BA sizing rack if challenged. The agents always say "if it needs that much force, it doesn't fit" (which incidentally I don't agree with). I have been caught out twice with this - AMS once and T5 South once.

Either Tumi need to sort the sizes out properly, or the measuring devices need to be checked. I haven't bothered measuring the bag yet - maybe I will today!

Anyway 99/100 its fine. On the AMS flight it added 45 minutes to my trip as he forced me to put it in the hold. Really was cheesed off - especially as CE was virtually empty.

I also recall an article somewhere which stated that a person had measured the testing stands and they were not actually the right size, or were bent.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by YClass
I also recall an article somewhere which stated that a person had measured the testing stands and they were not actually the right size, or were bent.
Probably by people doing this ...

As it turns out, the wheels stick out by literally 2mm too much so you need to jam it in the BA sizing rack if challenged.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:33 am
Suspended

Well to be honest, it is true that if it fits in the overhead locker and not taking up like the whole locker where other people can't put their items, then what is the issue. Also if it is accepted before as the person indicated?

I never had the sizer thing at fast track?
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: not a lot
I've got a bag which is also bang on the maximum size permitted. It would fit in the sizer @ the bmi desks at T1 but would not fit in the sizer at the entrance to security, also @ T1.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:37 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Well to be honest, it is true that if it fits in the overhead locker and not taking up like the whole locker where other people can't put their items, then what is the issue. Also if it is accepted before as the person indicated?
If everyone brought in a bag that simply fit in the locker but without taking up the whole locker then how many passenger's hand luggage (on a full flight) would not fit on board.

It's obvious that there should be a maximum size allowed - and even then if everyone decided to bring on a bag of that size then everyone's stuff wouldn't fit in the overheads.

If anything, I think that BA should enforce size limits more rigorously so that everyone's expectations can be set properly.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
I fitted my Tumi regulation size carry-on into the gauge at AMS on Sunday and it was fine (it was also very full). It's this one

http://uk.tumi.com/product/index.jsp...ndSrc=paramNav
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:57 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by correctioncx
The size limit is so that the bags will fit in "wheels first" and not be too wide. It should be enforced. Too often I've seen people trying to bash the locker shut because their bag is too long and doesn't quite fit.

Each locker can obviously fit in a much bigger bag if it is put in so the length of the bag is running front-back. A bag of golf clubs would fit in some lockers.

Last edited by nux; Mar 6, 2013 at 5:12 am
Old Mar 6, 2013, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Back in the U.S., it is totally mystifying to people that the security personnel at checkpoints also sometimes assume responsibility for enforcing carry-on size limits. "Don't they have something more important to do? Do they even work for an airline?"

In fairness, part of this is diversity -- there is more than one carrier past the checkpoint and they all have their own rules. LHR T5 is a little bit special!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:20 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Originally Posted by nux
The size limit is so that the bags will fit in "wheels first" and not be too wide. It should be enforced. Too often I've seen people trying to bash the locker shut because their bag is too long and doesn't quite fit.

Each locker can obviously fit in a much bigger bag if it is put in so the length of the bag is running front-back. A bag of golf clubs would fit in some lockers.
Of course not every overhead bin is a standard size !! What fits in the bin on 777 in F does not necessarily fit in the overhead bin in F on a 747. What fits in the overhead bin in CW downstairs on a 747 will not necessarily fit in the overhead bin upstairs.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:29 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by qwest01
Of course not every overhead bin is a standard size !! What fits in the bin on 777 in F does not necessarily fit in the overhead bin in F on a 747. What fits in the overhead bin in CW downstairs on a 747 will not necessarily fit in the overhead bin upstairs.
Yes, however I think the size limit means conforming bags should fit in all bins wheels first in all cabins (except on the Embraer's)? May be wrong about that however.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:30 am

Programs: BA (Gold). Various other statuses
I may be totally making this up but I seem to remember that, before now, when in row 1 in CE my Tumi case has not quite managed to fit in “wheels first” because that it was where the curve of the body of the aircraft towards the pointy bit starts. So, even a few millimetres can make a difference. I am pretty sure that further back I have had no such problems. Can anyone confirm this. That is, of course, when the lockers above row one have not already been nabbed by someone sitting in row 17 or the cabin crew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.