Wiki Posts
Search

How do Op Ups work behind the scenes?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
How do Op Ups work behind the scenes?

Don't worry this isn't another dumb "can I get a free upgrade to First from WT?" threads.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how op ups work behind the scenes. Is it all automatic and computerised or is there some Machiavellian team of BA peeps behind the scenes deciding everyone's fate?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:45 pm

I prefer not to question the upgrade gods, and just be thankful when they do occur (albeit, very rarely for me).
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:51 pm

The latter.... Mwah ha ha ha!
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:52 pm

How do OP UPs work behind the scenes?

Although, to be truthful increasingly it is becoming more automated...
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA something, LH something, HHonors something, Sixt something
Not knowing, i.e. the surprise factor, is part of the magic That being said, it depends on a myriad of factors, not least of which is the agent at the check-in counter. If you do a bit of searching, you'll see that people of all shapes, sizes, and hygiene, with any card color, on any fare (including redemptions) have gotten upgraded at all points from OLCI to the gate. There appears to be neither rhyme nor reason and I, for one, prefer it that way.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
How do OP UPs work behind the scenes?

There will be some pre-screening eg no special meals, lone traveller etc, which makes upgrading easier, then sorting by status. After that it is probably luck of the draw.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
There will be some pre-screening eg no special meals, lone traveller etc, which makes upgrading easier, then sorting by status. After that it is probably luck of the draw.
I believe the final stage involves a number of old ladies, a large wooden spoon and a cauldron. Hubble, bubble, toil and trouble
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:00 pm

I shall be on my knees praying to the opup gods tonight... booked in WT+ and both WT and WT+ are oversold, whereas CW and F are still being offered.

Of course, I never expect an opup but I think some people will be getting the magic beep tomorrow.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ColdWalker
I believe the final stage involves a number of old ladies, a large wooden spoon and a cauldron. Hubble, bubble, toil and trouble
No, that's how the onboard braised beef is prepared.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The last time I got an op-up (in 2011), it went against all the usual logic. We were a couple, flying a route I'd suspect had plenty of status flyers (LHR-SIN) when we were lowly blues. We were upgraded from WT to WT+

However, it wasn't totally random. We'd had a connecting flight EDI-LHR and as it was quiet at bag drop we were chatting to the BA staff member. We asked if the flights were busy - she checked them both and said the LHR-SIN flight was very overbooked. She then said that she would put us down as "SFU" on the computer system. SFU has always meant something less than polite to me, but she assured as that in BA-speak it meant "suitable for upgrade"

When we got to the gate for the SIN, sure enough we got the upgrade, and were massively grateful to the lovely EDI staff member.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA gold, *A gold, SPG silver, HHonors gold
I think this post in the sticky gives the relevant background, as far as anyone can confidently opine:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ml#post6702556
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
I've had many done between OLCI and actually getting to the airport. Since I don't issue the boarding pass I can revisit OLCI and see the cabin change (normally from WTP to CW). And all this is without even visiting the airport yet.

Happily BA still use the system that sorts passengers based on status. LH changed a while ago to sort based on booking class, so HON card holders on a cheap fare are passed over for higher fare FTL pax.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: QFF P1 LTG, lots of others
No, that's how the onboard braised beef is prepared.
You forgot to mention the secret equine ingredient.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At LHR the close out team manage it. If you have notes on your booking at check in they will call them to confirm action, otherwise it is done using the various criteria of CIV, service recovery etc. You can even wave at them from the right bit of T5.

Outstation upgrades are generally authorised by the station manager.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
I believe they consult the IChing and then use a random number generator to confirm their decisions....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.