Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

So is US Airways coming across with OneWorld?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat

Given the US Airways / AA merger?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories

Going to be more passengers chasing fewer seats?

Last edited by KenJohn; Feb 13, 2013 at 5:51 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:37 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Or more passengers chasing more seats? It's at least one more route across the atlantic (LHR-PHL on US), and US Envoy class is not too bad, I hear.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:45 pm

A very apt thread for me, having just completed my last BD DC redemption on US TATL in J (MAN-PHL-PUJ-PHL-MAN), arrived back in MAN this morning.

I read the USA Today last night and it was very confident of the merger going ahead, according to some 'industry insiders', as were the FAs when I was speaking to them about it - some of them were very optimistic of it.

Having said that, and dragging the thread slightly off-topic, I must say that I was must first time in US TATL J (have been on US several times in Y domestically before) but I was mightily impressed with the product when comparing it with CW. (Obviously this will not go down well on this board )

The ground staff at PHL (vs BA's staff at LHR) were streets ahead, and the US catering was in a different league to CW - makes BA look like a third world carrier in my opinion. The seat on US was favourable also when comparing it to CW. I was on a A330-200, with only 20 business seats (and about 80% full cabin). The only area BA wins, in my opinion, is the quality of the lounge offerings at home base.

Some of the hardcore BA apologists on this board should try US on their next TATL, and see that not all North American carriers are that bad (ok, AA and DL are pretty rotten).

Anyway, in terms of this topic, if the merger went ahead and I would actively try to burn some Avios on a US J TATL service vs the CW offering.

Of course, all of the above is totally my own opinion and I will no doubt get told that I am incorrect

Edit: Oh, and US certainly know how to do priority baggage. My bag was out third on the carousel on arrival at PHL, and out first at MAN ^. BA don't have a clue in this department.

Last edited by rossmacd; Feb 13, 2013 at 5:53 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Anyway, in terms of this topic, if the merger went ahead and I would actively try to burn some Avios on a US J TATL service vs the CW offering.
Just make sure it's not in a 757/767..don't let the A330's fool you with their fancy seating

Food wise, in Envoy..I'd agree. They served me a delicious steak..one of the best I've had in the air and better than many on the ground. I ended up ordering steak on the return flight expecting to be disappointed...I wasn't.

+1 on the baggage front!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Not of any interest to 99% of the posters here but it would make another nice OW option to MAN.

But then again all those DM miles that were sold for next to nothing skewed *A availability for awhile.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
I agree about the US J seat, it really is superb. I would be very happy if they join OW.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I don't see this deal getting regulatory approval unless the new consolidated carrier is a member of OW.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I don't see this deal getting regulatory approval unless the new consolidated carrier is a member of OW.
It will get cleared by regulators in the US with relative ease even compared to other US airline mergers, including for reasons related to the combo being part of Oneworld.

The combined AA-US will be part of Oneworld.

The US short-haul network will make for some better BA point redemption values, which is just about the only reason I don't mind this combination. Otherwise I have just about nothing to gain from this combination, although maybe I will end up closer to another million mile threshold with the AA frequent flyer program which is to be the headline program for the combined carriers.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe that unfortunately the AA/US merged entity intends to become AA and stay in OneWorld
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I believe that unfortunately the AA/US merged entity intends to become AA and stay in OneWorld
Why unfortunately?

(At least with our BAEC hats on) we need airlines in OW. If the merged entity went to *A then BA would lose all its AA connections in the US...

...and OW might have to rename themselves HalfWorld
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
Why unfortunately?

(At least with our BAEC hats on) we need airlines in OW. If the merged entity went to *A then BA would lose all its AA connections in the US...
I would prefer that I could use my AA miles on Star Alliance rather than One World. I find it a lot easier to get awards on Star than on OneWorld
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The merged airline will become the biggest operator in the US, so that's a feather in the OneWorld cap.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:19 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
bang goes my only hope of retaining any status on *A. i have managed Silver for the last couple of years which at least gives me a free checked bag and the odd upgrade in the US.
I am one among few of my colleagues that thinks US domestic service is not too bad.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:39 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by rossmacd

The ground staff at PHL (vs BA's staff at LHR) were streets ahead, and the US catering was in a different league to CW - makes BA look like a third world carrier in my opinion. The seat on US was favourable also when comparing it to CW. I was on a A330-200, with only 20 business seats (and about 80% full cabin). The only area BA wins, in my opinion, is the quality of the lounge offerings at home base.

Some of the hardcore BA apologists on this board should try US on their next TATL, and see that not all North American carriers are that bad (ok, AA and DL are pretty rotten).
Been there, done that

not sure I would call it a different league but it certainly opens up OW options for PHL which is my first choice TATL destination.
its a bit like flying VS, you know what goes on but the routine is just not familiar,
Domestic flights in F are indistinguishable from AA F really but get on an old 757 in Y and you are praying for a safe landing
For me its a good thing unless they drop PHL as a hub I have found it much easier to use than NYC (except for run ins with the TSA)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold,
How Fast?

So, anyone out there able to speculate on how fast things will happen here. Specifically, I am booked on a US cross country flight on US Airways in July. Best route for the family, but wasn't thrilled about US Airways and flying in coach. No early seat assignments, pay for checked baggage, etc. The question is will some of this happen soon enough that I will get some of my BAEC gold benefits on the flight, specifically seat selection and free checked baggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.