Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Theft from Lounges

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Question Theft from Lounges

I know we've had a "pilfering from lounges" thread in the past, but I'm curious as to the boards opinion of what counts as outright theft?

Legally, there are five points to prove:
A person dishonestly,
Misappropriates,
Property,
Belonging to another,
With the intention of permanently depriving them of it.

For example, a friend of mine was in the Flounge recently and saw a traveller put about 20 bags of crisps into their laptop bag and their travelling companion put three bottles of highland spring into theirs.

Now to me, that's crossed the line as it ticks all five boxes above. Let the debate commence.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: BA, SQ, VS, Lifetime Diamond Club Appreciator, Mucci
Phew!

Thought this would be a thread about stolen laptops, iPods etc.

It's always worth remembering that it's only dangerous items that don't get airside. Dishonest people and thieves still get through. Look after your belongings!

I couldn't care less how many packs of crisps people pinch from the lounges. For the fares being charged to get into them (or money spent becoming a status customer), a few quid's worth of food/drink isn't really a big concern to me.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
A person dishonestly
- How were they dishonest? Did they distract someone when taking them?
- Did they say they were taking 2 but actually took 5?

How were they misappropriated?
- Were they not just left on the counter for people to help themselves?

With the intention of permanently depriving from them
- They put the crisps and drink in their bag, but did they leave the lounge?
- How do you know they weren't just reserving them for a friend who was held up at security or in a queue at WDF?

Based on your evidence above, I'd say you have a loose 2 at the most/
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
I don't mind people taking food and/or drink from the lounges. There's no difference between that and someone arriving in the lounge hours before a flight and consuming the same amount whilst in the lounge.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
A person dishonestly
- How were they dishonest? Did they distract someone when taking them?
- Did they say they were taking 2 but actually took 5?

How were they misappropriated?
- Were they not just left on the counter for people to help themselves?

With the intention of permanently depriving from them
- They put the crisps and drink in their bag, but did they leave the lounge?
- How do you know they weren't just reserving them for a friend who was held up at security or in a queue at WDF?

Based on your evidence above, I'd say you have a loose 2 at the most/
In terms of dishonesty, you'd need to ask as to their intentions, but my friend described them as looking around to make sure no-one was watching. If their intentions were honest, they could have openly carried them out.

In terms of misappropriated, that's easy, all the lounges have signs up saying food and beverages are for consumption only in the lounge.

That covers the last one too, as soon as they leave the lounge, they are depriving BA (and therefor customers) of them.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
In terms of dishonesty, you'd need to ask as to their intentions, but my friend described them as looking around to make sure no-one was watching. If their intentions were honest, they could have openly carried them out.

In terms of misappropriated, that's easy, all the lounges have signs up saying food and beverages are for consumption only in the lounge.

That covers the last one too, as soon as they leave the lounge, they are depriving BA (and therefor customers) of them.
Consumtion in the lounge, yes, but doesn't say who has to consume them. Like I said, they could be looking after them for someone else.
It's down to you to prove otherwise.

Looks like dishonesty box is ticked though - still, only 3 out of 5

(This could turn into a very interesting thread - I'm looking forward to pressing F5 regularly)
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond + Ambassador, Accor Gold, Avis President's Club, Heathrow Rewards
Without going into the legalities of this all, it's another one of those issues that demonstrate many people have no integrity nor indeed self respect.

When I use the lounge and its food and drink offering, I do so on the basis of reasonable use in a common sense. It's not reasonable to stock up for use elsewhere or to clean out the place and I suspect that you don't need to make a legal case for the people doing it to know they are in fact wrong.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
It generally reflects badly on people, the grab all you can coz its free either in a lounge or a hotel buffet is just uncool and greedy. Saw it once in a bmi lounge when a whole family came in and it was like they were looting a supermarket

Last edited by allturnleft; Feb 10, 2013 at 11:25 am
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), *A Gold - TAP, SkyTeam E+, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Diamond, Sixt PL, GE/TSA Pre
This is nothing - i once heard someone say as they walked through the flounge... "ok dave... let me just do my mag shopping in here and anything they ain't got i'll go pick up at WHSmith"

I have to say - i was shocked that he said it out loud. The gentleman sitting next to me muttered under his breath "bl**dy mileage pax getting their money's worth"

Shocking!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:45 am
formerly rxfleming

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
I was toying with the idea of filling up my hip flask with some Johnnie Blue the other week...

... But didn't.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:46 am

Of course, it's perfectly OK to pitch up at the lounge complex, be guested in the CCR hours before your flight, and once inside try to drink as much LPGS as you can before you stagger off to your gate...

Stealing crisps is just not OK ...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
A person dishonestly
It all comes down to what it means to be dishonest - a person blazenly putting things in their bag is not dishonest; hiding in a corner whilst doing it or concealing the process might be

If a passenger is asked by BA not to take things out and then puts them back then there is no issue. The same passenger taking things out once they have been asked not to is acting dishonestly. This applies on subsequent visits to the lounge too!

Conclusion: not proven and difficult to prove

Misappropriates
The quantity could be relevant here - taking one or even two bottles of Highland Spring for the plane is probably reasonable whilst 20 packets of crisps in a bag is probably not

I consider the point about BA posting signs that say food is to be consumed in the lounge is irrelevant since a reasonable person would probably say that it is OK to eat on the plane instead

Conclusion: not proven and may be difficult to prove

Property
The F&B is undoubtedly BA's property - buying a CW or F ticket or holding status does not give a passenger rights and title to it

Conclusion: proven

Belonging to another
The F&B is undoubtedly BA's property - buying a CW or F ticket or holding status does not give a passenger rights and title to it

With the intention of permanently depriving them of it.
Once the F&B is taken away it probably cannot be re-offered due to health rules

Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:53 am

You're being very generous with the last one I think - especially with sealed items.
A doughnut perhaps, but not a bottle of water.

But either way, you've come to same 3/5 as me so I'm happy, lol
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
The F&B is undoubtedly BA's property - buying a CW or F ticket or holding status does not give a passenger rights and title to it...
So the F&B in the lounge belongs to BA ... even after I've consumed it in the lounge?

What if they want it back?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:55 am

Ask them to give you a bucket, some salty water, and to stand well back....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.