Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Charged a foreign transaction fee on ba.com purchase from US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I don't ever recall being charged a foreign transaction fee in prior years when I would purchase flights from ba.com (the US site) when the fare was denominated in USD. I previously would have used a credit card from Chase, however when I just booked my most recent flight using a US Bank credit card, I was charged a 2% foreign transaction fee. Upon emailing the bank's customer service I received the following response:

If your foreign transaction is processed by Visa® and is in or converted to U.S. Dollars prior to being processed by Visa, we will add a Foreign Transaction Fee of 2% times the U.S. Dollar amount.

While this charge was completed in U.S. Dollars, the charge was still completed overseas. It was for this reason that a foreign transaction fee was assessed.
Is this new that BA flights are processed that way? It had always seemed to me that they had a US based legal entity that actually processed the charges. Either that or Chase doesn't charge that foreign transaction fee (only the 3% one for true purchases abroad which US Bank also charges).
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
They charge based on the currency of the origin country in your itinerary....
I think its mentioned somewhere on BA website while booking...
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Was it for a flight originating in the US?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You will find that the terms and conditions of your card agreement state that transactions completed with a foreign merchant carry a fee, even if in your own currency.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Yup it was JFK-LHR. I'm pretty positive that it's simply something US Bank charges because perhaps BA sets the fare in GBP but its converted by them to USD. Chase and many other banks do not charge to my understanding.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
That's quite odd. BA does use a US-based processing company to process itineraries departing the US... or used to at least. (For non-US departing itineraries, they can process in USD, but they may use the foreign ticketing office)

Regardless, the practice of charging a fee for foreign originating USD transactions is quite annoying to say the least. Citi does this as well. For what it's worth, Amex charges an FX fee on various cards, but not on USD transactions in foreign countries (as verified by my use of my SPG Amex in Aruba recently).

In any case, I use the Chase card for all BA purchases. It has no fees, and I earned 2.5 points per dollar spent.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:41 pm

We not only get hit with a foreign transaction fee as BA charge in US$ here but we also get hit with the 15% Kirchner tax on all foreign transactions.

At least BA don't charge us a credit card fee.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See these discussions:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ction-fee.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ction-fee.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...transaction+us
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I have booked a number of BA tickets in USD, SGD, EUR, CHF and GBP. Whenever I paid with a "local" card (from the perspective of the transaction) it was free of commission, whenever I paid on a "foreign" card the commission was applied.

It may be your card issuer is playing a bit of a strange game with you, in which case it would be good for BA to find out about this.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by sschwenk

It may be your card issuer is playing a bit of a strange game with you, in which case it would be good for BA to find out about this.
No "game" . Some card companies charge the foreign fee for any transaction processed in another country even if the transaction is billed in local currency

So, in this siituation, a USD credit card processed in UK in USD will still be charged the X% foreign transaction fee

It will be in the T&Cs of the card

I doubt BA would care at all about it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
... I doubt BA would care at all about it.
Very true, it is a charge made by the credit card company and not BA. I've fallen foul of this (not with BA) when using a US$ card. They have now been dumped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.