Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using a 2-4-1 when the return leg isnt available yet..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue

Really quick question and i think i know the answer that i can...

I want lhr-lax the flight we want is now available

Return we want is vegas-lhr

Can i book the 241 as a one way to lax now online then ring up and change it to 'open jaw' return in 3 weeks when the vegas flight is available?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I don't believe so. You can change the return date so if there is a return flight available now on the wrong date you can book that. You will pay for each change though.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Really? I'm not sure about open jaw but I was told that it is possible to book a single 2-4-1 and then change it to a return and pay the extra avios. This is more or less the only way to get flights to the popular destinations with poor availability (SYD, JNB ETC)
Old Sep 9, 2012, 2:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
I hesitate to contradict Henkybaby but I believe you can book a single then add the return segment later. The fact of it being open jaw is immaterial. I think it's a recognised tactic for securing outbound seats before the returns have opened up. There is normally a booking amendment fee. Maybe ring exec club to see if they can confirm it's allowable? (But call them twice to check the answers tally).

Having said that, Henybaby's suggestion (book any available return date as a temporary placeholder) clearly would work.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by fripperies
I hesitate to contradict Henkybaby but I believe you can book a single then add the return segment later.
Oh, please don't hesitate. I have no experience with 241s since unfortunately you don't get them in FR or NL. I assumed (possible in error) that you needed to book it as a complete return and merely suggested a workaround. If it is not needed, all the better.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 3:56 am

I've seen this queried and answered in the affirmative on past threads but what I've never seen answered (though asked on a few occasions) is how this process would comply with the return on a 241 having to be within 1 yr of ticket issue. Assuming one books first sector as soon as available at 355 days out and ticketing is then pretty much immediate, the rule implies that maximum stay at destination would be only 10 days. Is this a correct interpretation or have others found flexibility when adding a later return?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:03 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
OP does need to be wary of the 365 day rule; ie. the 3 week gap may well cause an issue on that point.
A suggested work-around is, as OP notes, to call BA and secure the o/b; with a view to re-ticketing with the i/b.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:04 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
See this thread. pboae was able to get the original ticket reissued.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue
Should have said its from the better ba card with the 2 year validity on the 241 sorry!
Old Sep 9, 2012, 5:29 am

Adding an inbound sector to an already booked outbound amex booking is not considered a re route and is permitted. You will be required to pay relevant additional taxes etc and reissue fee and of course appropriate number or avios.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Bullswood
I've seen this queried and answered in the affirmative on past threads but what I've never seen answered (though asked on a few occasions) is how this process would comply with the return on a 241 having to be within 1 yr of ticket issue. Assuming one books first sector as soon as available at 355 days out and ticketing is then pretty much immediate, the rule implies that maximum stay at destination would be only 10 days. Is this a correct interpretation or have others found flexibility when adding a later return?
Having just been through the process, it worked like this:-
  1. [*]
  2. [*]
  3. [*]
When I phoned, I got through to a very harrassed and stressed-sounding agent. But she understood exactly and immediately what I wanted to do, and did it very efficiently. Including time to work through the phone menu and a little bit of time queueing, total call duration 6 minutes 40 seconds. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.