Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the WORST lounge you've been in - and why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the WORST lounge you've been in - and why?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by headingwest
Although I can't say that it was the worst lounge, the staff certainly made me feel unwelcome at the Pliska lounge in Sofia. BA's MMB displayed the lounge in Sofia as the Balkan lounge, but nobody know where it was (not even the staff!).
Right, a bit slow off the mark here, but I have now been able to check this out. Unbeknownst to me, BA benefits from TWO lounges in Sofia, Pliska (Плиска) and Preslav (Преслав). Pliska is on the same level as boarding and is the inferior of the two. Preslav is near the exit passport control, down one level, but actually nearer to the BA gates. It has a better set-up, food and drink, more space too, however it also has a room for smokers and they haven't separated out the ventilation between that room and the main lounge - a common issue in Bulgaria, though they have generally moved to a "smoking outdoors" model. I think you get a better reception if you present an invitation card from check in.

I think (but I'm not entirely sure) that the Balkans lounge is the one in Terminal 1, now operated by Swissport. I will put something in the BA lounge thread to clarify.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA benefits from TWO lounges in Sofia, Pliska (Плиска) and Preslav (Преслав). Pliska is on the same level as boarding and is the inferior of the two. Preslav is near the exit passport control, down one level, but actually nearer to the BA gates. It has a better set-up, food and drink, more space too, however it also has a room for smokers and they haven't separated out the ventilation between that room and the main lounge - a common issue in Bulgaria, though they have generally moved to a "smoking outdoors" model. I think you get a better reception if you present an invitation card from check in.

I think (but I'm not entirely sure) that the Balkans lounge is the one in Terminal 1, now operated by Swissport. I will put something in the BA lounge thread to clarify.
The Pliska lounge was quite pleasant, but the food offering was rather poor. Nobody there knew where the Balkans lounge was...so you did well to suss that one out.

I actually checked in using the self-check in, so you're probably right, they wouldn't have been so confused perhaps.

Last edited by headingwest; Sep 23, 2014 at 10:48 am Reason: added
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unbeknownst to me, BA benefits from TWO lounges in Sofia, Pliska (Плиска) and Preslav (Преслав).
Why is this? BA paid for two or one is a oneworld lounge??
Old Sep 23, 2014, 4:33 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Calchas
Why is this? BA paid for two or one is a oneworld lounge??
I think it has the same third party management running both lounges, so it doesn't bother them which one BA passengers end up using.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 2:56 pm

Genoa.... well I didn't actually go in it looked so awful and I didn't want BA to be charged for me entering a cupboard that I wouldn't have stayed in. Verona I went into and it was grim.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The Garuda Lounge at Bali's new airport terminal is totally surreal.

But because there's virtually nowhere to sit in the departure area once you've cleared security it's actually a great relief to get in the lounge. At least there's somewhere to sit down!

(You don't need a biz class ticket - a discreet and moderate fee will get you in there - nudge nudge, wink wink).
Old Sep 28, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Carlson Gold Elite, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold
Kinshasa, DR Congo in 2009. It looked like a random jumble sale of leather couches from the 70's, and it was about 40 centigrade in there. The only offering was lukewarm Skol which needed to be paid for. Thank you Brussels Airlines, you could have given us a voucher!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 4:30 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Airlineanorak
OK,

I know this is controversial, but can I say ‘All AA Lounges’?
I couldn't agree more! Even their FL lounge at LAX isn't all that great. I would go out on a limb and say the CX long at BKK is better than the FL lounge.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Right, a bit slow off the mark here, but I have now been able to check this out. Unbeknownst to me, BA benefits from TWO lounges in Sofia, Pliska (Плиска) and Preslav (Преслав). Pliska is on the same level as boarding and is the inferior of the two. Preslav is near the exit passport control, down one level, but actually nearer to the BA gates. It has a better set-up, food and drink, more space too, however it also has a room for smokers and they haven't separated out the ventilation between that room and the main lounge - a common issue in Bulgaria, though they have generally moved to a "smoking outdoors" model. I think you get a better reception if you present an invitation card from check in.

I count 3! After security you can turn left or right and walk to either end of the terminal...both appear to be quite similar. I've used the one to the right ('Pliska', lounge 2 according to the signs offhand). The one to the left looked similar at a glance - the same sign outside at least - on my next trip I'll try accessing it.

Downstairs is the "smoking lounge" according to the signs. I've not looked at it.

Smoking in enclosed public spaces has been banned since 2012, but you'd never believe me....
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:08 pm

Programs: Mucci; BA, LT GGL; QF, platinum; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gemini573
I couldn't agree more! Even their FL lounge at LAX isn't all that great. I would go out on a limb and say the CX long at BKK is better than the FL lounge.
The CX lounge is bigger but somehow I still prefer the BA Flounge, although it does get rather full these days.

For close friendship forming contacts, try ABV!
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Beansprout
I count 3! After security you can turn left or right and walk to either end of the terminal...both appear to be quite similar. I've used the one to the right ('Pliska', lounge 2 according to the signs offhand). The one to the left looked similar at a glance - the same sign outside at least - on my next trip I'll try accessing it.

Downstairs is the "smoking lounge" according to the signs. I've not looked at it.

Smoking in enclosed public spaces has been banned since 2012, but you'd never believe me....
Yes, Pliska is upstairs and right lounge 2, Preslav is downstairs (and has a separate smoking saloon), and so by the sounds of it a mystery lounge upstairs and left (lounge 1?). I thought Preslav was lounge 1 but I didn't investigate further. Further information on the SOF lounge glut would be warmly appreciated, however I doubt there's much cause for a lounge run there.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by martyndavid
Almaty is the worst for me too. Used my voucher for a stale sandwich and water (no refills). It's dark, there are not enough seats, and there was a raunchy 1970s Russian movie playing on the TV at 10.00 in the morning. Altogether a very strange start to the flight back to LHR.
Photos and further information now in:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-caucasus.html
Old Sep 29, 2014, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by SukiB
Kinshasa, DR Congo in 2009. It looked like a random jumble sale of leather couches from the 70's, and it was about 40 centigrade in there. The only offering was lukewarm Skol which needed to be paid for. Thank you Brussels Airlines, you could have given us a voucher!
The decor sounds like a lounge I visited in Ho Chi Minh once (no idea what it was called) although this one had free food and drink including noodles which were nice.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Do yourself a service in Paris

On this one no BA lounge can hold a candle to Air France. Sadly in Paris Qatar has to use the KLM Air France Premiere lounge, so forget in flight dining because here there is no end of choice of... pot noodles! Or of course the cold buffet of curled sandwiches. From the bar, gin but no tonic or 5 euro wine. And the service... well here remember that in French 'service' means a favour.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
A few weeks ago I read a view that the T5 Concorde room was a business class lounge. I have been in the Concorde room and the Almaty business lounge. I proffer, with confidence, the view that there is no comparison. One reminds me of a 1970s British Rail station cafe, the other does not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.