Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is the LHR radar dish not going round?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Why is the LHR radar dish not going round?

Just got into LHR from DOH via BAH. A great flight with six hours sleep in 13K.

What was strange though was that I could see that the orange and white radar dish at LHR, the big one on the concrete tower, was not revolving. It normally does though, at least as far as I can remember.

Any ideas why this might be the case?

Many thanks in advance.

PS. I am going to write 'Sixth Freedom from FlyerTalk was here' in the guest book at Galleries Arrivals. Let me know/post a pic if you see it!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
It's no longer required and will shortly be decommissioned and removed as part of the Central Terminal Area redevelopment.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice smiley face. I resisted the opportunity to add any schoolboy graffiti.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Nice smiley face. I resisted the opportunity to add any schoolboy graffiti.
Go on ... write Swanhunter next to it!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Already on the HEX. Couldn't see your extraordinary blazer so assumed you were elsewhere.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
It's no longer required and will shortly be decommissioned and removed as part of the Central Terminal Area redevelopment.
Been replaced by a brand new head at Bovingdon. Next time anyone is going round in circles at BNN, look down and you might see it
Old Jun 29, 2012, 3:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci, BAEC (Silver), FlyBe
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
PS. I am going to write 'Sixth Freedom from FlyerTalk was here' in the guest book at Galleries Arrivals. Let me know/post a pic if you see it!
Ooh, that's a good idea. A much better version of the HighLife game, because this probably has a chance of success!

LGW Terraces guest-book for me...
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:07 pm

Another landmark gone. How do they expect me to navigate to T1?
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
It's been out of use for quite a while.....but I heard a story that it was to be kept turning otherwise the travelling public might get worried that there was no radar coverage anymore!
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by chucko
Another landmark gone. How do they expect me to navigate to T1?
Much of the road system is changing in the CTA, to accommodate the new T2 and its car park, and demolition of the Old Control Tower (OCT).

A new road to T3 opens next week to enable further T2 and OCT works.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA, VS, Hilton Honours
Oh no

The radar dish at LHR is part of my earliest memories of the airport and somehow my love of aviation...

In my mind removing the radar dish at LHR would be like removing the Houses of Parliament in London.. (actually the latter may not be a bad thing)...
Old Jun 30, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
What is the tower visible from the Hilton T4 car park it's been built approx 3 years??
Old Jul 1, 2012, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
jaguarpig

LHR has multiple radars to provide contingency.

Up until recently we had what is called the 23cm radar (the large one in the central area that has just stopped rotating), and the 10cm radar which is the one that moved to the southside (the one to which you refer).

There is a new radar on the old airfield at Bovingdon to the North of LHR to enable the 23cm to be switched off. We can also access the feed from the radar at Debden near Stansted.

Passengers may also see the smaller, fast rotating 'ship-style' radars on stalks around the airfield, one by the coach park northside, one east of the new T2 pier, one by the Royal Suite, and one by the fire station between T5 and T3. These are the ground radars, or in ATC speak part of the A-SMGCS (Advanced-Surface Movement Guidance and Control System).
Old Jul 1, 2012, 4:17 am

Programs: BA gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
Passengers may also see the smaller, fast rotating 'ship-style' radars on stalks around the airfield, one by the coach park northside, one east of the new T2 pier, one by the Royal Suite, and one by the fire station between T5 and T3. These are the ground radars, or in ATC speak part of the A-SMGCS (Advanced-Surface Movement Guidance and Control System).
Thanks, I had wondered what those ones were for.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
It's been out of use for quite a while.....but I heard a story that it was to be kept turning otherwise the travelling public might get worried that there was no radar coverage anymore!
Probbably showing my age but is WW cranking it round using a handle on his desk like the Met Police Commissioner cranked the revolving sign outside of New Scotland Yard in the Not the Nine O'Clock news sketch?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.