Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

To serve - what should we reasonably expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

This thread is spurred on by a post I made on the Qantas pages.
But it's so much friendlier over here!

I wrote an email to the CEO of Qantas with a glowing compliment. The email was sent on 24th April, and was opened by someone within the hour.
I didn't get an acknowledgement. It seems to have just been ignored.
I'm not naiive enough to expect a personal response from the CEO, but did think I would at least receive an auto reply.

So......I was a happy bunny, trying to pass on my thanks and appreciation. But now, I'm disgruntled.

The replies to my post were largely along the lines of - "well what did you expect?" "you should have followed the procedure" "the CEO is a busy man and must have tons of mail" etc etc

I can see why people would have replied like this, but it set me thinking.

Lets consider an Airline - such as BA.

Its a service business with a strapline "To Fly, to Serve"

But what should our expectations be?

If you're flying and the engine catches fire, I guess you would expect the Pilot to react in seconds.
If you are onboard and the kid in the seat next to you throws up, I guess you would expect the crew to react very quickly. A couple of minutes?
If you are travelling in a premium cabin, I guess you expect your bags checked in in a few minutes.
If you call to make a booking, I guess again, that you expect to be being served in just a few minutes.

If you contact Customer services, or indeed the CEO by email, how long ought you expect to wait? (me thinks that internally, the expecations placed on the "face to face" teams will be much greater than those expected of the anonymous teame lurking in the background....but is this fair on anybody???)
Old May 16, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
When you say 'contacting the CEO', you're not actually contacting the CEO, but a member of the customer service team/PA assigned to the CEO. I doubt the CEO reads individual emails, but rather gets high level summaries of customer feedback with general concerns/comments.

It would be more realistic to write in to/email the standard customer service team. I would expect a personalised response within a week or so if a complaint, but probably just a generic response for a compliment.

For BA, ba.com/welldone is the link you need.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
When you say 'contacting the CEO', you're not actually contacting the CEO, but a member of the customer service team/PA assigned to the CEO. I doubt the CEO reads individual emails, but rather gets high level summaries of customer feedback with general concerns/comments.

It would be more realistic to write in to/email the standard customer service team. I would expect a personalised response within a week or so.
Forgive me....but you are again just stating the blindingly obvious!

Should it matter who the hell I write to?
If I posted an email to the cleaner, isnt the onus on the business to have a sytem in place to satisfy (to a degree) the person initiating the correspondence.

yeh yeh, the CEO doesnt read his own mail. No surprise there. But what about the person that does? Aren't they capable of doing something with it?

The point of this thread, was more to highlight the greater expectations we all seem to have of the staff that actually come into contact with the general public, yet it appears that we all seem far more likely to accept a turgid response from anyone else!

But thanks for the post
Old May 16, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Cool We're all going to die!

Originally Posted by whiskerxx

Its a service business with a strapline "To Fly, to Serve"

But what should our expectations be?

If you're flying and the engine catches fire, I guess you would expect the Pilot to react in seconds.

If the engine catches fire, I expect to crash and burn.

If you are onboard and the kid in the seat next to you throws up, I guess you would expect the crew to react very quickly. A couple of minutes?

I would expect all that sick to go down my suit and ruin it. Sod's Law.

If you are travelling in a premium cabin, I guess you expect your bags checked in in a few minutes.

I expect my bags never to reach their final destination and be lost, and suffer on a holiday so terribly that I never want to fly again.

I expect nothing at all, and generally the worst, and that way I'm never disappointed and always pleasantly surprised with the result

In all seriousness though, for me personally, I expect to be given service ABOVE and BEYOND what the company promises. If there's no promise, I decide what I personally should expect and go from there (and kick up a fuss when that isn't met )

p.s been "lurking" around these forums for a few months now, your post I felt I needed to get involved in so...now a member and look forward to getting to know you all!
Old May 16, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
The point of this thread, was more to highlight the greater expectations we all seem to have of the staff that actually come into contact with the general public, yet it appears that we all seem far more likely to accept a turgid response from anyone else!

But thanks for the post
I may be slow but isn't this expected? Staff dedicated for customer contact will respond more quickly than ordinary office workers. In your case I guess your letter will be routed to the normal channel used for customer contact.

I would expect an answer within 2-3 weeks, depending on subject.
Old May 16, 2012, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lobengula
I may be slow but isn't this expected? Staff dedicated for customer contact will respond more quickly than ordinary office workers. In your case I guess your letter will be routed to the normal channel used for customer contact.

I would expect an answer within 2-3 weeks, depending on subject.
Without a doubt it seems to be what is expected.

But should it be accepted?

Why aren't the people at the "rear end" able to respond at the same speed as those at the front end?
It can only be complacency....can't it?
Old May 16, 2012, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyMeAwayPlease

If the engine catches fire, I expect to crash and burn.

I would expect all that sick to go down my suit and ruin it. Sod's Law.

I expect my bags never to reach their final destination and be lost, and suffer on a holiday so terribly that I never want to fly again.

I expect nothing at all, and generally the worst, and that way I'm never disappointed and always pleasantly surprised with the result

In all seriousness though, for me personally, I expect to be given service ABOVE and BEYOND what the company promises. If there's no promise, I decide what I personally should expect and go from there (and kick up a fuss when that isn't met )

p.s been "lurking" around these forums for a few months now, your post I felt I needed to get involved in so...now a member and look forward to getting to know you all!

A bottle half empty type of chap then?

By the way welcome to FT!
Old May 16, 2012, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I really don't get the idea of people emailing CEOs, vice-presidents, etc. From experience I know that the mail just gets forwarded to normal customer service channels (or at best escalated one level above it) after a few days, taking more time than contacting the normal channel.
Old May 16, 2012, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
I really don't get the idea of people emailing CEOs, vice-presidents, etc. From experience I know that the mail just gets forwarded to normal customer service channels (or at best escalated one level above it) after a few days, taking more time than contacting the normal channel.
I don't really know how many times I have to say this, but why does it matter who you contact?
Shouldn't there be a system (probably automated) in place to reassure you that your correspondence has been received and that it will be attended to?
As it happens its now been 3 weeks since my mail was opened, and no response whatsoever. I only know it has been received because I set the email settings to request a "read" response.

Why are people so prepared to accept such a slow response time?
Is it just because "thats the way it is"?
If the plane starts a sudden rapid descent and the Pilot is on a break, would we think its ok for him to wait until his break is over before seeing what the problem was, because he's entitled to one??
Old May 16, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by lilyjosh0
A bottle half empty type of chap then?

By the way welcome to FT!
Generally a very optimistic guy, when it comes to flying however....!

P.s thank you for the welcome!

Last edited by FlyMeAwayPlease; May 16, 2012 at 1:32 pm Reason: Needed at add a thank you!
Old May 16, 2012, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Did your email make it clear you expected a response?

Why not paste a copy in here so we can analyse this in context?
Old May 16, 2012, 2:35 pm

Hello all,

First time poster, long time lurker!

I just thought I'd drop my two pence worth in to say I'm not overly surprised at the lack of response: I had a terrible experience with Qantas last year when flying to SIN last year, which prompted me to complain to the CSD whilst onboard (something that I'd never done before, on any airline). She was quite sympathetic and cooperative, but also greatly encouraged me to email and voice my concerns too.
I consequently did using the Qantas web form, received an automated response to say the email had been received and would be processed.... then nothing. I even followed up with an email to see if they had received it several weeks later, received an automated response.... then nothing.
As a consequence, I was left extremely annoyed by the lack of service to the extent that I decided to avoid Qantas for any eastern trips from now on. It could have been easily avoided by them, and given they presumably must have received the messages, was pretty baffling customer service I thought. On the rare occasions I've complained to either BA or AA, they usually respond promptly, even if it is just a canned answer. At least there is some attempt, no matter how half hearted.

Ah well - I suppose it's a volume market really.
Old May 16, 2012, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cradders
Hello all,

First time poster, long time lurker!

I just thought I'd drop my two pence worth in to say I'm not overly surprised at the lack of response: I had a terrible experience with Qantas last year when flying to SIN last year, which prompted me to complain to the CSD whilst onboard (something that I'd never done before, on any airline). She was quite sympathetic and cooperative, but also greatly encouraged me to email and voice my concerns too.
I consequently did using the Qantas web form, received an automated response to say the email had been received and would be processed.... then nothing. I even followed up with an email to see if they had received it several weeks later, received an automated response.... then nothing.
As a consequence, I was left extremely annoyed by the lack of service to the extent that I decided to avoid Qantas for any eastern trips from now on. It could have been easily avoided by them, and given they presumably must have received the messages, was pretty baffling customer service I thought. On the rare occasions I've complained to either BA or AA, they usually respond promptly, even if it is just a canned answer. At least there is some attempt, no matter how half hearted.

Ah well - I suppose it's a volume market really.
Welcome to FT, and thanks for your post.

I'm not intentionally setting out to be critical of Qantas.

More questioning how customer focused Customer Service departments (and CEO's and their office) are allowed to be, when compared to the front facing staff, who presumably are expected to be attentive at all times?
Old May 16, 2012, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Mods - is there a reward for attracting a lurker and a first time poster??

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself!!
Old May 16, 2012, 3:00 pm

Welcome to FT, and thanks for your post.

I'm not intentionally setting out to be critical of Qantas.

More questioning how customer focused Customer Service departments (and CEO's and their office) are allowed to be, when compared to the front facing staff, who presumably are expected to be attentive at all times?
Cheers!

Well to be honest, I would expect that any company should respond to any form of customer enquiry if they want to be recognised as a customer driven company. That said, more often than not, when I send a company praise or a compliment, I get no response. That goes for BA, too: It's quite often that I'll send praise for good service from CC, but I don't think I've ever gotten a response from it.
It's a shame really, as it would be very easy for them to set a system where they can respond with a "Thanks for the comments, we are glad you were happy, etc etc" type of email. I'm surprised this is so often overlooked to be honest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.