Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

bmi : The formal decision tree on when to do your BA status match!

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: bmi diamond club lifetime gold, ba silver
Originally Posted by Prospero
Folks, I have received official confirmation from Nicci Fitzsimmons of BA clarifying the tier match proposition for existing Executive Club members.

Once your tier match is accepted, your EC tier will be adjusted to match your current Diamond Club tier. Your new tier status will last the duration of your current EC membership year plus 12 months beyond that.

This is very good news and I hope it helps put minds at ease.
Does this include silver/silver and gold/gold match? I am still wondering and need to decide soon, as I am at 1450 tier points now with BA, whether to stop crediting tier points to BA account so come renewal on 8 August I will be silver/gold matching (if you can do that while still getting other silver benefits). As I am a lifetime gold with bmi I would then hold off as long as possible before matching.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: BD, BA, VS, FB
BMI Silver Match

Firstly, thanks for the thread which is very interesting. I'm a newbie to posting, but have been surfing for a while.

I'm currently BMI Blue, but am travelling to Uzbekistan next week with Turkish and expect to be BMI Silver after I return.

I'm also existing BA Blue, but have tended to fly with them less often, so have a few Avios/TPs.

I can't see an expiry date on my BMI card or through their website (guess Blue never expires!).

My BAEC membership ends 8th August 2012 and card expires 30th Sept 2012.

Having read the thread I think I'm as well to match asap after I go up to Silver with BMI? Since I am existing BAEC member I should retain my TPs.

Can anyone confirm my understanding? Thanks.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:08 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by APTraveller
Firstly, thanks for the thread which is very interesting. I'm a newbie to posting, but have been surfing for a while.
Welcome.

I'm currently BMI Blue, but am travelling to Uzbekistan next week with Turkish and expect to be BMI Silver after I return.

I'm also existing BA Blue, but have tended to fly with them less often, so have a few Avios/TPs.

I can't see an expiry date on my BMI card or through their website (guess Blue never expires!).

Having read the thread I think I'm as well to match asap after I go up to Silver with BMI? Since I am existing BAEC member I should retain my TPs.

Assuming your Turkish flights are all completed enough to get you silver by 31st May?

If you match your new BMI DC Silver to your BAEC account BEFORE 8th August 2012:
You will be BA Silver until 8th August 2013.

If you match your new BMI DC Silver to your BAEC account AFTER 8th August 2012:
You will be BA Silver until 8th August 2014!

As such, if you will not be flying much with BA or OneWorld airlines in the summer, it could make sense to wait, as you will push your Silver status out for another year.

Your existing TP don't really matter. The match will get you BA Silver for all of your current BA membership year that remains plus all of the next.

BA Silver gets you lounge access when flying with oneworld airlines worldwide.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium

I would say you're better waiting until after 8th August to match (assuming they're still matching then). My BA Blue year ends on 8th August as well and I'm planning to wait until after then so that I get all of my BA membership year (until 8th August 2013) plus another 12 months (until 8th August 2014). This is all assuming that I've understood everything correctly but I'm fairly confident that I have. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm wrong.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: David-A beat me to it but confirmed my understanding.
Old May 10, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: BD, BA, VS, FB
Smile

Originally Posted by David-A
Assuming your Turkish flights are all completed enough to get you silver by 31st May?

If you match your new BMI DC Silver to your BAEC account BEFORE 8th August 2012: You will be BA Silver until 8th August 2013.

If you match your new BMI DC Silver to your BAEC account AFTER 8th August 2012: You will be BA Silver until 8th August 2014!
Excellent, thanks.^
My Turkish flights are 14 and 18th May, so hope all four flights (LHR-IST-TAS rtn) post before end of May to claim my Silver!

My trouble is that I will increasingly need to fly BA following demise of BMI. I regularly travel to Moscow and the only "decent" options have been BMI or BA...now only BA. I think an additional two months of BA Blue (June/July), for an additional year of Silver is worth it.
Old May 10, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hehe, my BA membership year ends May 8th 2013, and since May 8th passed two days ago is it "safe" for me to statusmatch today, or should I wait more?
Old May 10, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
Is there a way to simply transfer the Miles with no Status Match and/or Membership year reset?

I am BA Gold and bmi Silver. I have used almost all my bmi Miles but have roughly 8000 left. I switched all my flights to BA but as I am European based I do not want them to change my membership year to benefit from the 2 renewals at the old Levels. However if I could bring those Miles to BA that would be good.
Old May 10, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Herman ze German
Is there a way to simply transfer the Miles with no Status Match and/or Membership year reset?

I am BA Gold and bmi Silver. I have used almost all my bmi Miles but have roughly 8000 left. I switched all my flights to BA but as I am European based I do not want them to change my membership year to benefit from the 2 renewals at the old Levels. However if I could bring those Miles to BA that would be good.
There will be as of the 3rd of July. BA will be launching a tool then to allow you to transfer Avios to and from Diamond Club accounts.
Old May 10, 2012, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, MUCCI
Originally Posted by sigma421
There will be as of the 3rd of July. BA will be launching a tool then to allow you to transfer Avios to and from Diamond Club accounts.
Thank you
Old May 10, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
My trouble is that I will increasingly need to fly BA following demise of BMI. I regularly travel to Moscow and the only "decent" options have been BMI or BA...now only BA. I think an additional two months of BA Blue (June/July), for an additional year of Silver is worth it.
Remember that once you've got BD Silver you'll be able to get in to the BA lounges in London (and I believe there's mention of this soon applying to all BA lounges), so you won't need to totally slum it :P
Old May 10, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: MUCCI
I'd agree with your thinking (a wait could be worth it - if you won't be able to renew without effort etc).

We are assuming though that they do not announce a stop date for the match before then. [And we assume they will announce a stop date for the match, not just stop it.]

Do also keep in mind if you are going to be flying BA in the summer, as a BA Silver you will get 100% bonus Avios on BA flights, so the Avios benefits of having it could be high if doing a lot of flying shortly (i.e. if this level of flying will be higher than that you would do in the whole extra year you will get with status later on).

Needs to be a personal calculation.

Also, work out if you will be able to renew easily, etc. If your travel will let you renew eaisly,that could again be an argument to do it sooner.

But, based purely upon duration of matched status, waiting would indeed get you it for longer.

Last edited by David-A; May 10, 2012 at 10:50 pm
Old May 11, 2012, 12:20 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Folks, I have received official confirmation from Nicci Fitzsimmons of BA clarifying the tier match proposition for existing Executive Club members.

Once your tier match is accepted, your EC tier will be adjusted to match your current Diamond Club tier. Your new tier status will last the duration of your current EC membership year plus 12 months beyond that.

This is very good news and I hope it helps put minds at ease.
I received further communication from Nicci this morning. The statement above is incorrect - your membership year should have been reset when your tier match was accepted, per the guidance outlined in the ba.com FAQ.

My humble apology to you all for posting incorrect advice. I will keep you posted with further updates as they come in.
Old May 11, 2012, 1:44 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skrosvik
Hehe, my BA membership year ends May 8th 2013, and since May 8th passed two days ago is it "safe" for me to statusmatch today, or should I wait more?
I have that membership year end date as well. I applied late last week and have been matched with a shiny new Gold card on its way end dated 30 June 2014.
Old May 11, 2012, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I received further communication from Nicci this morning. The statement above is incorrect - your membership year should have been reset when your tier match was accepted, per the guidance outlined in the ba.com FAQ.

My humble apology to you all for posting incorrect advice. I will keep you posted with further updates as they come in.
Indeed, this is what the FAQs clearly said - though it seems from other reports further upthread that this is not what has been happening (so far).

Obviously, they're not going to "correct" the status matches done so far, but are they going to reset the membership years for all further status matchers?
Old May 11, 2012, 2:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Indeed, this is what the FAQs clearly said - though it seems from other reports further upthread that this is not what has been happening (so far).

Obviously, they're not going to "correct" the status matches done so far, but are they going to reset the membership years for all further status matchers?
There is no guarantee yet that those who have already had their status matched will not see membership year reset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.