Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: Job opportunities at LHR (BAA Security)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond

"You'll see happy faces, worried faces, old faces, young faces, shy faces, famous faces, tired faces, wide awake faces, excited faces and thank-you-for-the-help faces" claims the advert - not sure that there would be too many of the last category...

You too can apply for a Security Officer role for £22.5K plus benefits.

The blurb continues that "As 'the face of Heathrow', our Security Team has to do a hugely important job as patiently and politely as possible" (obviously this is a new requirement )

"You have to know when to be sensitive and when to be assertive. Safety is paramount, but good customer relations are vital too. It's a delicate balancing act and it calls for excellent people skills, a calm temperament, and keen powers of observation" (maybe it's an MI5 advert under cover)

"It could be an opportunity you've never considered before" (yep, that's right). "Well think again, because the training's top class, the money's good and the benefits are fantastic. Plus there's the constant buszz of Heathrow, the place where the world meets."

To find out more go to www.baa.com/careers
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
To find out more go to www.baa.com/careers
I'd rather go to www.ba.com/careers!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I'd rather go to www.ba.com/careers!
Indeed - unfortunately potentially paying even less than BAA security staff
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:35 pm

"You have to know when to be sensitive and when to be assertive. Safety is paramount, but good customer relations are vital too. It's a delicate balancing act and it calls for excellent people skills, a calm temperament, and keen powers of observation"
I think we all know which regular poster meets those criteria... (no, not HIDDY ) ... step forward Officer LTN Phobia.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, BA Lounge Rats, BA Audit Survivors, CW Kitchen Defender, CX Noodle Connoisseurs Club
Don't all rush at once for this amazing opportunity of a lifetime!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by at240
I think we all know which regular poster meets those criteria... (no, not HIDDY ) ... step forward Officer LTN Phobia.
Actually, you're right - maybe this is also the job description for a moderator
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Well, as the old saying goes - somebody's got to do it.

Don't forget that none of us would be able to fly without security staff. They may not all be the most personable or polite people in the world, but to categorise them all in such a way is rather like the 'lounge dragon' saying.

I'm sure a lot of people would be thankful for the job.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
Indeed - unfortunately potentially paying even less than BAA security staff
The Mixed Fleet basic is just £12,000.

£20,000 is what BA estimate they will earn in total but this includes their houly elapsed pay, which they are required to purchase food from while staying down route, and bonuses for not going sick, not being late and performance.

So in reality the BAA job is very well paid in comparison to a new Mixed Fleet crew member.

Last edited by Littlegirl; Mar 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by PanGalactic
Don't all rush at once for this amazing opportunity of a lifetime!
and yet again, the snobbery of the BA board appears again.

Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:15 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
and yet again, the snobbery of the BA board appears again.

Hadn't realised you had become a security guard. Hope the career change is working out for you
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:19 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

I am sure for those who may find themselves unemployed through no fault of their own in the current climate then a job with 22k a year or 20k for cc would be welcome. Not that bad a pay packet either for what are technically unskilled jobs.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Blue, VS Silver
22k isn't too bad a salary.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA bronze
Originally Posted by BOH
Hadn't realised you had become a security guard. Hope the career change is working out for you
Career change, working out just fine. Thanks
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:42 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbird218
Career change, working out just fine. Thanks
Well am pleased for you ^ I could never do that job, staring at a monitor looking at the contents of passenger hand-luggage. Career change indeed!
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
I could never do that job, staring at a monitor looking at the contents of passenger hand-luggage.
I'm not sure whether I'm surprised that - to use someone else's words upthread - an unskilled job is so reasonably paid; or that those who are charged with assuring our safety are so poorly paid.

Littlegirl - thanks for sharing the numbers, it does help somewhat to put in context the unions' objections (even if not excusing the bloody Trots' behaviour).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.