Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's handling of lost property left on-board

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's handling of lost property left on-board

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Etihad Gold
A very kind purser called my mobile (from a business card in my pocket) when I left my jacket and wallet on board, he met me at T5 (waiting 15 mins or more) and returned it.

Beyond excellent service.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
So I guess a note or a sticker might be a good idea.
I'm not sure that would work - i can't see many people, who are awfully proud of their phone, walking about with a sticker on it

Unless of course, you write on it "Remember me"

berlinflyer83's comment of some phones being able to put some text on the lock screen is probably the best way - a previous Blackberry of mine had that, though I'm not sure if its possible with my current HTC.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA LTG/GGL/CCR, AF PLAT, ETHIHAD AND LH USELESS PLASTIC
I've had superb service in the return of a sentimentally-important signed copy of a book left in a seat-back pocket in CE to LGW - padded envelope in the mail from Special Services with a compliments slip - I had used my boarding pass as a bookmark ^

Same CE flight a couple of years later into LGW and I forget a £200 pair of pro headphones in the seat pocket... call to lost property later that day yet I never saw them again

Bag of duty free goods into LHR on BA a few years back... never saw that again despite call the next morning to lost luggage with precise flight/seat number info

Now that I've been thrice bitten I've never made this mistake again and always check the drawer, personal wardrobe, front wardrobe and overhead bins thoroughly...
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
Originally Posted by HighLife
I've had superb service in the return of a sentimentally-important signed copy of a book left in a seat-back pocket in CE to LGW - padded envelope in the mail from Special Services with a compliments slip - I had used my boarding pass as a bookmark ^

Same CE flight a couple of years later into LGW and I forget a £200 pair of pro headphones in the seat pocket... call to lost property later that day yet I never saw them again

Bag of duty free goods into LHR on BA a few years back... never saw that again despite call the next morning to lost luggage with precise flight/seat number info

Now that I've been thrice bitten I've never made this mistake again and always check the drawer, personal wardrobe, front wardrobe and overhead bins thoroughly...
Leica camera left on board LHR-FRA recovered from T5 lost and found^ There is a room at the far end of Arrivals in T5 where you pay a £15 recovery fee. The room is packed to the rafters with assorted items.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:01 pm

In a particularly senior mement I left my phone and my reading specs on board in the draw. I realised when I tried to ring for my car, and it was very quickly retrieved by a chap at the missing baggage counter in the baggage reclaim area who kindly ran back to the aircraft for me. When he got back I had also forgotten a tin of mints and a magazine.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold; TK Gold; M&M Silver
Didn't read the whole thread so apologies if this is already covered, but I think the time lapse before BA are contacted is a big factor. What can they realistically do hours later?

On the other hand, I left my Ipad in the seat pocket getting off a SH just before Xmas. Realised after security, so wandered round to the arrivals lounge within 10 mins of disembarking and the fantastic lady on the door sent me in to sit down and wait while said Ipad was brought round for me. Couldn't have asked for better service.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
I left a coat on a plane once when I arrived at LHR. I was 1/2 way to passport control when I realised. Ran back, but because of the way arrivals are segregated at heathrow (T3?) there was no way back to the plane.

I asked at the desk in the baggage hall. Nothing, but got a number to call. I called it next day and whoever was on the other end said fine,it will be at checkin for your return flight tonight. And it was!

Great service. I think the airline was Finnair, but the hard work was whoever handles bags and lost property.

I also left a phone on a BA plane in december. I just got passed to the lost property and never saw it again.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
I know that a lot of people have an electronic lock on their phone, so no one else can use it, but my personal advice would be not to use this.
Just thought I would share that snippet of info with you.
I would not suggest that. I rather not find the phone, then have someone get hold of info from my phone.

The better idea would be to have a screen saver that has got a email address or/and another phone no.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I left my toiletries bag on board once, and realised when I was in the shower in the T5 Arrivals Lounge.

To cut a long story short: within an hour, someone had driven over to the maintenance base to retrieve it, and driven back to T5 to hand it to me in the lounge.

I will never forget that! ^
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:14 pm

Sorry to hear of the loss of your Kindle. Unfortunately, time is the big factor. If you realise what you have done straightaway, a staff member can be detailed to go back on board and check for you. I must stress, time is of the essence.

If the engineers require the aircraft for maintenance, a tug will already be standing by to tow the aircraft away immediately the passengers have disembarked.

Similarly, if the aircraft is being used again, the cleaners will be on board immediately rummaging around and once they have any "found" property, it enters into a journey towards the giant maw of "Bagport". It is unlikely that "Bagport" will have any record of it until it has been missing for between 2 and 7 days.

When the customer service staff, or the cabin crew, are given a fighting chance to retrieve lost property, they go to it with a will. Unfortunately, time is so often not on our side!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, PC Platinum
Left my Blackberry on the BA012 from SIN and despite a 4 hour connection BA were unable to deliver it to me from the seatpocket. The lady in Galleries at T5 was tremendous in doing her best to help but as "lost property dont start till 6am" we missed out as the plane was being towed to the maintenance hanger.

While I appreciate the BA team did what they could, it is incredibly frustrating that no-one can lay their hands on it during a 4-hour wait and yes I do fully accept its my own darn fault that I left it behnd.

The worse bit though was dealing with BagPort who were quite simply appalling and could not be bothered to deal with my queries either by phone or email. indeed the email I eventually received was so poor it stated "the phone has most likely been removed from the plane and not entered the lost property process". Sounds like a veiled attempt at saying it has been pocketed!

Still never been reunited with my beloved Blackberry which I do find pretty poor given the aircraft never re-entered service until a full 16 hours later
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
have a look on www.missingx.com , its amazing whats listed on there.

I left an iPod touch in the FLounge on Friday 13th earlier thsi month. no sign of it since, despite calling a few times and doing the online claim form. I blame the bubbles for my loss.

good luck in getting reunited with you lost items.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:37 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by where next
I blame the bubbles for my loss.

BAH
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by sammyh25

It's not always easy for us as crew to reunite passengers with their left behind goods... The cabins are checked when everyone has left the aircraft, by which time you are well on your way to flight connections or baggage reclaim. Only last week one of the crew ran through T5 with a First customer's handbag that she had left in the bottom of her personal wardrobe. We never found her and had to hand it in to customer services where the whole "lost property" cycle would no doubt begin.
Originally Posted by BAHumbug

For the record there are plenty of cases here of people who have been reunited with items where BA have gone the extra mile, so your implication that they don't do this is not really the case. There was a thread a few days ago where someone left their iPad in the lounge and a BA staff member brought it to them on the plane before the aircraft took off.

I hope your insurers cough up with no hassle at least.

BAH
indeed... I arrived on Concorde once and heard my name being called by the crew at baggage reclaim... they had my duty free for me!!

given we only had something like 7 minutes from arrival to bags being out they did a spectacular job!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
Originally Posted by BAHumbug

BAH

I suppose bubbles could have sat on it without noticing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.