Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Involuntary Award Schedule Change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Involuntary Award Schedule Change

A few months ago, prior to the Excutive Club changes, I made a booking JFK-LIM-EZE-SCL with a stopover in EZE. This was entirely on LAN. A little while ago there was a schedule change causing a missed connection in LIM.

The first time I called EC they were, well rude, and also told me my options were to cancel the award or wait until there was award availability as there currently was none on alternate flights. Second time I called they were nicer, but still could only rebook my on LAN flights that had award availability, which they did but with a 24 hour layover in LIM which is not ideal.

So, my question. What sort of responsibility do they have to get me to EZE? My final destination is SCL, and they don't seem to be willing to book on flights that don't have the award availability, or open any seats up. I've read other posters have success in similar situations but EC was able to get award seats opened up or book on any flight. If it does need to have award seats, would they change my departure city, and add another operating airline? So instead of LAN JFK-LIM, it would be ORD-MEX-LIM on AA and LAN?

Just trying to figure out what responsibilities they have, and what I should say next time I call.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This will happen a lot over the next year due to many N Americans booking multi stop awards on LAN pre Avios.....they are notorious for changing schedules.
LAN Argentina are being thrown out of AEP so those who have flights through there could be in trouble.
Hope you get something sorted out but my advice would be to be as flexible as possible with what they offer you.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

As an update in case it helps anyone else out, I called again with a few flight options that had award availability. But, as they involved one flight on a different carrier (AA) I was shot down. If they do open up, they will change them for free.

It looks like if there is a schedule change on LAN, that causes a misconnection, you will need to find alternate flights with award availability. Quite difficult when the flight is a short time away and flights are full.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I'm in a similar boat. My MDZ-AEP nonstop was booked this summer. First schedule change moved my flight by 6 hours, and I called and got rebooked MDZ-SCL-AEP. Now schedule change made an illegal connection time, so they automatically put me on the next SCL-AEP with award availability . . .3 hours later. Total travel time for what was a 55 minute MDZ-AEP flight getting me in at 1pm? 7.5 hours with a 4.5 hr layover in SCL, arriving at midnight.

BA tells me to suck it up.

I will likely shell out the $200 for a revenue ticket on the stupid 55 minute flight. The experience is making me fly Aerolineas out of spite.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:24 pm

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
As Hiddy said this will happen a lot with all the itineraries booked late last year.

I redeem well in advance on LAN most years and I think I'm right in saying I've yet to have a redemption where there wasn't a schedule change. Sometimes it's an hour here or there, sometimes it means an overnight stay somewhere to get an award seat the next day.

I've always found BA to be helpful (they usually call me shortly after the email comes out with the schedule change) but not succeeded on getting non-award seats or changing carrier for any legs.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:33 am

I don't think this is an acceptable policy. I've had plenty of other schedule changes on award tickets on other airlines, and I've always been accommodated. British Airways' refusal to advocate on behalf of its customers is inexcusable. It is not how an alliance should operate. Since none of the SCL-AEP flights had award availability, LAN clearly made a decision to reassign me to the last flight of the night. BA should push back

Moreover, this is my second schedule change. The way British Airways has informed me of the change is to send an email, with no note or anything, simply entitled "Your Travel Information." On a six segment flight, this means scanning through the poorly formatted document and comparing times with the last itinerary to see if anything has changed. At the least, BA could tell you (1) there was a change and (2) what the change was.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: BA: CCR / GGL / GFL Marriott: PtFL
@Adam1222 Was that on LAN too, or elsewhere? Either way I expect different airlines and alliances do different things. I certainly don't think that BA can magic up award seats on a Oneworld partner if there aren't any.

I think your particular case is complicated by (or due to) the fact, as Hiddy points out, from this month LAN Argentina are not doing regional flights to AEP so there is no MDZ-AEP flight anymore.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by peterrabbit
@Adam1222 Was that on LAN too, or elsewhere? Either way I expect different airlines and alliances do different things. I certainly don't think that BA can magic up award seats on a Oneworld partner if there aren't any.

I think your particular case is complicated by (or due to) the fact, as Hiddy points out, from this month LAN Argentina are not doing regional flights to AEP so there is no MDZ-AEP flight anymore.
MDZ-AEP is being sold on my dates. And I am going to buy a revenue ticket on it today.

I'm not expecting them to "magic up" award seats. I'm expecting them to have a better system with their partner that if they cancel a flight, they rebook the passenger on a reasonable alternative, even if there aren't award seats available. This especially seems to be the case since LAN has tons of seat availability on the relevant flights, and appears to be manipulating award availability. If my flight is cancelled the day before I leave, and there is no award availability left, will BA just say "tough, find a way home?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.