Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Inconsistent, bizarre, or germanic japes?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: ACDC Gold
Inconsistent, bizarre, or germanic japes?

In Munich for the day.
Returning with exactly the same hand luggage (no hold bag) from yesterday evening's flights (GLA-LHR-MUC).
At security I offer my laptop and bag with toothpaste etc. The security lady dives into my bag and triumphantly pulls out my oversize deodorant.
When asked if i would like to check my bag in to allow it through I take the second option offered of her just binning it.
She places it in the same tray as my toothpaste, I presume, to ensure it was safe to discard - fair enough.
I then pass through detector and when tray comes i take toothpaste only. I am handed the deodorant by her male colleague. I look at her through the detector point at the spray and mouth 'bin' while doing the international sign for a query´- shrugged shoulders and more highly shrugged eyebrows. She nods. He has not clocked any of this. He then opens my bag, kindly, for me to deposit forementioned toileteries in. So i do so and walk away waiting for the holler. Which never came.
I'm bemused.
Seriously that stuff is messing with my mind.

Is this a common occurence or just a brain storm on his part?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I had the British security agents at Heathrow tell me that I couldn't take a half-empty 120ml bottle of liquid tylenol for my daughter on the plane because the bottle was more than 100ml. Nevermind that it was clear and half-empty, thus only 60ml of liquid. They made me throw it away and go to Boots in the terminal to buy more in a smaller bottle.

The only airport I know where the workers aren't blindly following some dumb formula on liquids is Tel Aviv, because they profile everyone.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:56 am

I have no idea what a 'jape' is, or if it in an insult, and frankly found your post very difficult to understand.

As a very frequent user of MUC I will say that they are amongst the best security I see around the world.

And they do tend to keep to the rules; oversized items are generally permitted after inspection, just as at LHR, so long as they are not excessive in size and number. 100ml items not placed in a plastic bag are rejected until one places them in a bag (there are vending machines before security, but often the screeners offer one up at no cost if they have spares)

My 'oversize' antiperspirant which is of a type once only sold in the US gets a second look and physical check (and sometimes ETD) every single time at LHR. But I don't consider that to mean that the staff are LHR are incompetent or bizarre or other such term. (It also gets the same treatment at GLA, EDI, CWL and pretty much every other airport in the UK as well)

After a second reading it sounds like the staff at MUC were their usual sensible, reasonable selves, and permitted you to keep your item. I'm not certain why the complaint.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NYTA
I had the British security agents at Heathrow tell me that I couldn't take a half-empty 120ml bottle of liquid tylenol for my daughter on the plane because the bottle was more than 100ml. Nevermind that it was clear and half-empty, thus only 60ml of liquid. They made me throw it away and go to Boots in the terminal to buy more in a smaller bottle.

The only airport I know where the workers aren't blindly following some dumb formula on liquids is Tel Aviv, because they profile everyone.

Rule relates to container size, not volume of liquid.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mentor of monty
... but if there is no liquid in the container you can take any size through.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by mentor of monty
I think the rule also places no limit on the number of containers so any clever terrorist would simply fill 100 100ml bottles with liquid explosives and then detonate them together. My point is that they are just blindly following some idiotic rule rather than using their brains.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
I think the rule also places no limit on the number of containers so any clever terrorist would simply fill 100 100ml bottles with liquid explosives and then detonate them together. My point is that they are just blindly following some idiotic rule rather than using their brains.
They have to fit in a single bag with a (I think) 1 litre maximum capacity.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
... but if there is no liquid in the container you can take any size through.
I've found that anomaly funny too. You can't take a full 200ml liquid bottle through, but you can take two 100ml liquid bottles and an empty 200ml bottle, then, after security, pour the two 100ml into the 200ml.

I guess they have to draw the line somewhere though.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Paralytic
They have to fit in a single bag with a (I think) 1 litre maximum capacity.
Exactly. The plastic bag has to be 1L or less, and is supposed to be sealed when passing through - so that you could, under no circumstances, have a litre of liquid in total in your hand luggage.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Exactly. The plastic bag has to be 1L or less, and is supposed to be sealed when passing through - so that you could, under no circumstances, have a litre of liquid in total in your hand luggage.
Unless you had a 10 carefully shaped bags that fitted inside the 1 litre bag
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:46 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 3:56 am
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:15 pm

OP might find this site useful
http://snallabolaget.com/?page_id=506
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ACDC Gold
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
OP might find this site useful
http://snallabolaget.com/?page_id=506
Much obliged! However not really looking to smuggle anything. It was a stupid oversight on my part overlooked on my first two flights, then rightly picked up in MUC. Then overlooked at MUC.
I'm in LHR having declared it to the guys at pre-security, and even set them up for the Alley-Oop!! (google it).

I've learned my lesson and won't be the cause again.

Toodles!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Dennis the Menace Fan Club
I've often thought about filling my mouth with water, cheeks puffed out hamster stylee, to see how much liquid I could smuggle through security. I'm sure I could take at least a couple of pints in my bladder too.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by borofergie
I've often thought about filling my mouth with water, cheeks puffed out hamster stylee, to see how much liquid I could smuggle through security. I'm sure I could take at least a couple of pints in my bladder too.
That is very funny!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.