Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Open Day 3rd September - a "Trip Report" in 24 photos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond

This isn't going to be truly representative of everything that there was to see at the Open Day (there were quite a few suppliers there, and also abseiling/rock climbing that only seemed relevant because they had the height of the hanger!). However, these are my favourite 24 photos of the day - I hope that those of you who are going tomorrow enjoy the day as much as we did (and do bring your own lunch!) and that those of you who are London/South East England based who didn't get tickets this year have better luck next year. I'm not a technical expert so I hope that my "facts" are correct - let me know if not! Finally a plea, if anyone is going tomorrow and can get me an A380 BA branded model I'll pay you for the postage - they had lots today, but never when I went to the stand!

757: In old livery, was being used for Customer Service training for children (in German and French too) today and apparently the secret of a BA smile is to wear red lipstick and show your teeth..... the 757 was retired last year and a number are being converted to FedEx freight planes.

777 Engine: Fascinating to see the inside of the engine up close

Cargo trucks: Children (and I guess adults!) could get a ride round in one of these.

De-icers: Children (and definitely adults!) could get to take the controls of one of these

Planes/uniforms through the ages: I didn't get to see the "fashion show" but they did have a number of uniforms/model planes on display

Dreamliner Engine: Rolls Royce had quite a bit stand, including the Trent 1000

Engineering teams: The three British engineering teams each had a stand, including this bit of kit that had been designed to help with the "lean" removal of CW seats!

Flight data recorders: Orange boxes, not black

777 tyre

Lounge concept area: They had some seating and the opportunity to mix some "mocktails" but unfortunately not the free flowing champagne that they had at Taste of London. Of course they had a horse...

Chinook: The RAF and air cadets had a presence there, and you could have a look onboard a Chinook (you can also see the Elemis Spa bus in the background!).

Small plane! Main purpose of this is to show the hi-vis tabards given to children for completing a quiz.

Three BA planes - two on the ground, one in the air

Interiors Engineering: Had mock-ups of all the seats, an evacuation slide, and the chance to don a life vest and inflate it!

New WT+ seating

Evacuation slide: Yes, I did feel the "knicker ripper" BBB!

Babcock robot: The children were fascinated that this robot could talk to them!

Sigh.... you couldn't go on this, far less fly it

The Concorde, 747, 777 (tail) 757

TBC.....

Last edited by LondonAndy; Sep 4, 2011 at 12:25 am
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Continued (20 image limit!)

A380

Spot the airline that has cancelled its order

Data collection equipment inside the A380

Crew quarters in the 747: Fascinating the 8 bunks and 4 seats upstairs at the back of the plane.

I hope you enjoyed the photos and, if you got to go, enjoyed it as much as I did! Thanks BA for a great day out which was wonderfully organised (except for the catering perhaps....)
Old Sep 3, 2011, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for posting. ^

Looks pretty good fun.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Should have been there

Thanks for posting ^
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Glad to see the horse made it! He looks more smiley than I remember
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Thanks for posting! Looks really good...

Glad you experienced the "Knicker Ripper" on the slide...

I am glad that BA did this, it really is a great thing to be involved with the community that we serve.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I missed the horse! Well done BA
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:44 pm

Thank your for posting the photos - I enjoyed them, looked like an interesting day. I know I will sound like a geekette, but that photo of the tire was really interesting. What can I say?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Sorry I missed this but great to see your report. ^

They could sell tickets to ride in the crew quarters! I'm sure the crew like it - is there something similar though in the 777?
Old Sep 3, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Nice report ^

I would've gone to the Open Day had I been in London.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks for posting the pics LondonAndy ^

Could almost feel as if I was there, wish I could have gone!

Really good that BA organised this for the BAEC, a big thank you and I hope to be there next year if they do it again ^
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Very nice pics ^ and I sort of wish I was there and not out of the country.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Fruitcake
They could sell tickets to ride in the crew quarters! I'm sure the crew like it - is there something similar though in the 777?
As far as im aware, Some but not all 772's are fitted with crew bunks in the loft space, all 773's have the crew bunks.

cs
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Was gutted I didn't get tickets. I would have loved to have a look round the A380.
Old Sep 3, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: Gold Circle, KrisFlyer, SkyMiles, Tesco Clubcard
Great photos, thanks for posting.

Babcock? Really? Unfortunate name!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.