Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Musings from my double Op Up from WT+ to F LHR to JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Musings from my double Op Up from WT+ to F LHR to JFK

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott LTP/PE
Musings from my double Op Up from WT+ to F LHR - JFK (now steak on a plane thread)

Some will have noted my post earlier in the week enquiring on hand luggage allowance on AA. I was booked WT+ on BA to JFK, and then AA onwards to IND. I was unable to OLCI 24 hours before. About 12 hours before flight time, I was able to see that I had been upgraded to J. Yippee!! I did not print by BP, and with about 3 hours to go before leaving home, I decided to print out my BP, as I’ve come to the conclusion that the electronic BP on a Blackberry is annoying (the BA and BAA staff handle it like they’ve never seen one before, the always touch the screen trying to make the image move (its not an iphone) and your constantly refreshing the screen as you work your way through the BP checkpoints.

Anyway, I had been upgraded again to F. Lots of excitement in the Buddman household (well, I was excited. Mrs Buddman tried to be excited for me but I think she could care less), running out of the house to get to T5 as fast as possible to a least get a quick look at the CCR. I was pumped.

Anyway, I’m not going to go into every detail. Overall, compared to J, my F experience was really good, but more in terms of service from the BA teams than cabin comfort or facilities.

CCR – I was only there for 45 minutes. Had a good club sandwich and a few bevies. The look and feel is not dramatically different than the Flounge. If anything, it felt more crowded as the room is significantly smaller. I smirked in recalling the recent FT thread on “appropriate F attire” as there were lots of kids in there and 20 year old with baseball caps turned sideways. Service was much more immediate and attentive than in Flounge, no question.

F cabin – very nice. Didn’t feel terribly different than J although the seat spacing and width is more generous, and it certainly feels private. I think the leather padded arm rest are much more comfortable compared to the ones in J both when up, and when retracted for sleeping. To make my day go from strength to strength, 1A was unoccupied and I was asked to move there from 5K to make room for a couple travelling together. This is a great seat. The best thing is that on the 744, you have a somewhat forward looking view out the 2 windows near the nose, which gives a much more interesting view of the world then looking 90 degrees out the side of the fuselage in any other seat.

Big points on the enjoyment factor for 1A

Food in F – pretty poor. My selection for starter was unavailable, and they followed the correct procedure in taking my order and then coming back to me later once those that had actually paid for F seats were served their first choice, I had the rib-eye steak and it was a hockey puck. Didn’t eat it at all. The crew were not terribly surprised, mentioned that it was hard to get the steak right, and replaced it with a salmon and bream combo, which was fine but nothing special. I didn’t have anything else to eat other than tea and scones.

Wine – was really excellent I thought. Tattinger champagne, a few too many glasses of the Chateau Yon-Figeac and the Jackson-Triggs Icewine meant that I missed 40% of my F experience while in a horizontal doze. A very pleasant doze.

The crew was really good, super in fact A guy and a girl – she more efficient, he more earnest – I’m sure nothing would have been to much of a bother for them, but I did feel a bit of an interloper and I was pretty low maintenance. The male CC organised a wine tasting for the russian chap in 1K. Nice!

So, Positives for me:
(1) BA for giving me a double Op Up.
(2) Seat 1A on 744
(3) Wine selection
(4) Cabin crew service
(5) Jammies (which I am now wearing in my hotel)

Nothing to get over over over excited about
(1) CCR vs Flounge (sorry to say)
(2) NF interior vs J. However, I’m sure NF is a big improvement over OF.

Area for improvement
(1) Food. Dire.

Thank BA – it was a real treat.

Buddman

Last edited by buddman; Aug 24, 2011 at 5:04 am
Old Aug 23, 2011, 9:56 pm

Nice report, thanks for posting.

Moral of the story: NEVER order steak on a plane.

It's really hard for the crew to get right and rarely excellent. Much better to stick to the fish, soups and things which work best in a dehydrated environment.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver; VS Gold; HHonors Diamond; Amex Centurion; IHG Platinum; Club Accor Platinum; TfL Oyster.
Nice to hear of your good luck and to read your objective assessment of the trip. ^
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, and others
Originally Posted by oscietra
Nice report, thanks for posting.

Moral of the story: NEVER order steak on a plane.

I'd disagree! As much as I prefer flying BA over AA or DL, I've had some absolutely fantastic (pink in the middle) steaks on both the latter! And that's in Domestic F!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evacboy
I'd disagree! As much as I prefer flying BA over AA or DL, I've had some absolutely fantastic (pink in the middle) steaks on both the latter! And that's in Domestic F!
I was about to post the same. Have had quite a few excellent steaks on AA, although a few hockey pucks did manage to slip in, most likely caused by the FA in the galley not following the cooking instructions.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
The difference between BA and AA is that on BA all* the food is brought on board frozen solid, including the steaks. They therefore need to defrost and cook in one operation. That will never work well, especially not on steaks. On BA you are basically always eating 'TV dinners' no matter what class you fly.

On AA the steaks (at least) are not frozen.

So it was explained to me by an F purser on BA.

* except the salads (maybe that's why they are always so bad) and the cold dishes.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:10 am

BA food, especially in F, is not frozen.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oscietra
BA food, especially in F, is not frozen.
Well, in that case many a purser, cabin crew or even CSD has told me fibs when I asked why on God's green earth they could not prepare a steak rare. What is your explanation for BA's inability to do so?

Here is a little article about Qantas doing the same: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/q...-1226048081629

Last edited by henkybaby; Aug 24, 2011 at 12:34 am
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:41 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by henkybaby
That will never work well, especially not on steaks.
I nearly always have steak on a plane, I have had crap a couple of times, average a few which is fine by me good and excellent a number of times including quite rare just how I like it.

So saying NEVER is a bit of a generalisation.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CT-UK
So saying NEVER is a bit of a generalisation.
Are you talking BA or 'in general'? I had excellent steaks on planes but NEVER on BA.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is another article claiming the same (about BA catering in particular): http://www.terminalu.com/features/an...ane-food/2181/

We watch a chef work tirelessly flipping steaks. It can often be the only task they do all day. The steaks are cooked ‘medium rare’, we’re told, preserving their moisture (and quality) as they’re reheated on the aircraft. We also spot a chef grilling vegetables, before stacking them high on a trolley.

All cooked food ends up in ‘blast chillers’, which freeze the products within two hours. While non-perishable food is stored in a giant ‘pantry’.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:16 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by henkybaby
Are you talking BA or 'in general'? I had excellent steaks on planes but NEVER on BA.
On BA, infact the best steaks I have had on a plane have been on BA.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I've had excellent steaks on ME and BD but never on BA.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:28 am

Programs: MUCCI, BAEC Silver, A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by CT-UK
On BA, infact the best steaks I have had on a plane have been on BA.
+1 - GRU-LHR if the fact it might have been prepared in Brazil has any bearing, and it was in WT+.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am aware of 5 different ways of preparing steak for consumption on planes. 4 of them involve heating the steak twice. The fifth way - pan frying or grilling a properly hung steak from ambient on board is no longer, to the best of my knowledge, available on a commercial airline.

Steak gets its melt in the mouth qualities from the streams of "marbled" fat riddling the flesh. Good cattle breeding gets the fat in the right place; proper slaughter technique avoids flavour atrophy; hanging accentuates the potential flavour; frying or grilling the steak brings this together into the dish we all know. Cooking a steak twice can never be as good as a single go at it.

It is possible to have an acceptable flavour from being double cooked. It is easy to destroy the product. It is impossible to get perfect steak from double cooking. Personally I feel that eating steaks on a plane literally does not do justice to the cattle, and is one of those pleasures reserved for a good restaurant on the ground.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.