Wiki Posts
Search

Comp CX Gold (OW Sapphire) with Amex Plat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by tangey
THanks for that, looks like I was in the process of looking up the BA site and seeing the seat selection criteria, and changing my post, when you posted your reply.

How do you go about telling Ba.com you have OW sapphire, I have a couple of long distance flights coming up and would be nice to pick the seats. I'm currently blue so they are looking for a payment to do it before T-24 hours.
I don't know, but I suspect you may have to call it in. As I have never had any OW status other than BA I've not experimented with adding a different OW FF number into MMB.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Once you have your CX number associated with the actual booking though, I assume you'll be throwing any miles/ points earned on that trip into a CX pot as opposed to BA
That shouldn't affect your ability to select seats. And you may still want to contribute to BA, since the TP/miles earning is more generous. Whilst aggravating, you would have to initially associate your CX number to get free seat selection, then change it to your BA account to get the miles, but show up at the lounge with your CX card.

Then again, this sort of defeats the purpose as you can't re-qualify for CX this way!
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:17 am

So as a BA blue flying CW (no free seat selection until T-24), I can now select seats free as a CX Gold (OW Sapphire). Can I do this over the phone or do I have to change my FF number to CX, select the seats, and then change back to BAEC for my BA points and miles?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SteveF
So as a BA blue flying CW (no free seat selection until T-24), I can now select seats free as a CX Gold (OW Sapphire). Can I do this over the phone or do I have to change my FF number to CX, select the seats, and then change back to BAEC for my BA points and miles?
If you are a Oneworld Sapphire, you can select your seats from the time of booking:
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb

You should easily be able to do this over the phone (but you will need to connect your CX number to the booking to recognise the status and then switch back to BAEC if you want to earn BA miles/tier ponts for the trip). Until know, I've been happy leaving my AA Plat in the booking and earning the miles in that program.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the BA MMB isn't flexible enough to allow you to do this online but I have managed to achieve this on the MMB part of the Finnair website (but you need to switch back to the BA website to select the seats).
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by where2travel
If you are a Oneworld Sapphire, you can select your seats from the time of booking:

You should easily be able to do this over the phone (but you will need to connect your CX number to the booking to recognise the status and then switch back to BAEC if you want to earn BA miles/tier ponts for the trip). Until know, I've been happy leaving my AA Plat in the booking and earning the miles in that program.

Perhaps not surprisingly, the BA MMB isn't flexible enough to allow you to do this online but I have managed to achieve this on the MMB part of the Finnair website (but you need to switch back to the BA website to select the seats).
Thanks. I made the booking some time ago (F to MEX and CW back from CUN). I don't want any CX miles or points, just the free CW seats so I'll just phone and grab the best two CW seats (the cabin is completely empty apart from the blocked bassinet seats). Thats' £120 saved thanks to AMEX!

Edit: Actually I've just realized that because they are reward flights it makes no difference whether I'm BA or CX (no TPs or miles) so I may as well change it to CX and travel with status for a change .

Last edited by SteveF; Aug 3, 2011 at 5:48 am
Old Aug 3, 2011, 5:51 am

Programs: Avios Hunter

Excellent info, thanks, I've just played with the finnair site and can see that they allow FF numbers/alliance to be changed, so I'll be all set once the CX gold comes through.

Last edited by tangey; Aug 3, 2011 at 6:39 am
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by tangey
Excellent info, thanks, I've just played with the finnair site and can see that they all FF numbers/alliance to be changed, so I'll be all set once the CX gold comes through.
If I understand correctly, you mean that you can change the FF number associated with a BA reservation to CX on the Finnair site? And then ba.com will allow you to select seats if you are OW sapphire?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by SteveF
If I understand correctly, you mean that you can change the FF number associated with a BA reservation to CX on the Finnair site? And then ba.com will allow you to select seats if you are OW sapphire?
Spot on (it has definitely worked like that for me before now, even when BA Customer Services had refused outright to switch the FF number for me over the telephone "because it is an award booking", which is complete nonsense).
Old Aug 3, 2011, 6:58 am

Spot on (it has definitely worked like that for me before now, even when BA Customer Services had refused outright to switch the FF number for me over the telephone "because it is an award booking", which is complete nonsense).
Hmm, is it nonsense though? You made the reservation with your BAEC account with points earned on that account. I can see it being OK if you then change it back, but what if you leave it as CX? And if you change it back will you lose the seat reservations?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Received my Marco Polo app today yay

Anyone able to answer my earlier question regarding Aer Lingus flights that are BA codeshare i.e. will Aer Lingus give lounge access when using a CX gold card or will they only recognise BA silver cards?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:22 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
FWIW, I contacted Amex by email yesterday with the "my colleague got this offer. Am I entitled?" angle and today got this response:

Originally Posted by Amex customer services
You are entitled to Marco Polo Gold membership, I have today posted the application form to you. Please return the form in the envelope provided, once this is received you will receive the membership within 4 weeks.
^
Old Aug 5, 2011, 2:12 pm

I contacted Amex by e-mail for this and got a reply telling me to contact Cathay Pacific direct!!

I then phoned CS who have subsequently e-mailed me the application form, excellent^
Old Aug 5, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
My wife and I both hold platinum cards, but on one account as Amex. Should we both be able to apply or just the primary card holder?
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by rupert_s
My wife and I both hold platinum cards, but on one account as Amex. Should we both be able to apply or just the primary card holder?
I have similar thoughts. I don't need CX status but my wife does, as her BA status has lapsed during her maternity leave.

Does the envelope get posted to Cathay or Amex? If its Cathay, they may not double check the name with Amex.

Alternatively, I may get the form now (in case this is a limited time offer) and get her a Platinum card in her own right in a few months, bank the referral points, get the Cathay card and then cancel her Plat. Even if we don't cancel her card whilst the CX status is valid, it is still just £300 for 64,000 MR points between us plus a year of lounge access.
Old Aug 6, 2011, 3:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Only the primary card holder will receive an invitation to apply. The envelope gets posted to Amex, as usual with these kind of offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.