Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cabin crew union reaches agreement with BA

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Gold, SQ Gold, Jet Airways Gold, BA Silver, Qatar Silver, Starwood Lifetime Gold
Cabin crew union reaches agreement with BA

Full article at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...ute-offer.html

Fair use:

"A mass meeting of BA cabin crew endorsed an agreement between the British Airlines Stewards and Stewardesses Association.

The deal will now be put to the BASSA membership, which currently numbers around 10,500 in a consultative ballot, with results expected in June.

Negotiations between the airline and BASSA are believed to have been smoother since Keith Williams took over as BAs chief executive in succession to the rather more abrasive Willie Walsh.

[The leader of Unite, Len McCluskey] also paid tribute to Mr Walsh's successor Mr Williams saying 'I found him a genuine and honest man.' "
Old May 12, 2011, 7:02 am
G*G

I fly BA a lot - and in some aspects like it somewhat better sometimes than some other carriers. That is not to say I think there is any justification for the sheer muppetry displayed by a large amount of cabin crew and their union representatives over the last couple of years. It certainly hasn't made me want to fly BA more - or like BA more - as much as I'll still do some of my flying BA, and continue to enjoy elements of it.

It may be the BA board but it's an open forum and there is every justification for criticism towards how this has been handled by crew/union. BA board or not - some people here need to give the endless BA patriotism a rest sometimes and let people speak their mind without getting their knickers in a twist. I for one, am not a huge fan of the constant ridiculing of some comments that are BA critical - or the posters that provide them. Makes me wonder if all the free liquid in the lounges is actually good for you...
Old May 12, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
No more strike threats ^

Soon better food in CW ^

The Cloud is working ^

Pods working ^

T5C opened ^

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpR4qt8joxc
Old May 12, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Originally Posted by Lobengula
No more strike threats ^
^
Old May 12, 2011, 7:25 am
Suspended

Flying BA

Originally Posted by G*G
I fly BA a lot - and in some aspects like it somewhat better sometimes than some other carriers. That is not to say I think there is any justification for the sheer muppetry displayed by a large amount of cabin crew and their union representatives over the last couple of years. It certainly hasn't made me want to fly BA more - or like BA more - as much as I'll still do some of my flying BA, and continue to enjoy elements of it.

It may be the BA board but it's an open forum and there is every justification for criticism towards how this has been handled by crew/union. BA board or not - some people here need to give the endless BA patriotism a rest sometimes and let people speak their mind without getting their knickers in a twist. I for one, am not a huge fan of the constant ridiculing of some comments that are BA critical - or the posters that provide them. Makes me wonder if all the free liquid in the lounges is actually good for you...
I have no objection to anyone flying BA; it is not for me. Too much of the old British union mentality there for me. That last multi-day strike drove me to other carriers.

No free liquid in those lounges. There are no free lunches or drinks. We pay via tickets or membership.
Old May 12, 2011, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by G*G
BA board or not - some people here need to give the endless BA patriotism a rest sometimes and let people speak their mind without getting their knickers in a twist..
Indeed...although you have to allow the so called "BA apologists" the right to reply as well.
Some folk just come on here to slag the airline because it's British. One poster in particular who had never even flown BA used to appear regularly and moan, moan, moan about BA.
A search of his posting history revealed further moans about Britain.....LHR...the weather, taxi drivers,food and even the Scottish tourist board because he didn't spot Nessie.
Old May 12, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
That last multi-day strike drove me to other carriers.
But not to other forums
Old May 12, 2011, 8:02 am

Yay, pending ash clouds, snow in the summer and other natural disasters my flights are secure!
Old May 12, 2011, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I have great confidence in BA. I booked AMS-JFK followed by JFK-HKG on CX on a seperate ticket. This will all happen on - tada! - December 24th. 5 hour layover... I am sure BAA can deal with any snow this year...

(yes, I am reassuring myself)
Old May 12, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
My wife and I flew during the strike action last year in early June. ATL to LHR to ARN. Then ARN to LHR, and ten days later, back home. We were only slightly affected (the ARN to LHR flight was changed to one a couple hours later), but the uncertainty leading up to the time was not ideal.

We have the exact same itinerary starting later this month, and are very happy to have this issue resolved.

^^^
Old May 12, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henkybaby
I have great confidence in BA. I booked AMS-JFK followed by JFK-HKG on CX on a seperate ticket. This will all happen on - tada! - December 24th. 5 hour layover... I am sure BAA can deal with any snow this year...

(yes, I am reassuring myself)
Firstly the new management at both the Union and the airline appears, for now, to be working well. I think the Union is better placed to make the changes more than the the airline which has always tried and been very open to the problems that it faces.

The snow will be different to the snow we had last year. So BAA will have a better understanding of that kind of snow. Any other type of weather, well we shall see.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
I have no objection to anyone flying BA; it is not for me.
Thank you so much.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:27 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As a rule I'm not an union supporter, and certainly not a BASSA fan (who appear to be from the dinosaur school of industrial relations). That said, there is a huge amount of guff spouted on here by certain people who, given how much they whine about minor service issues, would have a crap fit if their terms and conditions were impacted anywhere near the level BA staff have seen over the last decade. Do as I say, not as I do etc.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As a rule I'm not an union supporter, and certainly not a BASSA fan (who appear to be from the dinosaur school of industrial relations). That said, there is a huge amount of guff spouted on here by certain people who, given how much they whine about minor service issues, would have a crap fit if their terms and conditions were impacted anywhere near the level BA staff have seen over the last decade. Do as I say, not as I do etc.
^

Just read a fantastic book that anyone with a passing interest in the BA IR debacle over the last 2 years MUST read.

Written by a Captain that was sacked by Cathay Pacific, along with 50-odd other pilots, in 2001 - The 49ers, by John Warham.

Wherever your sympathies lie, it's a riveting read.
Old May 12, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: SK*G, FB Plat, BA-GGL
Originally Posted by Lobengula
The Cloud is working ^
Not today unfortunately. But the rest is: YAAAYYYYY!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.