Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First vs Club World

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

BA First vs Club World

I will be celebrating my 10 year anniversary this year and want to fly to London from TPA, MIA, or MCO. I will be taking advantage of the AMEX 40% mile bonus and wanted to know if it really is worth it to spend the extra miles and fly First instead of Club World. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:39 pm

Deffo First. Flew to MIA in F and was great. Cosy cabin on 747, excellent concorde room, great cabin crew. CW - youre just one of the masses- and it feels like it
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club,Skywards,Hilton Honours,Mariott Rewards,SPG
You would have to fly from MIA it is the only one listed which operates F.

In my opinion it is worth the extra miles.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
IMHO - certainly worth it if you are using miles rather than cash - especially for a celebration. Much quieter and more 'exclusive' than the comfortable but crowded feeling CW cabin.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:05 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
If you can get a UD seat, that is more exclusive and service tends to be better....But why not treat yourself...
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Worth it. Club is a pretty drab experience nowadays.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:51 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
A quick, dissenting opinion: no first-class cabin offered by an American-based airline has seats comparable with those BA offers in Club World. I certainly understand that CW probably pales in comparison with First and with business class on many other foreign-based airlines. On the other hand, no American-based airline has instituted the lie-flat seats found in CW. I certainly understand, however, that CW cabin service seems wildly inconsistent with a trend the last few years towards poorer service.

Of course, this is a special celebration and probably justifies a first-class experience, but it will also cost you an extra 72,000 points (converted by the 40% bonus to the 100,000 MR point difference between two seats in CW and 2 in First). You might want to look at this thread to see the conditions in CW:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lub-world.html

And then compare with this thread on BA First:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ies-first.html

In that way, you'll have a pretty good idea of the differences between these two classes and the first class/business class cabins American, Delta, United, et al. offer.

Congratulations, and no matter which class you choose, enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:53 pm

Agree with my esteemed colleague:

First:

Club:
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by gw76
CW - youre just one of the masses- and it feels like it
Wow, that sentence sums up how far removed this board can be from the vast majority of air passengers.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:14 pm

You obviously think otherwise....? Far removed ...but not necessarily wrong.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA, UA
When travelling with a significant other, and particularly if celebrating a special event, go F. Oh, and if you're lucky enough to get NF..... - although I'm still waiting for my first experience of it.

After the first time we flew CW (admittedly old CW) after flying F, my missus reacted by saying - "Ooh, I don't like this. Bit cramped, isn't it?"
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:19 pm

You obviously think otherwise....? Far removed ...but not necessarily wrong.
I don't think flying in CW would be regarded as "being one of the masses" by the vast majority of BA's passengers. What you said was not wrong or right, but reminded me that the opinions aired on here, even if widely accepted, do not necessarily represent the opinions of the larger group of BA customers.

Last edited by Paralytic; Mar 1, 2011 at 4:27 pm
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:22 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Funster
CW [...] after flying F [...] "Ooh, I don't like this. Bit cramped, isn't it?"
Isn't this precisely why it's best NOT to let significant others acquire a taste for F? Too late here, unfortunately .
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Paralytic
I don't think flying in CW would be regarded as being one of the masses by the vast majority of BA's passengers.
Sleep easy- this is a personal interpretation as I thankfully couldnt possibly comment on the views of the "vast majority of BA's passengers". But youre right, the majority on here, going by the answers above, would appear to be in agreement.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 4:46 pm

Sleep easy- this is a personal interpretation as I thankfully couldnt possibly comment on the views of the "vast majority of BA's passengers".
Me neither, hence my qualification.

But youre right, the majority on here, going by the answers above, would appear to be in agreement.
I think you're confusing general agreement that the OP should choose First over CW with agreement to your statement that in CW "youre just being one of the masses".

But, if that is what people think, then it kind of backs-up my comment.

Do you think the a significant number of BA passengers think that flying in CW is "being one of the masses"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.