Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Club, Priority Club Club
Fuel Surcharge Increase from 8th Feb.

Originally Posted by IAG shares
Fuel Surcharge Increase
RNS Number : 7253A
International Cons Airlines Group
04 February 2011

FUEL SURCHARGE INCREASE

British Airways will increase its fuel surcharge on longhaul services from Tuesday, February 8.

There will be no fuel surcharge increase to any British Airways' shorthaul services.

World Traveller and World Traveller Plus tickets will increase by £12 per sector (£24 return).

First and Club World tickets will increase by £17 per sector (£34 return).

The move reflects the continuing substantial increase in the price of oil and a 14 per cent rise in the spot price of jet fuel since our last fuel surcharge increase in December 2010.

The change will mean:

· For World Traveller flights over nine hours an increase from £76 a sector to £88. On flights of less than nine hours an increase from £63 a sector to £75.

· For World Traveller Plus flights over nine hours an increase from £94.50 a sector to £106.50. On flights of less than nine hours an increase from £73 per sector to £85.

· For First and Club World flights over nine hours an increase from £108 per sector to £125. On flights of less than nine hours an increase from £88 per sector to £105.
http://www.iagshares.com/phoenix.zht...818&highlight=

Taking advantage of the unrest in Egypt and fuel price spike it seems.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold
If only BA knew how to hedge properly its oil contracts

H
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:42 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thumbs down

Very poor. If they want to increase the fares, increase the fares.

Fuel surcharges need outlawed.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by andset1191

Agree!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Silver, HHonours Silver
International Cons Airlines Group
What an unfortunate yet appropriate abbreviation.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Petroleum Club, HH Gold, A-Club Platinum
Thumbs down

Will Iberia increase the surcharge?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen

+1

Couldn't agree more.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:48 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold

Is really beyond a joke now. Con and Spiv's are words that spring to mind

Although on the upside, if they were outlawrd I bet we would see a big increase in the number of redemption miles required. So there is an upside - 100k miles and £450 charges and taxes or so for a CW seat to the US is still a resonable deal I suppose......
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:49 am

How many decreases in the fuel surcharge did we see from BA when prices went from 140 to 40 a barrel over the past few years?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Petrus
How many decreases in the fuel surcharge did we see from BA when prices went from 140 to 40 a barrel over the past few years?
Can I phone a friend ?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by airbus_7005
What an unfortunate yet appropriate abbreviation.
^

Originally Posted by E14 26C
Can I phone a friend ?
Sorry, only ask the audience.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:58 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Petrus
Ah yes, it should have been eliminated when it went down to $40 per barrel at the start of 2009. That was about the rate it was introduced IIRC.

It is a truly great con. Means airlines can set an effective "base" fare of the surcharge...and discounts for corporate rates are not off this initial surcharge but a smaller "fare" amount. Redemptions also pay the surcharge off course - quite brilliant really.

And the question is always if it is a true "surcharge", the base oil PB rate at which it applies from should be periodically reviewed and the base fare adjusted accordingly. So over the last 12 months the oil PB has been $75-$80, that rate factored into the base fare and a surcharge applied from this new base rate. But they don't - so I say it is a con not a surcharge
Old Feb 4, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Hoch
If only BA knew how to hedge properly its oil contracts
Well, how well does your crystal ball work?

It's not the same as filling up a car and paying a few pence/cents extra every week for 15 gallons - it's filling up a thirsty fleet of aircraft every day with thousands of gallons - and trying to predict the price in six months, a year, two years...

Lock in a contract for a price per gallon that's higher than it is currently and you still have to pay that price even if the actual price has dropped or stayed static. Not something I'd want to have to make the decision on!
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I have no objection to be honest as I do not make straight redemptions and I do not expect there to be any real impact on WT+ sale fares that I might MFU from other than fare increases that would happen anyway.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I have no objection to be honest as I do not make straight redemptions and I do not expect there to be any real impact on WT+ sale fares that I might MFU from other than fare increases that would happen anyway.
How about a little solidarity?

By now one can easily argue that at least 50% of the current surcharge should be part of the ticket price. Unless BA seriously expects a time that the surcharge will be 0.00 again it is fraud.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.