Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

25% extra points when transferring from hotel partner [~£350 for 31,250 BA Miles]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25% extra points when transferring from hotel partner [~£350 for 31,250 BA Miles]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
Is it still the case that reward flights booked with SPG points book into 'paid' (rather than reward) fare classes, and receive TPs / BA Miles?

If so, I think I'd rather save up the SPG points for that...
Yes i would guess it is still the case as per other schemes(AIRMILES) which do the same.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Yes i would guess it is still the case as per other schemes(AIRMILES) which do the same.
Availability of seats aside, unless you redeem for lots of very low-cost flights (commonly accepted as blasphemous), it is unlikely SPG will be better value than the double bonus here. You're looking at exceptionally bad value if you plan to redeem for premium fares.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Originally Posted by Coolers
Availability of seats aside, unless you redeem for lots of very low-cost flights (commonly accepted as blasphemous), it is unlikely SPG will be better value than the double bonus here. You're looking at exceptionally bad value if you plan to redeem for premium fares.
It depends how badly you need the TPs...
Old Nov 26, 2010, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
The 20% bonus works for Amex membership rewards too. The normal ratio in Germany would be 4:5. I cashed in 15k points and got 14.4k miles (80% of the points in miles plus 20%)
Old Nov 26, 2010, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The 20% bonus works for Amex membership rewards too. The normal ratio in Germany would be 4:5. I cashed in 15k points and got 14.4k miles (80% of the points in miles plus 20%)
Something else must be happening there. There is a 20% discount on SPG points, and a 25% bonus on hotel points converted to BA miles.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Rom Sac
Does anyone happen to know if this bonus is applicable to Marriott Rewards travel packages?

I contacted Marriott with this exact question, and got this response :

"Thank you for contacting Marriott.

I contacted British Airways, and it is a promotion that their company is currently doing until December 31st, not Marriott. When you exchange your hotel points you will receive 25% extra British Airways miles. This will come directly from British Airways, not Marriott.

We unfortunately do not have the terms and conditions of this promotion.I would advise to contact British Airways for additional information."

So if anybody tries it let us know whether it works !
Old Nov 27, 2010, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Silver
Deleted
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
If I do an SPG "Nights and Flights" redemption, will the mileage portion receive the 25% bonus when sent to BA?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:54 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by JumboJ
If I do an SPG "Nights and Flights" redemption, will the mileage portion receive the 25% bonus when sent to BA?
Yes, BA just add 25% to whatever SPG sends them. In this case 50k + the 25% bonus.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:22 am
uk1
Suspended

Hi,

Do purchased SPG points appear immediately in the SPG account please?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by uk1
Hi,

Do purchased SPG points appear immediately in the SPG account please?
I bought some yesterday to top off my account for a Sheraton booking - yes, they appeared immediately.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:53 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by JeffBHD
I bought some yesterday to top off my account for a Sheraton booking - yes, they appeared immediately.
Thanks!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xenole
Was looking at this for my 42,000 goldpoints (Radisson) but probably not worth it for 5250 BA miles + 25%. That said, when I looked at reward nights in NYC recently, still needed over 35,000 for one of those!
I only have 24,000 Goldpoints and was thinking of just transferring them into BA miles. More just to get rid of them than for any great deal. They are pretty useless to me as I doubt if I will earn more and using them for a cash and points night is a total waste with the friends and family discount rate that's kicking about.

Anyway....for those who are buying Starpoints to transfer - I take it you are only going to be using the miles for MFU purposes? For straight redemptions BA miles can be bought cheaper using the miles and cash route.....if I've done my sums right that is.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 2:02 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Anyway....for those who are buying Starpoints to transfer - I take it you are only going to be using the miles for MFU purposes? For straight redemptions BA miles can be bought cheaper using the miles and cash route.....if I've done my sums right that is.
Miles plus cash isn't an option for me as in my case the combination of the 241 and a tantalisingly close miles balance for 2 x F down to Ozland was what has swung it. I have a current voucher which I'll now dump and trigger the next one in a couple of months. I was rather let down by the lack of 50% redemption sales ...... I was patient but it didn't happen!

Long planning horizon (naturally) but it's well worth the of the SPG points purchase.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
I only have 24,000 Goldpoints and was thinking of just transferring them into BA miles. More just to get rid of them than for any great deal. They are pretty useless to me as I doubt if I will earn more and using them for a cash and points night is a total waste with the friends and family discount rate that's kicking about.
Cheapest points reward night for me is around 50,000 so would require another couple of nights for that. Was going to stay in Manchester in February but for £180 a night, all they had was a twin room. Booked a room at a Premier Inn instead for £29. That £150 saving will go towards other stays, 3-4 domestic flights (1500-2000 BA miles) or around 2/3rd of a tier point run to AMS or JER which will be more beneficial in the long run.

Most of the places I go to don't seem to have hotels that form part of certain groups. SPG don't have anything in Manchester for example so limit me to say the Radisson or Hilton should I want points and as already said, sometimes the cost isn't beneficial to the rewards.

The 5000+ miles I'll get if I convert my 42000 points isn't much so I will keep them for the time being. I can easily get a cheap economy flight to NYC and gain almost that many miles (same cost as a Feb Thurs night in the Hilton in Manchester!). More scope for miles etc with a greater range of hotel chains and tier point runs as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.