Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

25% extra points when transferring from hotel partner [~£350 for 31,250 BA Miles]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25% extra points when transferring from hotel partner [~£350 for 31,250 BA Miles]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
My 31,250 from SPG just posted
Old Nov 9, 2010, 2:18 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
G-BOAC got there before me. My 62,500 miles just posted.

A great deal for 40,000 points (i.e. one night in an upmarket SPG hotel).

As an aside, I had been wondering even before this promotion why anyone would book SPG hotels on points as opposed to transferring to airmiles.

Unfortunately the 40K miles I was hoping for from BA AMEX this month has turned into -11k (as expected). There's definitely no silver lining in the cloud to having an incompetent corporate travel agent which results in each flight being booked and rebooked a few times before they get it right.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As an aside, I had been wondering even before this promotion why anyone would book SPG hotels on points as opposed to transferring to airmiles.
Swings and roundabouts, though. If you haven't got much cash, then redeeming for hotel nights (to go with your reward flights) is obviously worthwhile even if the comparison doesn't work.

For other hotel chains it is less clear cut. 1 night in the best Hiltons is 50k points which is only 5000 miles, I think - take the hotel. 1 night in the best InterConti is 40k points or 8000 miles - I'd take the hotel in most big cities (and I'd certainly take a Crowne Plaza night for 25k points rather than 5000 BA Miles).

Marriott is less attractive. I got 30,000 points from a long stay in a Ritz-Carlton over half-term, and I can convert that into 10k BA (12.5k with this promo) or 1 night in a mid-tier Marriott. I think I'll take the miles.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:03 am

You can get 5* SPG properties(in cities) for as little as 12k miles.

Plus a full points redemption is not seen as the best value, a cash and points booking is more popular. I value BA miles quite highly(MFU's and F 2-4-1's) although i am likely to hold on to my SPG points despite the appealing exchange rate.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by dave209
I've never flown BA, I use my miles for CX for Bus. and first class tickets to Bali. I like the fact that I'm able to book directly online through BA website and for some reason the same ticket cost less miles than a CX ticket using AA miles. Business Class to Bali (DPS) with BA miles 100,000 with AA Miles 110,000. FYI last time I checked was a year ago.
agree, seems like a pretty cheap cost for a J ticket on CX to go to the far east wtih two stop overs. me thinks my child and my wife will be buying me some SPG miles....this along with the 50% avion to BA promo will net me 2 J CX tix for sure.....

added Q...

for the experts, it should not be an issue for my wife and child to each purchase 20K along with my purchase of 20K and the have each of my wife and child transfer to my account such 20K....since we are all at the same address...correct. i can then transfer into my BA account...no HHA since my miles are used for many outside of the HHA.

Last edited by mkjr; Nov 9, 2010 at 7:28 am
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
Great Value for Me!

Received my 93,750 miles today from my 60,000 SPG points transfer. Really good value for my use on booking tickets on CX. Even though AA requires less miles for first on CX, with the BA credit card from Chase that offers 1.25 miles for everyday spending (which I use for places that do not accept AMEX), all Chase's other frequent promotions, not to mention this promotion make this a great value for me. I wish I could do the Chase 100,0000 BA bonus miles promotion all over again. ^^^
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:35 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
Swings and roundabouts, though. If you haven't got much cash, then redeeming for hotel nights (to go with your reward flights) is obviously worthwhile even if the comparison doesn't work.

For other hotel chains it is less clear cut.
Yes, that's fair - and point taken that I maybe wasn't seeing SPG points at their highest value.

I use Hilton points for hotel stays because the exchange rate to BA points is so poor - and even with the devaluation, their multi-stay deal for elites isn't that bad value. The same goes for Hyatt for me, although I only use my points for Park Hyatt reservations: 22K points for one night are worth only 9-11K miles.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
For other hotel chains it is less clear cut. 1 night in the best Hiltons is 50k points which is only 5000 miles, I think - take the hotel.
please elaborate.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by jmw2323
please elaborate.
50k Hilton can be transfered to 5000 BA Miles, which is worth less than £100 even if you buy them at ba.com, and in reality is only worth £40 of free flights (£80 with a 2-4-1). Given the choice of that or a free night at a top level Hilton (New York, Paris, London) you'd be crazy not to take the hotel.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
50k Hilton can be transfered to 5000 BA Miles, which is worth less than £100 even if you buy them at ba.com, and in reality is only worth £40 of free flights (£80 with a 2-4-1). Given the choice of that or a free night at a top level Hilton (New York, Paris, London) you'd be crazy not to take the hotel.
got it. read it as 5000 BA miles for a 50k hilton stay.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:40 pm

It's a good deal if you need the miles. If you don't, it is not so great that it is worth doing because it would be daft not to (which is the category some Tesco deals fall into). I won't be doing anything with this one for the latter reason.
Just happened across this thread and I glad I have.

I'd broadly agree with Raffles on this, but it's horses for courses. If you have the sort of life that allows you to buy during J sales well in advance and know for sure that you'll be able to use heavily discounted, non-flex non-refundable tickets, then you'd be advised to go that route where you can.

However, though I'm a Gold, flying a lot and have a whopping BA balance, I'm certainly going to have some of this. That's because I'm self-employed. When I'm booking leisure travel for myself I do it with miles so I know that I can always cancel if my plans change. Any source of miles around the 1.2p per mile mark works well for me.

YMMV, as they say.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by knifeandfork
I'd broadly agree with Raffles on this, but it's horses for courses. If you have the sort of life that allows you to buy during J sales well in advance and know for sure that you'll be able to use heavily discounted, non-flex non-refundable tickets, then you'd be advised to go that route where you can.

However, though I'm a Gold, flying a lot and have a whopping BA balance, I'm certainly going to have some of this. That's because I'm self-employed. When I'm booking leisure travel for myself I do it with miles so I know that I can always cancel if my plans change. Any source of miles around the 1.2p per mile mark works well for me.

YMMV, as they say.
Good point.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Is it still the case that reward flights booked with SPG points book into 'paid' (rather than reward) fare classes, and receive TPs / BA Miles?

If so, I think I'd rather save up the SPG points for that...
Old Nov 22, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
Does anyone happen to know if this bonus is applicable to Marriott Rewards travel packages?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Was looking at this for my 42,000 goldpoints (Radisson) but probably not worth it for 5250 BA miles + 25%. That said, when I looked at reward nights in NYC recently, still needed over 35,000 for one of those!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.