Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Price of upgrade to [Club] World

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Price of upgrade to [Club] World

Has anyone checked the cost of round trip to BCN lately? I have been watching the availability of upgrades to World, and as of two weeks ago the prices have jumped sky high. On 9/25 the cost from PHX, DFW, IAH to BCN was approx. $4448 + miles. On 9/26 until today the cost is $11,079 from the same places. That is more than buying a Club World ticket outright. I have spoken with BA two times and they assure me that the pricing is in the $4448 and that they will correct the "public" computers. So far, nothing.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
When you say upgrades, do you mean the cash upgrades offered in MMB? This varies depending on the lowest available Club World class.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:40 am
Original Poster

I am simply referring to the fact that we want to purchase Traveller's Plus tickets (with money) and upgrade to Club World with miles. The price has escalated dramatically to the point that it is more expensive to do this than to purchase CW tickets outright. I have seen other threads stating this also. However, yesterday, I discovered that to purchase CW tickets outright has gone up approx. $5000 in two weeks. Surely, this cannot be right.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
I think it may be something to do with the computer system as I was looking for flights the other day, SFO to CDG purchasing WT+ and upgrading to Biz using points and on some days it would be $2k + 25k points, on others the flight itself was coming up as being over $11k in WT plus points.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Toula
I think it may be something to do with the computer system ...
I hope so.

I was looking the other day at an MFU (something like YYZ-LHR) and it priced out as 25K + $6600 +. Inasmuch as that's a lot more than the cash price of the ticket, I assumed it was a computer glitch.

Or maybe not ....
Old Oct 15, 2010, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by bassmomma
Has anyone checked the cost of round trip to BCN lately? I have been watching the availability of upgrades to World.
World..?
Old Oct 15, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, IHG One Rewards, Melia Rewards
Originally Posted by clubman
World..?
Stop being pedantic. You know too well the OP means CW
Old Oct 15, 2010, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bassmomma
I am simply referring to the fact that we want to purchase Traveller's Plus tickets (with money) and upgrade to Club World with miles. The price has escalated dramatically to the point that it is more expensive to do this than to purchase CW tickets outright. I have seen other threads stating this also. However, yesterday, I discovered that to purchase CW tickets outright has gone up approx. $5000 in two weeks. Surely, this cannot be right.
I think that it could in theory be entirely right.

You have to buy a World Traveller Plus ticket and then upgrade to Club. But the most expensive WT+ tickets can be more expensive than the cheapest Club tickets. So if you are upgrading from WT+ to Club with miles and the cash element is being priced on the basis of the most expensive WT+ ticket, in theory you could well be paying more cash than you would pay for a Club ticket.

So, for an illustration, PHX-LHR-BCN and return in February is about $2,100 on the cheapest WT+ ticket, $5,500 on the most expensive WT+ ticket, and $3,300 on the cheapest Club ticket.

So if you were to upgrade with miles from the $5,500 WT+ ticket, you would be paying much more than you'd pay for the cheapest Club ticket. But you would be getting a much more flexible ticket than the cheapest Club ticket.

I can't reconcile these numbers to the ones you give, because you should be able to upgrade with BA Miles from the $2,100 ticket. You'll pay fractionally more than that, plus the miles. So I don't know where your $4,448 figure comes from, nor your $11,079 figure. No WT+ should cost as much as $11,079, even if you are upgrading it with miles. Something is wrong there.

As others say, if the BA website is returning a ticket price is based on the most expensive WT+ fare when you know that there is availability for the lowest WT+ fare, then it's a ba.com bug. Simple solution: just book your ticket on the phone if the agents can see the availability at the lower price.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 2:06 am

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I can't reconcile these numbers to the ones you give, because you should be able to upgrade with BA Miles from the $2,100 ticket. You'll pay fractionally more than that, plus the miles. So I don't know where your $4,448 figure comes from, nor your $11,079 figure. No WT+ should cost as much as $11,079, even if you are upgrading it with miles. Something is wrong there.
I think the OP is looking at the price of two tickets. If you double your figures of $2100 and $5500 you get approx what the OP is quoting.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Ah, I see.

We are supposed to read minds as well as help with air travel?
Old Oct 16, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: BA, SAA and HHonors Pleb
Come now Globaliser, it's called multi-tasking!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.