Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Premier - when do I get it or how long is a piece of string)??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Prem, SQ LT PPS

I've recently been wondering if I will get upgraded to this level of the EC. Since I joined the EC earlier this year, I've flown around 120 sectors, all of varying length and quickly gained Gold status.

I'm spending quite a bit with BA and asked about the Premier thing and was told I just needed to 'keep flying and be patient'

Does anybody here know how this works or indeed if there are any rules at all?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
When you say 'spending quite a bit' how much is 'a bit'? £1m + per year?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: Mixed Fleet CSM
Hello

Firstly "Premier" is not a tier of BAEC. It is an "invitation only" status to those folk who are either deemed "celeb" enough or bring millions of business to BA through a company account etc.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
120 sectors, so about a return a week? Many many people do this and will never hit Prem.

Unless you control a very large travel budget for a company you will probably never get there. It isn't an EC level as such.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

I have no idea. I could find out if you give me a day or 2.

Thinking about it I would say somewhere between £100k and £150k I would guess but that really is only a guess
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by thedoctor

Thinking about it I would say somewhere between £100k and £150k I would guess but that really is only a guess
Premier level is invitation only and as such is not "earned" by flying.

If you're in charge of a travel budget which brings BA in excess of £1m a year then there may be chance. Otherwise, I'm afraid not.

Most Premier members have their status given to them as a result of their company's annual spend with BA. Very few celebs have Premier status - most Prems are business people
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)

I know two Prems outside of FT and one got theirs through having their business easily spend £1m+ with BA (and they personally spent a fair whack too), the other was a FOCM so I suspect they aren't a Prem any more. I know someone else who did not get invited despite controlling at the time, a large percentage of BA shares. I suggested they should threaten to sell them off and potentially cause a nose dive in the share price to see if that made any difference . My suggestion was politely declined .
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:00 pm

Multiply that by 10 and you may get an invite

Seriously don't worry about it, you should be GGL now anyway if your sectors I good ones probabaly a CCR card holder also
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by CT-UK
Seriously don't worry about it, you should be GGL now anyway if your sectors I good ones probabaly a CCR card holder also
Err, doesn't GGL require two consecutive high-TP years?
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:27 pm

[QUOTE=LeisureFirst;14810212]Err, doesn't GGL require two consecutive high-TP years?[/QUOTE
Nope, pretty sure it is 2 years at x level or 1 year at a higher TP threshold
Old Sep 27, 2010, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you put down 20K TP's for at least 2 years and leveraged all your contacts in BA you might have a chance. Otherwise, enjoy GGL and the CCR card.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice / experience.

I've worked out I'm averaging between 6 and 8 sectors per week depending on work.

I wish there was some clarity with this as it seems a bit unfair I could fly more over the next 5 years than many Premier members (if I keep travelling at the same rate).

On the other hand, it seems fair you get Premier status if you control the travel policy of a large company, spending a fortune with BA.

Finally, I can tell you another thing, I'll be very happy when I get to the day when I never see the interior of another aeroplane again or indeed another airport terminal.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
On the other hand, it seems fair you get Premier status if you control the travel policy of a large company, spending a fortune with BA.

Finally, I can tell you another thing, I'll be very happy when I get to the day when I never see the interior of another aeroplane again or indeed another airport terminal.
You have it backwards! Premiers aren't Prem because they fly a lot, but because they control a large amount of money being directed towards BA (or they otherwise are of great value for BA). Golds are Gold because they fly a lot (sometimes too much). They may spend a lot of their company's money on BA travel, but that doesn't mean they call the shots. There are plenty of Golds living on aeroplanes, but they will never get near Premier. The bosses of their travel department, on the other hand...

There should be a sticky: "Premier: Do I qualify? No."
Old Sep 27, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA gold
If you want to help your chances of Premier status, you can buy me lots and lots of F-class flights for the next few years
Old Sep 27, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The Op talks about sectors rather than Tier Points. BA does work on TPs. The only time that sectors come into play is 50 sectors to attain Silver. 50 sectors at discounted ET/Domestic would give 50 x 5 Tps = 250 TPs. It would normally take 600 TPs to achieve Silver.

A lot also depends on ticket type (flexible premium versus discounted economy). Suspect the Op may not have picked up the secretive CIV scores where I think this comes into play along with status and TPs.

The objective here is to aim for a Concorde Room Card at 5000 TPs before thinking about Premier status or having moan that there is nothing else to motivate spending with BA during the membership year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.