Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First class afternoon tea inspired by Dorchester Hotel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold

The BA website describes the afternoon tea served in First class as being:

"Indulge in our sumptuous Afternoon Tea, a First signature dish, for which we took inspiration from one of London's most luxurious and iconic hotels, The Dorchester, to honour this British ritual and tradition."

Has anyone been to afternoon tea at the Dorchester (I haven't) and can confirm that the two experiences of afternoon tea in First class on BA vs afternoon tea at the Dorchester are somewhat approximate.
Old May 3, 2010, 8:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MOR

"Indulge in our sumptuous Afternoon Tea, a First signature dish, for which we took inspiration from one of London's most luxurious and iconic hotels, The Dorchester, to honour this British ritual and tradition."

Has anyone been to afternoon tea at the Dorchester (I haven't) and can confirm that the two experiences of afternoon tea in First class on BA vs afternoon tea at the Dorchester are somewhat approximate.
You don't actually believe all that blurb do you?
Old May 3, 2010, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by MOR

That's like comparing the menu description to what is actually served for dinner onboard.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A consistent observation across several threads, isn't it!

The publicity hype v. the actual product.

I've known many women like that - promise much, but deliver very little.

If BA Catering was a woman, she'd be an ageing spinster by now.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by T8191

If BA Catering was a woman, she'd be an ageing spinster by now.
More like a cross-dressing man, IMO.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by macabus
More like a cross-dressing man, IMO.
I couldn't possibly comment
Old May 3, 2010, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate afternoon tea - an irrelevant ritual for tourists and scary suburban people from Kent. Why can't we have a proper meal instead?
Old May 3, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I hate afternoon tea - an irrelevant ritual for tourists and scary suburban people from Kent. Why can't we have a proper meal instead?
^^^
Old May 3, 2010, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OMG ... and you are the BAEC Mod? Do you have shares in MaccyD or some similar urban offence?
Old May 3, 2010, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OMG ... and you are the BAEC Mod? Do you have shares in MaccyD or some similar urban offence?
Not at all. I like a good meal - my waistline testifies to that - but prissy little sandwiches, a bit of cake and a couple of scones are not a proper meal. Especially not at the end of a 10hour plane flight.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not at all. I like a good meal - my waistline testifies to that - but prissy little sandwiches, a bit of cake and a couple of scones are not a proper meal. Especially not at the end of a 10hour plane flight.
You slept through the main meal, obviously.
Old May 3, 2010, 11:59 am

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Originally Posted by MOR

I was at The Dorch 2 weeks ago and whilst I did not partake, I did see what was being served. A few days later I DID partake in afternoon tea in First en route home to YVR. Without any slight to my wonderful CC member, the only similarity was that both places served the tea in a cup with a saucer. Whoever at BA signed off on this piece of marketing blurb should be questioned about his/her decision because it is plain and simple misrepresentation. And whilst I'm on a rant, what happened to the pre flight nuts on board??? Have they been enhanced away too?
Old May 3, 2010, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I like a good meal ... but prissy little sandwiches, a bit of cake and a couple of scones are not a proper meal
Agreed. ^

The afternoon tea nonsense gets in the way of a proper meal.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fat Barstewards!
On the average TATL I get offered more food than I normally eat in 36 hours!

However, we seem to have a agreement that the marketing people at BA need a few reality pills. Bullsh!t might sell the occasional ticket, but it doesn't generate a revenue stream once people have seen what the reality represents.
Old May 3, 2010, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

However, we seem to have a agreement that the marketing people at BA need a few reality pills.
Not just BA.....every company in the planet portrays themselves to be better than they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.