Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection on mixed booking

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Seat selection on mixed booking

Can't seem to find a clear answer on this in the various threads on the subject. If one makes a mixed booking (miles) in F and J, does the free seat selection for the outbound in F also allow me to select seats (without paying) for the return in J? I am assuming this is for someone who will have Silver at time of booking - but perhaps be down to Blue at time of travel.

Edited to add that I am asking this because the higher baggage allowance for a mixed booking does carry through.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:38 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
No, it doesn't.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
No to back up what Teece said I have a mixed class booking in F & J and I have the opportunity to pay for the J seating. F is currently looking full in Row 2
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks Teece and Jimmy76.

Supplementary question (slightly OT) if I want to pay for J and then go online and change the date of the return... once I have paid for seat selection.... do I have to pay again?

And finally, how simple/easy is it to change dates now? I have not done it online for years.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 5:53 am

No, you can change your seat free of charge if you change your flights. Changing your booking online is very straight-forward.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Blue
On the last booking I made for Mrs DMF and I, a MFU booking, I was a Silver cardholder and this allowed us to select seats on all flights even though we were returning on different flights/dates.
Before we took the flights I dropped back to Blue, sob sob, but our seat assignments remained in the booking. I did not try and change them as I was sure this would lead to loss of the seating assignments.

So if you are Silver now you could assign seats for the return J flight and if your experience is the same as mine they would remain even after you have dropped to Blue, this will of course not work if you change the date of your return.

Hoping this will be helpful

DMF
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Teece
No, you can change your seat free of charge if you change your flights. Changing your booking online is very straight-forward.

Thanks, that is what I thought - but the BA website says this:

Changing your seat
  • If you change your flight after choosing a seat, you must contact us to reassign your seat.
  • Once booked, you cannot change your seat, except at check-in where available.
  • Seats cannot be purchased using BA Miles.
Refunds for paid seating are only available under certain circumstances. Please see the terms and conditions for more information.

But then in the Refunds section it says:

If, in accordance with your fare rules, you choose to move to a different flight, you will be entitled to choose an equivalent seat on your new flight. However if an equivalent seat is not available the additional amount paid will be forfeited and will not be refunded.

so 2 *

So if I undertsnd correctly I can move the flights... but would then have to call to get new seats that I had previously paid for.. but would not have to pay a new fee.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by BA or bust
So if I undertsnd correctly I can move the flights... but would then have to call to get new seats that I had previously paid for.. but would not have to pay a new fee.
I think that's it:
- change your booking
- call them to reserve a new seat equivalent to the old one at no extra cost
- if none is available, you don't get your 60 (or whatever) back.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Just to clarify.

Choosing J seats when silver, then dropping to blue, does not lose seat assignment. This includes Upper Deck, eg if you pick 62J when silver, you will still have 62J when Blue.

Changing booking will lose those chosen seats and you will not be able to select upper deck for 60 once changed to blue.

Flying in F does not give you free seat selection for the opposite leg in J.

Flying in F does give you the extra bag (plus a baggage weight of 32kg = 96kg of total allowable baggage!) when opposite leg is in J.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by globalste
Flying in F does give you the extra bag (plus a baggage weight of 32kg = 96kg of total allowable baggage!) when opposite leg is in J.
There's no difference in baggage allocation between F and J, be it pieces or weight.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Choosing J seats when silver, then dropping to blue, does not lose seat assignment. This includes Upper Deck, eg if you pick 62J when silver, you will still have 62J when Blue.
If you pick 62J then you deserve to lose you Silver card anyway.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: SK*G, BA Silver, Flying Blue, VLM, VT Traveller, PC Platinum, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Teece
There's no difference in baggage allocation between F and J, be it pieces or weight.
I always thought J was restricted to the 23kg allowance...
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
If you pick 62J then you deserve to lose you Silver card anyway.
one of the best seats in the house in my opinion. no annoying t*ssers kicking the footstool when you try and sleep.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:43 am

I always thought J was restricted to the 23kg allowance...
F, J & status pax all have the heavy bag charge waived:

Gold and Silver Executive Club members can carry two bags up to 32kg (BA will waive the heavy bag charge) in all cabins, on all routes, unless the cabin allowance is greater.
Notes:
*First, Club World and Club Europe passengers can take up to 32kg free of charge as British Airways will waive the heavy bag charge.
From: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...k/public/en_gb
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
no annoying t*ssers kicking the footstool when you try and sleep.
How so? I'm missing something here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.