Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OT: DYKWIA in 1A held us up for over an hour yesterday.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

No nothing to do with BA or any other airline but thought you might like this story. Apologies to the Mods in advance and feel free to demote it to a inferior forum.

We were in Buenos Aires yesterday and everything went well until we arrived at Retiro with plenty of time for our 16.10 departure on the General Belgrano First Class service back home with a ETA 19.35. We boarded around 1600 and settled into our comfortable seats after helping ourself to the complimentary coffee. Fifteen minutes passed and no sign of the half empty bus moving. Another five minutes passed and we were still in the bus station so the wife went downstairs to ask what the delay was.

She came back up her face filled with rage. Seemed the lady in 1A was refusing to allow the bus to move until they mended her faulty seat belt. She was asked to move to a empty seat with a fully functioning belt but refused to as she wanted to stay in 1A......
Fifteen minutes later we were told a replacement bus was being prepared but it would take at least half an hour to get there.
To get a good look at the lady I went downstairs and out for a smoke. There sat smugly in 1A was this spectacled old dear in her late sixties I would say.She gave me a quick look as I passed then went back to hiding her face in a magazine.
Tensions were rising and some of the passengers were ready for throwing the old dear off the bus. Extra staff were called to calm the irate passengers down and I thought it might not be long until the fully armed police would be arriving. The old dear didn't bat an eyelid at the kerfuffle that was going on around her though.
The minutes ticked by and thankfully the mood amongst the rowdy passengers had changed as they accepted that they were going to be late at arriving at their destinations. Eventually the replacement coach arrived and we all transferred....however the old dear complained that she still wasn't happy as the seat configuration was different and that she might not bother travelling after all.
She was told in no uncertain terms to either sit down or get off NOW.

We left just in time to encounter the Friday evening rush hour so more delay was encountered. Thankfully the rest of the journey past peacefully and we arrived home over an hour and a half late. Should I seek some compensation?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
Ouch. I didn't realise 1A was coveted on coaches.

I'm not sure what I would have done or said in your position!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:28 pm

Programs: BAEC, SAS EBS, Miles&More
Seat 1A on an Argentinian coach!!!!!! You mean she wanted to watch the badly dubbed US marine movie at full volume (or does that only happen in Salta)?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Seemed the lady in 1A was refusing to allow the bus to move until they mended her faulty seat belt. She was asked to move to a empty seat with a fully functioning belt but refused to as she wanted to stay in 1A......
She's probably been spending way too many hours reading Flyertalk...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Some Misunderstanding, Surely?

Hiddy, from your thread title I thought our esteemed FTer Rick aka DYKWIA was playing up and about to get a good hairbrushing from one who knows!!!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
I thought this was going to be about someone kicking off over lack of canapes.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: BA
I'm hoping that ElderlyArgentineanIn1A will come here and post her side of the story...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
spectacled old dear in her late sixties
Not your arch nemesis here on FT, surely?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
HIDDY, of course this has to be BA's fault, due to weather problems at LHR, so I suggest you write a strongly worded letter to BAEC expressing your concern over your treatment and the fact that a replacement vehicle wasn't immediately available. Must be worth, what, 50,000 miles for your obvious discomfort and delay?

Or not...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crystal_cad
I'm not sure what I would have done or said in your position!
I muttered some words in English to her which are not repeatable on here.

Originally Posted by koshka
Seat 1A on an Argentinian coach!!!!!! You mean she wanted to watch the badly dubbed US marine movie at full volume (or does that only happen in Salta)?
Ah I see you've been on one. The movie started just after Liniers. A car hit someone on a bicycle and the onlookers some covered in blood looked on horrified......the it stopped working - typical. No idea of the movie title but it looked promising for a change.

Originally Posted by MilesCollector
She's probably been spending way too many hours reading Flyertalk...

Originally Posted by antichef
Hiddy, from your thread title I thought our esteemed FTer Rick aka DYKWIA was playing up and about to get a good hairbrushing from one who knows!!!
Ah yes I could believe he could be trouble with a handle like that.

Originally Posted by David_Doyle
I thought this was going to be about someone kicking off over lack of canapes.
I dread to think what she'd be like on a plane.

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
I'm hoping that ElderlyArgentineanIn1A will come here and post her side of the story...
^
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
Not your arch nemesis here on FT, surely?
I said sixties not seventies.

Originally Posted by FenLandK
Or not...
I think not.......can't blame BA for this one.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
I said sixties not seventies.
Now who's set for a "hairbrushing"?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Sounds like she might have been a bit IDKWIA (I don't know who I am) to be so insensitive to other passengers!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:09 am

Upper Deck all the way...!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:59 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Priceless. I was really waiting for you to tell them all that it was me - as I am usually the Old Bird/Girl/Bag to which you refer. As I am in Snowdrift Surbiton - that would not be possible. (I'll be on reserve tomorrow - where will I end up (I mean destination not fate!)

At least I am spared the indignity of being accused of travelling on a Bus. I assume that as a pensioner you do not have to pay for this as in London?

What on earth does this story not being about flying let alone BA have to do with anything on this Forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.