Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA TR Glasgow to Amsterdam: A Tale of Two Pursers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Deleted

Last edited by FlyerTalker6245; May 23, 2020 at 6:23 am
Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
I discovered the cost of a train ticket to Paisley Gil St is usually the same cost as one that includes the bus add-on from Paisley to Glasgow Airport so effectively the bus is free.

I personally think the SNP are very narrow minded about airport rail links. The Glasgow one was very simple, adding a connection to the central station via Paisley. Work even commenced on the project before it was scrapped.

The Edinburgh Rail link was more ambitious, if wikipedia is right it sounded like the proposes plans would make the station at EDI similar to Schiphol or Gatwick with regular train services to many destinations running through it. I think out of both of them the EDI scheme would have been most useful, but to scrap both is stupidity.

As I don't know much about Scottish politics I wonder if their other policies are so bad for the country that they're trying to make independent?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:22 am

Programs: BA Exec, Flying Blue
Here I met the Aviance lounge agent who was getting the bus to work - I had a chat with her about cost cutting - she said that Willie was getting rid of breakfast on the early morning domestics now.

Are the hot breakfasts really being withdrawn?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The rail project was a joke from the start with constant enquiries holding it up. Costs spiralled out of control to the point where it just wasn't feasible to go ahead with it any more. To be honest the airport is so close to the city centre having a rail link is of little benefit as no one is going to carry heavy bags on and off trains when using a taxi straight from your door is both cheaper and quicker in most cases.
When we used to stay in Glasgow getting to the airport by public transport was a non starter and even if the rail link had existed it would still have taken over an hour to get there. A fifteen minute taxi ride through the Clyde Tunnel costing on average 14 did us fine and was a damn sight more comfortable than the train/bus option.
High speed rail links are fine for those airports stuck miles away from the cities they serve.....GLA and EDI do not need them.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Exec
To be fair, if the crew "just did their job" on what amounts to a 40-minute hop then I would be satisfied as a customer. If the crew did or said something unreasonable then I might consider raising a complaint.

Depending on the circumstances, I don't think there's much time hang around getting to know the customers after everyone has been fed and watered (assuming there's any food left to serve) on an AMS/CDG/MAN etc.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by Bar Operator
To be fair, if the crew "just did their job" on what amounts to a 40-minute hop then I would be satisfied as a customer. If crew did or said something unreasonable then I might consider raising a complaint.
I guess this is one drawback of a brilliant crew, when you deal with a normal one things look bad.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:14 am

To be fair, if the crew "just did their job" on what amounts to a 40-minute hop then I would be satisfied as a customer. If the crew did or said something unreasonable then I might consider raising a complaint.

Depending on the circumstances, I don't think there's much time hang around getting to know the customers after everyone has been fed and watered (assuming there's any food left to serve) on an AMS/CDG/MAN etc.
This suggests what? The line between BA being a "full service" airline & the LCCs becomes hazier still? Non verbal behaviour accounts for a lot.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
It's difficult for the crew to do anything more on these short flights. 40 minutes in the air to serve up to 200 people leaves little time for all the niceties and I have all admiration for crews on these very short runs. Often it's a longer flight from LON-GLA/EDI than it is LON-AMS. I've been on many AMS flights in the last two years and I've yet to see the crew have time for anything but serving, clearing away and preparing the cabin for landing.
That said, they should have shut the curtain and it's wrong that they didn't. I've also been on a flight where this didn't happen.

However, and I'm sorry to say this, but increasingly FT is a place for people to have a good kick at airport staff, be they crew, ground staff, loaders, engineering, etc. It's really becoming very depressing and I venture to suggest largely uncalled for. Too many of us seem to think we know exactly how things run and the reasons for the way BA do them - it's all a conspiracy don't you know.

I was in M&S today and I got staff "just doing their job". Last week Waitrose, Tesco and the local hairdressers were just the same. When I phone my bank they're rude and lacking in knowledge. Is there an internet forum I can join so I can insult all these people and say they should be sacked for not being 100% perfect every minute of every single day.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BA5211A
This suggests what? The line between BA being a "full service" airline & the LCCs becomes hazier still? Non verbal behaviour accounts for a lot.
I haven't the foggiest what you're on about.

Indeed sunrisegirl. To expect much on a 40 minute flight is ridiculous. I've flown on full service airlines on flights lasting the same length of time - some even longer and received nothing more than a welcome and goodbye with nothing in between.
IMO M&S staff are nowhere near as good as they used to be.....if you can find one that is. It's not only the airline industry that is changing.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:31 am

The GLA connection via paisley train station is horrible. A bad welcome to Scotland...
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Yeh, thanks for all the comments - I am just on my way home now in T5 Galleries North.

My issue is really that the crew on LHR to AMS seemed bored, disinterested and not really caring about the airline.

And somebody mentioned M&S - don't get me started on their staff !!!!!!

BA staff (even on this weak leg) were high and above M&S staff!
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Not that I am defending anyone, however, many band 1 and 2 flights are called "links" for us... which are either the start or end of a 2 day 6 sector, or 3 day 8 sector trip.

Example:
Day 1: LHR-GLA, GLA-LHR, LHR-LIS
Day 2: LIS-LHR, LHR-WAW
Day 3: WAW-LHR, LHR-AMS, AMS-LHR.

It may have been nothing more than the crew operating your GLA were on day 1 and the crew operating your AMS were on day 3.

Whist may not seem much of anything to someone who does not fly, but being those last two sectors of a trip can be a killer. Want to go home, 2 sectors to go, 2 nights out of your own bed etc...

Not excusing it, but maybe a factor.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:23 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
... Is there an internet forum I can join so I can insult all these people and say they should be sacked for not being 100% perfect every minute of every single day.
... not that i am aware of, but it usually is a sign of starting to hit mature years and feeling an overwhelming urge to write to the Daily Hate Mail in green ink
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA Exec, Flying Blue
Hot breakfasts going as well?

Sorry to ask this again (see earler post on this thread) but is it true that even the hot breakfasts are going on domestic routes?
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by djkenrob
Sorry to ask this again (see earler post on this thread) but is it true that even the hot breakfasts are going on domestic routes?
No.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.