Search

Cabin Crew making a point

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:01 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Cabin Crew making a point

I came home last night on 188 EWR-LHR in CW, on the sleeper service. I was told by one of the FAs that it was the first trip they had done with the new (fewer) crew. They certainly made their feelings clear with what I though were rather petty gestures. My jacket was not picked up so I carried it to the galley, and was told that it was because there were fewer staff. Someone near me did not get a paper, and someone else no wash bag. Same excuse parroted out. Interestingly, the CSD in his announcement said "....and I (sigh) will be looking after Club World".

If felt a bit like a low-key dirty protest.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Given how high feelings are running about this and how it came about, I suspect that there are some that will make a point as publicly as possible that the new crewing levels don't work, regardless of whether they can in practice.

The Sleeper Service is much reduced service in CW in any event!

The union's lawyers are also asking crew to provide evidence on new crewing levels in preparation for the court case.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by squeeler

These are the very people BA need to weed out.....bad attitude and not very professional.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
The tone and level of crew service is set by the CSD. Judging by the CSD announcement, your observations are not surprising. I suspect that if there were a full complement of crew, this is a CSD you would not be seeing around the plane doing much. It is a shame that there are senior staff like these still leading teams on board.

Dont get me wrong. The majority of my flight have had excellent staff and the common theme was CSD who was on the ball. However, I have had some flights where the crew service not up to very much.

Cabin crew need to be reminded like the UK postal staff. If pax change airlines, its them who will suffer, not their bosses and management. Other industries like mining, car manufacturers, etc have had to see change to their industry and work practice.

If the crew are really struggling, thats one thing and pax will show their support. In this situation, it appears that their actions were intentional and only put pax off the crew, not BA.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KenJohn
The tone and level of crew service is set by the CSD. Judging by the CSD announcement, your observations are not surprising. I suspect that if there were a full complement of crew, this is a CSD you would not be seeing around the plane doing much. It is a shame that there are senior staff like these still leading teams on board.

Dont get me wrong. The majority of my flight have had excellent staff and the common theme was CSD who was on the ball. However, I have had some flights where the crew service not up to very much.

Cabin crew need to be reminded like the UK postal staff. If pax change airlines, its them who will suffer, not their bosses and management. Other industries like mining, car manufacturers, etc have had to see change to their industry and work practice.

If the crew are really struggling, thats one thing and pax will show their support. In this situation, it appears that their actions were intentional and only put pax off the crew, not BA.
Whilst I agree with much of what you state, considering the sector you work in and your current employer I would be a little careful about your phrasing.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 1:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by HIDDY
These are the very people BA need to weed out.....bad attitude and not very professional.
I agree. If they cannot stay professional and if they are 'taking it out on passengers', they should not be in the service industry. Proper industrial action is one thing, but this kind of behaviour is totally another.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Whilst I agree with much of what you state, considering the sector you work in and your current employer I would be a little careful about your phrasing.
I do which is why I make the above comments.

I have been asked to do a lot more with fewer colleagues. I have taken a slight reduction in status and a large reduction in remuneration. I have been just been grateful for keeping a job while many good friends have been made redundant. This situation is not unique to BA.

However, I do really enjoy what I do and that keeps me going. It is about making to most of the situation you are in. Life is too short to show that you miserable for a long period of time.

Just as well I use Pucci and BBB as my role models.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Have you considered that theses service shortfalls might have been because there is one less crew in club for boarding? The CSD who is the fourth crewmember working in club is at the door boarding so can’t help. Personally I don’t think it was a protest just a result of the crew reductions.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:00 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by squeeler
I came home last night on 188 EWR-LHR in CW, on the sleeper service. I was told by one of the FAs that it was the first trip they had done with the new (fewer) crew. They certainly made their feelings clear with what I though were rather petty gestures. My jacket was not picked up so I carried it to the galley, and was told that it was because there were fewer staff. Someone near me did not get a paper, and someone else no wash bag. Same excuse parroted out. Interestingly, the CSD in his announcement said "....and I (sigh) will be looking after Club World".

Are they reducing the crew on the 777 as well?

I had thought (clearly incorrectly) that it was just on the 747s
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the crew reduction is one and sometimes two off all longhaul aircraft.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, Scandic 3rd Floor, PC Pleb, FB Off White, Tufty Club
Does that mean we shoulde expect n/s AVOD to stay that way for longer, as the CSD will be helping service one of the cabins? On the flights I have taken recently, dealing with dodgy AVOD seems to take a pretty large amount of the CSDs time.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CSD's will focus on the cabin service and not any AVOD or customer service issues.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:35 am

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
Does the one-less crew bring it inline with LGW staff ? Or is this a further fleet wide reduction AND a CSD now being required to perform cabin service.

On the long haul out of there the Cabin Manager has recently always been part of the cabin service effort.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by BugAlugs
Does the one-less crew bring it inline with LGW staff ? Or is this a further fleet wide reduction AND a CSD now being required to perform cabin service.

On the long haul out of there the Cabin Manager has recently always been part of the cabin service effort.
It brings it in line with LGW. Despite the LHR rumour machine LGW crew score well with customer feedback and I can also say that I have never had a bad crew out of there either.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 4:06 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Have you considered that theses service shortfalls might have been because there is one less crew in club for boarding? The CSD who is the fourth crewmember working in club is at the door boarding so can’t help. Personally I don’t think it was a protest just a result of the crew reductions.
I am sure it was a result of the smaller team, but it was the way that the guys kept making the point that was noticeable. It was like listening to a politician being asked a question in various forms, and repeatedly responding with the same party line that had been drummed into them at media training. It eventually becomes counter-productive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.